Dead line but working broadband

Old April 8th 19, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

Default Dead line but working broadband

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
Over here FTT-anything goes via the local exchange.

Actually no! At least not in most rural areas.

The FTTC cabinets are daisy chained on fibre back to a major head end
exchange.

Locally, the FTTC cabinet splits out voice from data. The voice traffic
does go back to the local exchange via copper (and the old cabinet), the
broadband data goes down the fibre to the head end exchange where it is
handed off to the ISP's backbone.
--
Invalid
Old April 8th 19, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 08/04/2019 11:49, Invalid wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
Over here FTT-anything goes via the local exchange.

Actually no! At least not in most rural areas.

The FTTC cabinets are daisy chained on fibre back to a major head end
exchange.

Locally, the FTTC cabinet splits out voice from data. The voice traffic
does go back to the local exchange via copper (and the old cabinet), the
broadband data goes down the fibre to the head end exchange where it is
handed off to the ISP's backbone.

Out here in rural land the fibre from the roadside cabs does go back to
the local exhnage.

Not sure about the next door village exchange that is fed via microwave
dish...

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Old April 8th 19, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
Over here FTT-anything goes via the local exchange.

Actually no! At least not in most rural areas.

The FTTC cabinets are daisy chained on fibre back to a major head end
exchange.

Locally, the FTTC cabinet splits out voice from data. The voice traffic
does go back to the local exchange via copper (and the old cabinet), the
broadband data goes down the fibre to the head end exchange where it is
handed off to the ISP's backbone.

And different streets/villages take different routes back to exchange. Our
phone line goes directly to the exchange, not via a green cabinet. That
makes the cable length *far* too long to support VDSL/FTTC; even ADSL is
only 2000/450 kbps. But lines from a nearby village which is closer to the
exchange go to a nearby cabinet, so they can get VDSL.

I found that out when we had a total failure of our voice connection, due to
water in an underground sump somewhere between our house and the exchange.
It took BT OR two days to discover the route that our lines took, because
they assumed (not unreasonably) that our village would go to the cabinet,
and only later learned that their maps were incorrect and had never been
updated when the phone lines changed from being multiplexed on a DACS to
each house having a separate line back to the exchange - so the maps were
about 20 years out of date! The engineer updated them there and then for
future reference.

Old April 8th 19, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 07/04/2019 22:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 07/04/2019 21:52, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 07/04/2019 13:33, Lucifer wrote:

The local exchange is not used with FTT?.

Every single statement that you've made in this thread contains errors,
so clearly you know SFA about POTS, ADSL, and FTT[CP] in the UK.

You've got a bigpond address. That puts you on the wrong side of the
planet for uk newsgroups. But at least explains why you

can't

spell

kerb.

So, as seemed obvious from its first post, this is a troll, probably Rod
'idiot' Speed, probably because it's got bored of being plonked, and
therefore ignored, in other uk.* ngs, so it's looking for another ng to
inflict its childish and moronic stupidity upon.

Over here FTT-anything goes via the local exchange.

Of course it does.

Please mind your attributions.

(You've pulled me up correctly on curb though - which is the correct
spelling when it's part of a horse's bridle, though not the edge of a road)

Andy
Old April 8th 19, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 08/04/2019 21:37, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 07/04/2019 22:17, Java Jive wrote:

On 07/04/2019 21:52, Vir Campestris wrote:

You've got a bigpond address. That puts you on the wrong side of the
planet for uk newsgroups. But at least explains why you

can't

spell

kerb.

Please mind your attributions.

(You've pulled me up correctly on curb though - which is the correct
spelling when it's part of a horse's bridle, though not the edge of a road)

AFAICS, my attributions were correct as quoted, and now for a second
time you have been ambiguous about kerb/curb, which is why I felt it
necessary to correct you the first time.

For the benefit of any foreigner reading this thread:

1) In the UK, the division between road and pavement is spelled 'kerb',
and FTTC stands for Fibre To The Cabinet.

2) Why are you wasting your time here? That's a rhetorical question by
the way, don't waste your or anyone else's time answering it.
Old April 9th 19, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 08/04/2019 21:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
(You've pulled me up correctly on curb though - which is the correct
spelling when it's part of a horse's bridle, though not the edge of a road)

curb is also US alternative for that

Mark Twain
Old April 9th 19, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 07/04/2019 13:35, Lucifer wrote:
On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 13:15:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 07/04/2019 13:04, Lucifer wrote:
With Fibre To The Curb/Connection point, the phone is provided
via the same connection as the data. The original exchange is no
longer used.

There is no such service in the United Kingdom
FTTC is Fibre to the Cabinet.

You are talking about FTTN.

The acronyms are different in the UK.
UK FTTC == US FTTN
UK FTTP == US FTTC BTW we spell kerb with a k here. In the UK a curb is
a part of a horses harness, or a means of restraining something.

FTTRN is the joke one that costs as much as FTTC to install and run but
supplies only a handful of homes with any kind of service. It was rolled
out in a few remote places in North Yorkshire and has sunk without
trace. Interestingly my village is now a phase III FTTC zone but I still
thing that hell will freeze over before they run fibre to our village.

Being replaced by FTTP = Fibre to the Premises.

Please note that these are UK specific newsgroups.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown