Routers

Old February 11th 19, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Michael Chare[_2_]

Default Routers

On 10/02/2019 14:20, Java Jive wrote:
On 09/02/2019 11:52, Andy Burns wrote:

MikeS wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765
plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

Thanks.* Got it for under a tenner inc P&P :-)* Got to be worth it even
if only on an experimental basis!

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.

Choose a dongle you've seen someone else has working.

I already have a Huawei E3372, which I'm hoping will work.

And the HH5a is on the list, as far as I'm concerned it *is* the
wonderbeast of openWRT devices, all gigabit ports, internal ADSL/VDSL
modem, dual band "ac" wifi, USB port ... all for £5

Yes, got to be worth a try before lashing out on anything more expensive.

Yes you need some linux knowledge, but I'm sure Charles can handle
that, you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial
console connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one
of the £20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.

That's not so good* -* these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron.* Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Soldering the serial is difficult, I ended up pulling a bit of the
circuit board when the wire I attached got moved. There is a non solder
method using cooking foil and sticky tape which I will try next. I also
ended up with a HH5B when the box I bought on ebay was not precisely
described and I was not careful enough to check properly.

Old February 11th 19, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 10/02/2019 22:56, Andy Burns wrote:

You need a* 3.3V TTL-R232 dongle, and only need to solder RX/TX/GND
points, plus one extra pin to short to GND to put it into a special boot
mode.

I have a Sony DKU-5 cable that I can use on the remaining Cisco LinkSys
WRT320n and my Zyxel NSA221 NASs. I also have a TUMPA.
Old February 11th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

I also have a TUMPA

That's certainly 3.3V
Old February 14th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Bartram

On 11/02/2019 10:12, Michael Chare wrote:

Soldering the serial is difficult, I ended up pulling a bit of the
circuit board when the wire I attached got moved.* There is a non solder
method using cooking foil and sticky tape which I will try next. I also
ended up with a HH5B when the box I bought on ebay was not precisely
described and I was not careful enough to check properly.

A friend of mine tried soldering the serial and broke the device. He's
pretty competent, so it must be a bit tricky.
Old February 14th 19, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeS

On 14/02/2019 15:01, Chronos wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 13:27:09 +0000
Chris Bartram wrote:

A friend of mine tried soldering the serial and broke the device.
He's pretty competent, so it must be a bit tricky.

It's a doddle but it's also very easy to lift the tracks of those test
points. I tend to solder to the TP side of the resistor on those
tracks instead, which is much better attached to the substrate than a
little test point that was only intended to be prodded once by a probe
in an ICT machine.

Use Kynar® insulated silver plated hookup wire and you won't knock the
0603 resistor off with too much solder, either. That stuff sticks like
excrement to the proverbial blanket with the tiniest amount of tinning.
Use hot glue to secure the resulting tails to the board - you *will*
need the serial console again one day.

A much easier way to knacker a HH5A is to communicate with it using 5V
I/O. They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring.

The first three words of your post (It's a doddle) seem to be at 180
degrees to the rest of it.

A question comes to mind - how many BT routers did you wreck whilst
learning what not to do?

Old February 16th 19, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MikeS wrote:

how many BT routers did you wreck whilst learning what not to do?

I've soldered three, broken none, I'm no better than "OK" at soldering,
I did use a pointed bit instead of my usual chisel tipped bit, here's a
photo ...

http://andyburns.uk/lede/hh5a-soldering.jpg

For scale, that chip at the top is about 11mm. Some finer wire might
make it easier, but I was using pre-terminated JST connectors to allow
disconnecting/reconnecting the console if required in future.

Other photos that might help spudging, and my scribbled notes available
if they might help ...
Old February 16th 19, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 10/02/2019 14:20, Java Jive wrote:

That's not so good* -* these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron.* Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Well, it arrived yesterday, and I spent half the night doing the job,
but I think I can be fairly pleased with the result:
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/20190216_071340.jpg

The solder pads are certainly very small, so, bearing in mind the
cautions of others about ripping the tracks off the PCB, I chose the
flimsiest flex I could find - which in a former life had connected the
cartridge head of a vinyl turntable to a connector underneath its base
- in the hope that if I was accidentally a little rough, the flex would
break rather than the tracks rip off the PCB. In the event, despite
some provocation, neither of these mishaps occurred. For the other end,
I cut out a bit of old veroboard (what a strange smell that stuff has)
to the same dimension as the label in the back slot, planning to slide
it into that instead of the label, but then I realised that not only was
that a little too tight a fit for comfort, but there were four
convenient mounting points inside the case immediately behind the slot,
so I mounted it on those with the smallest screws I had, having drilled
a hole in the back in the middle of the slot to allow the pins to be
accessed from the outside, and holes for the screws The pins were the
standard breadboard/veroboard type, and were arranged so that I could
use the same connector as for my Zyxel NSA221 NASs without any further
hassle. Ta-da, success! So now the pins are covered by the label card,
the only really noticeable external evidence being that it bulges
slightly in the middle where they protrude about 1mm beyond the surface
of the case, but then at my age I too am bulging in the middle, so I'm
not complaining.

One thing that wasn't clear from the instructions was how to load the
temporary u-boot, but finally I twigged that you had to load it as a
text file, select all of it, and paste it into Putty (rt-click). Once
I'd got that far, it was, truly, a doddle.

So now I'm connecting via ADSL and have proper local DNS, but now I have
to work out how to get the Huawei USB 4G stick to work. I was too tired
to accomplish this last night, and there didn't seem to be anything in
the flashing instructions, so any pointers would be useful.

Tx for all the advice, which was instrumental in obtaining a good
outcome first time.
Old February 16th 19, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 16/02/2019 11:52, Java Jive wrote:

... but now I have
to work out how to get the Huawei USB 4G stick to work.

Been stuck and tearing my hair out on this all day. A search for ...
openwrt with Huawei E3372
.... gets plenty of hits over the first few pages, but they're all from
several years ago, and tell me to install several modules, many of which
seem now to be in the kernel, because there's no separate download for
them. For example (anonymized):

[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
Package usb-modeswitch (2017-12-19-f40f84c2-1) installed in root is up
to date.
Package kmod-mii (4.9.120-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package kmod-usb-net (4.9.120-1) installed in root is up to date.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-wdm.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package uqmi.

[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Unknown package 'wwan'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wwan.

The two packages most consistently appearing in these lists are ...
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether
usb-modeswitch
.... which both installed successfully, but the USB modem doesn't get
found and listed in the possible interfaces or devices:

[email protected]:~# ifconfig
br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet addr:000.111.222.333 Bcast:000.111.222.333
Mask:000.111.222.333
inet6 addr: fd05:2a4d:2b0c::1/60 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1079193 (1.0 MiB) TX bytes:7454274 (7.1 MiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1348130 (1.2 MiB) TX bytes:7556306 (7.2 MiB)

eth0.1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1065365 (1.0 MiB) TX bytes:7441854 (7.0 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:000.111.222.333 Mask:000.111.222.333
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:400844 (391.4 KiB) TX bytes:400844 (391.4 KiB)

pppoa-wan Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:000.111.222.333 P-t-P:000.111.222.333
Mask:000.111.222.333
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:3829117 (3.6 MiB) TX bytes:436937 (426.6 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:14207 (13.8 KiB) TX bytes:64295 (62.7 KiB)

wlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:813 (813.0 B) TX bytes:46826 (45.7 KiB)

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most grateful.
Old February 17th 19, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chronos[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on February 24, 2019.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:08:05 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.

Have you performed an opkg update? Like apt, opkg needs to know the
file name, size and hash of the remote package before it will do
anything with the install directive. There's also a very good chance
that whatever build you're using doesn't have those packages compiled
as modules (installable by opkg) and you *may* have to build your own,
which sounds daunting but with OpenWRT's buildroot is fairly
straightforward.

You'll also need mwan3 and its associated luci front-end for failover
duty, which pulls in iproute2 and associated advanced routing bits. You
can do it manually with hotplugd and iproute2 (I use a wireguard VPN and
have iproute2 directing traffic between the main WAN and the VPN using
ip rule statements and tagging) but it's much faff on the command
line.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time

Old February 17th 19, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most grateful.

Presumably it's got the "Hilink mode" firmware, rather than the "Stick
mode" firmware installed?

If you plug it into a Windows PC (with wifi and ethernet disabled) do
you see an additional 'ethernet over USB' interface with a router
address, I think it has a web interface on that address.

I replaced mine with stick mode, and that works fine on a Fedora PC with
ModemManager/NetworkManager, but not with openWRT as it crashes a lantiq
USB module.

You seem to have the right sort of extras installed, here's my list that
I install after every upgrade, obviously they're not all dongle related...

opkg install curl htop ip-full lm-sensors procps-ng-ps arp-scan
opkg install luci luci-app-sqm luci-proto-ncm luci-app-wol
opkg install usb-modeswitch usbutils comgt-ncm minicom
opkg install kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-nf-nathelper-extra