Dead line but working broadband

Old January 19th 19, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Dead line but working broadband

Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 19th 19, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

Yes I've seen ADSL working on one leg, usually with impaired
performance, bur sometimes quite well.

Remember though with VDSL the likely scenario is that both legs are
probably connecting the cabinet to your premises and it's gone one
legged between the exchange and the cabinet, which of course is voice
only.

I take it Sky is your POTS provider? Just report it as a dead POTS
line.
Use Sipgate :-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 19th 19, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 1/18/2019 7:08 PM, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

When I had a similar problem, it was a problem with the router - but
that was using BT and their Home Hub.
Old January 19th 19, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Recliner[_3_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

I had a very recent situation where my broadband worked fine, and so did my
phone for outgoing calls. But I had complaints from friends that I was
blocking them, which of course I wasn't. I discovered that incoming calls
were being cut off before the phone even rang. 1471 could see them, but my
call logger couldn't.

BT insisted that their tests showed that the fault was in my property,
which I didn't believe. The BT UK help lines weren't very effective, but
when I called in the late evening to query the lack of news, I got the
Indian after-hours call centre. The polite and efficient Indian lady was
rather better, and immediately booked an Openreach appointment. She warned
me that I might have to pay if the fault was with my equipment. The
appointment was soon confirmed by email.

The Openreach technician showed up early, and soon agreed with me that the
problem was in the low quality, noisy old cable from the green cabinet to a
junction box near my property. He then spent several hours re-routing my
line to a different, better underground cable to the green box. It worked,
and my line was back in action, with less crackly phone calls, and better
broadband. I'm back up to a steady 47-49 Mbps download speed.

Old January 19th 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Thanks for the replies, it was to be back up and running this morning,
so no idea what the problem was. Very strange.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 20th 19, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 00:08:16 UTC, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

The broadband is transferred to fibre at the cabinet, so the wire break is between there and the exchange.

Quite a common fault.

Use Voip (e.g. Voipfone) for now and save money.
Old January 20th 19, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 19/01/2019 18:53, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Thanks for the replies, it was to be back up and running this morning,
so no idea what the problem was. Very strange.

Most likely a fault somewhere between the fibre cabinet and the
exchange. Things in the fibre cabinet or in the PCP can get accidentally
disturbed when Openreach are working on another line in the same cabinet(s).

It could also be a fault at the exchange.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old January 20th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Mark Carver

On 20/01/2019 18:55, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 19/01/2019 18:53, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Thanks for the replies, it was to be back up and running this morning,
so no idea what the problem was. Very strange.

Most likely a fault somewhere between the fibre cabinet and the
exchange. Things in the fibre cabinet or in the PCP can get accidentally
disturbed when Openreach are working on another line in the same
cabinet(s).

It could also be a fault at the exchange.

I agree, but it's also possible it was between the cabinet and home.

Yonks ago with bog standard ADSL we lost our voice circuit, but the
ADSL carried on, albeit at a reduced sync rate, and increased errors.

The tell tale sign which side of the FTTC cabinet the fault would be in
the case of VDSL would be the sync rate. If it's not affected, then the
fault is almost certainly upstream of the cabinet on the copper line.

--
Mark
Old January 20th 19, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 18:55:15 +0000, Brian Gregory wrote:

Thanks for the replies, it was to be back up and running this morning,
so no idea what the problem was. Very strange.

Most likely a fault somewhere between the fibre cabinet and the
exchange. Things in the fibre cabinet or in the PCP can get accidentally
disturbed when Openreach are working on another line in the same cabinet(s).

The fibre cabinet to the exchange is only fibre, no voice. That still
goes to the old cabinet via copper so it's this line that's likely to
be the problem. I have had no voice but good ADSL though when my line
lost an argument with a tree. The ADSL just skipped the gap with not
noticable change in speed but the voice side was dead.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old January 21st 19, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 19/01/2019 00:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Picked up the phone to make a call earlier on and the line was totally
dead, no dial tone, nothing, even at the master socket.

Strange thing is, broadband is still working perfectly, no speed drop or
anything. I know that sometimes one leg of the line can become
disconnected, but when that's happened before I've had a significant
drop in speed.

Anyone got any ideas..? We are on FTTC with Sky and of course their
so-called "help" desk has gone home...

A number of years ago my shop line was dead.
ADSL still working. Called BT who discovered a major bundle of wires
coming from the exchange had been severed. No quick fix. Looking at 2
weeks which actually turned out to be 4 weeks by the time they finally
sorted out the catastrophe.
In all that time I could keep the business running with VOIP and
plugging the card terminal into P.O.T.S. port on the back of my draytek
VG router. Didn't have any loss in speed either.