How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN?

Old February 7th 19, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default How do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN?

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I'm trying alternative approaches to try and overcome the 'no DHCP
response' issue I'm seeing when 'WiFi roaming' around the house.

Have you confirmed it is that? e.g, if you temporarily put the laptop
on a static IP addr does it roam between APs OK?

I must try that when it happens. It *feels* like it's something lower
level in the NetworkManager/WiFi initialisation but the above is
definitely a good idea to narrow things down a bit.

Does the wireless access point connect to the router by wire or WiFi?

It's wired.

Your Draytek has a "LAN port mirror" option, so you could mirror the
traffic on the port used for the Wireless Access Point and watch the
network traffic using a suitable spare PC and software. I can't see
that the Draytek can mirror traffic from its Wifi connection.

That's getting a bit serious but could be quite educational as well!

--
Chris Green

Old February 7th 19, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jerry Brown

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 09:11:14 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
I recently built a PC for my son using one of those new AMD Ryzen CPU
chips. The network name I gave it is "Ryzen-Shine".

It's important not to be dull.

Many years ago I got to choose the names of the machines in our
VAXCluster.

The big 8800 was Saturn, and the two 8200s were Janus and Titan. Later I
added my own VAXStation, named Phoebe.

Yes, we named our development servers after planets and their moons. For
some reason we never used the name Uranus ;-)

https://dilbert.com/strip/1994-08-01

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Old February 8th 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Bartram

On 07/02/2019 13:01, Chris Green wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Your Draytek has a "LAN port mirror" option, so you could mirror the
traffic on the port used for the Wireless Access Point and watch the
network traffic using a suitable spare PC and software. I can't see
that the Draytek can mirror traffic from its Wifi connection.

That's getting a bit serious but could be quite educational as well!

IME, breaking out the sniffer is often educational, but can lead you
down a maze of twisty passages, all alike :-)
Old February 8th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 08:44:15 -0000, "NY" wrote:

On 06/02/2019 19:16, Roderick Stewart wrote:
The laptop is called "Kzosno". (Try and work out why).

Well Google Translate tells me that "kzosno" is Bulgarian for "Oh yeah", but
I'm sure that is a red herring. Go on, put us out of our misery: why is the
laptop called "Kzosno"?

"I'm sorry Dave, I''m afraid I can't do that..."

Rod.
Old February 8th 19, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 06/02/2019 12:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 06/02/2019 11:29, Paul Welsh wrote:

I don't understand. pfSense is a router, it does this by default, you
don't need another router.

Apologies, my mistake* -* I've not come across that brand of router
before, and thought you were referring to a piece of software.

I needn't've apologised, as you yourself stated it was software up thread:

On 06/02/2019 10:24, Paul Welsh wrote:
pfSense DHCP server updates its local DNS resolver with DHCP leases.
The actual software is free and suitable hardware costs around 140.

Also ...
https://www.pfsense.org/
.... however they also have associated products ...
https://www.pfsense.org/products/
.... although these would be beyond the reach of most home users, though
perhaps not that of small businesses.

Also, their own hardware doesn't appear to support WiFi, so cannot be
considered a like-for-like replacement of a SOHo router, such as a
DrayTek Vigor, and a brief search of eBay UK also didn't find anything
that could be so considered.

So, unless you can suggest suitable router hardware such as recent
models of DV - which have triple WAN, WiFi to n or ac, gigabit ports,
and on some models VoIP support - I think this is something of an
irrelevance.

Old February 8th 19, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Perkins

On 05/02/2019 08:42:27, Chris Green wrote:
As mentioned in another thread I'm having problems managing DNS on my
LAN. This is more of a rant than a question but I'd still quite like
to know how other people manage things.

I have Plusnet FTTC (irrelevant to the current issue) and a Draytek
2860n router connecting our NAT'ed LAN to it. There are quite a few
'things' which I need to connect to at times on the LAN:-

Desktop PC
Laptop PC
Printer
Backup machine
Gigaset base station
Draytek router
Second router used as Access Point

snip

Perhaps not the most ornate solution but I tend to use fixed IP
addresses where appropriate, like printer etc, and DHCP for items when
it simply doesn't matter. I keep the range 1-64 outside of the DHCP
assignment range.

If I can't see something on the network I use Colasoft Mac Scanner which
is free, well, the one I use is. That way I can detect if an item on the
network has gone AWOL without checking any further.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Old February 8th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Mike Perkins wrote:
[...]

I use 'arp-scan' on the command line to check what devices are
actually connected, then a script using nmap for more detail.

--
Chris Green

Old February 22nd 19, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Your Draytek has a "LAN port mirror" option, so you could mirror the
traffic on the port used for the Wireless Access Point and watch the
network traffic using a suitable spare PC and software. I can't see
that the Draytek can mirror traffic from its Wifi connection.

That's getting a bit serious but could be quite educational as well!

IME, breaking out the sniffer is often educational, but can lead you
down a maze of twisty passages, all alike :-)

Wow. Somebody remembers "Collosal Cave" ;-)

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.