Routers

Old February 17th 19, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

Default Routers

On 17/02/2019 09:00, Chronos wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:08:05 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.

Have you performed an opkg update? Like apt, opkg needs to know the
file name, size and hash of the remote package before it will do
anything with the install directive.

Yes, I have, before installing the two that worked.

There's also a very good chance
that whatever build you're using

openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-bt_homehub-v5a-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

doesn't have those packages compiled
as modules (installable by opkg) and you *may* have to build your own,
which sounds daunting but with OpenWRT's buildroot is fairly
straightforward.

Oh yech! My experience of trying to improve my NASs this way didn't end
well!

You'll also need mwan3

[email protected]:~# opkg install mwan3
Installing mwan3 (2.6.18-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...6.18-1_all.ipk
Installing libmnl (1.0.4-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
[...]
Configuring kmod-nfnetlink.
[...]
Configuring mwan3.
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Failed to parse message data
Failed to parse message data

and its associated luci front-end

How would I install that?

for failover
duty, which pulls in iproute2 and associated advanced routing bits. You
can do it manually with hotplugd and iproute2 (I use a wireguard VPN and
have iproute2 directing traffic between the main WAN and the VPN using
ip rule statements and tagging) but it's much faff on the command
line.

Last part of that is a little beyond me, but failover might be important
- if by that is meant that if one WAN source fails another seamlessly
takes its place.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but when
I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very unreliable -
the moment I started to download anything significant in size it would
lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to pick up the
landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to get things going
again. However, now that the DV has partially died, I'm wondering if
its remaining functionality was and is also flaky, and therefore that
discontinuing my landline may still be a viable option. However, to
make that decision, obviously I need first to get the Huawei to work
reliably with the BTHH5a.
Old February 17th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 17/02/2019 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most
grateful.

Presumably it's got the "Hilink mode" firmware, rather than the "Stick
mode" firmware installed?

Not entirely sure, but I don't think so. when plugged into a laptop,
there is nothing to be found at 192.168.8.1. The Mobile Partner
software version is 23.015.02.00.03, whereas that older debate seemed to
be between 21.x and 22.x.

If you plug it into a Windows PC (with wifi and ethernet disabled) do
you see an additional 'ethernet over USB' interface with a router
address, I think it has a web interface on that address.

IPConfig shows (anonymized):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HUAWEI Mobile Connect -
Network Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.52.xxx
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0000::111:2222:3333:0%6
194.168.8.100
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 February 2019 13:28:44
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 February 2019 13:28:44

Speedtest.net gives me 85ms 24.36Mbps 0.89Mbps

I replaced mine with stick mode, and that works fine on a Fedora PC with
ModemManager/NetworkManager, but not with openWRT as it crashes a lantiq
USB module.

You seem to have the right sort of extras installed, here's my list that
I install after every upgrade, obviously they're not all dongle related...

opkg install curl htop ip-full lm-sensors procps-ng-ps arp-scan
opkg install luci luci-app-sqm luci-proto-ncm luci-app-wol
opkg install usb-modeswitch usbutils comgt-ncm minicom
opkg install kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-nf-nathelper-extra

Ah! STOP PRESS - Some new information!

I hadn't realised that it seems to be necessary to run ...
opkg update
.... before you run ...
opkg install xxx
.... EVEN THOUGH you have updated recently. It seems the data it
produces is volatile and doesn't survive for long - my initial thought
was that most probably it's lost after a system reboot &/or power
cycling, but I've just disproved this. So, for example:

Yesterday, even though ...
opkg update
.... had been performed earlier that day ...

[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
[...]
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-wdm.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package uqmi.
[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Unknown package 'wwan'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wwan.

Today ...

[email protected]:~# opkg update
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...es/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/openwrt_core
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...s/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
[...]
[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
[...]
Installing kmod-usb-wdm (4.9.120-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan (4.9.120-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing uqmi (2016-12-19-8ceeab69-3) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing wwan (2014-07-17-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring kmod-usb-wdm.
Configuring kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
Configuring wwan.
Configuring uqmi.
[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Package wwan (2014-07-17-1) installed in root is up to date.

.... then power-cycle and log back in ...

[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Package wwan (2014-07-17-1) installed in root is up to date.

.... so I don't know how and when the update data was lost yesterday, but
clearly somehow it was so.

And anyway I *still* can't see either anything like eth1 or wwan0 in the
list of interfaces. Grrr!
Old February 17th 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 17/02/2019 11:15, MikeS wrote:

You will need to be sure that the router firmware is finding the modem
and not a USB stick/CDROM with the drivers etc.

I think I'm right in saying that it's not either/or - as long as the
right modules are loaded, both should be found automatically.
Old February 17th 19, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chronos[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on February 24, 2019.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:22:12 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

and its associated luci front-end

How would I install that?

# opkg install luci-app-mwan3

Last part of that is a little beyond me, but failover might be
important - if by that is meant that if one WAN source fails another
seamlessly takes its place.

That is exactly what it means.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but
when I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very
unreliable - the moment I started to download anything significant
in size it would lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to
pick up the landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to
get things going again.

I wonder if Virgin's "unlimited" actually means "terms and conditions,
including a FUP, apply and your kneecaps may be at risk if you exceed
mobe levels of data" which would be pretty much standard for cheap
deals from sh^H^Hmobile networks, especially virtual ones. That could
mean a traffic profile filter kicking in.

However, now that the DV has partially died, I'm wondering if its
remaining functionality was and is also flaky, and therefore that
discontinuing my landline may still be a viable option. However, to
make that decision, obviously I need first to get the Huawei to work
reliably with the BTHH5a.

I'm not seeing a CDC eth1 in your ip a list, just pppoa-wan which
I'm assuming is your DSL connection, which looks to me like the Huawei
is still in one of its other modes. What does manually running
"/etc/init.d/usbmode enable && /etc/init.d/usbmode start" do? If that
brings eth1 into the list, the usb-modeswitch service wasn't enabled
during the package install. At that point you should be able to follow
this:

https://protyposis.net/blog/using-th...-with-openwrt/
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time

Old February 17th 19, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 17/02/2019 15:39, Chronos wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:22:12 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

How would I install that?

# opkg install luci-app-mwan3

Same again, previous update data lost:

[email protected]:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Unknown package 'luci-app-mwan3'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-mwan3.
[email protected]:~# opkg update
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...es/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/openwrt_core
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...s/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
[...]
[email protected]:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Installing luci-app-mwan3 (git-19.046.40869-30d9bc0-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...9bc0-1_all.ipk
Installing libuci-lua (2018-08-11-4c8b4d6e-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring libuci-lua.
Configuring luci-app-mwan3.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but
when I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very
unreliable - the moment I started to download anything significant
in size it would lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to
pick up the landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to
get things going again.

I wonder if Virgin's "unlimited" actually means "terms and conditions,
including a FUP, apply and your kneecaps may be at risk if you exceed
mobe levels of data" which would be pretty much standard for cheap
deals from sh^H^Hmobile networks, especially virtual ones. That could
mean a traffic profile filter kicking in.

Well, there may be, almost certainly is, some sort of traffic control,
but the package is *Unlimited* data, so, while I'd expect some sort of
slow down at busy periods as voice gets preference, I wouldn't expect
being cut off altogether in such a way as the whole connection is f*ked.
If that turns out to be what is really happening, then I'll be calling
in the attention of both Ofcom and the ASA.

I'm not seeing a CDC eth1 in your ip a list, just pppoa-wan which
I'm assuming is your DSL connection,

Yes, correct.

which looks to me like the Huawei
is still in one of its other modes. What does manually running
"/etc/init.d/usbmode enable && /etc/init.d/usbmode start" do?

Nothing, in the sense there is no message returned by the commands, but
I suppose at least that means there was no error, but still nothing new
in ifconfig's output, nor the GUI that I can see, but I note that at the
bottom of the status page there is a section I hadn't noticed before,
the output is in boxes across the page and read:

MWAN Interfaces

Interface: wan

Interface: wan6

Interface: wanb

Interface: wanb6

I am puzzled by both wan6 and wanb. According to the interfaces page,
wan6 should be up and running, but obviously it isn't, so why not? And
is wanb the missing Huawei? If so, why is it present even when the
router is rebooted without the Huawei plugged in? I presume therefore
it's just the ethernet WAN port on the back?

If that
brings eth1 into the list, the usb-modeswitch service wasn't enabled
during the package install. At that point you should be able to follow
this:

https://protyposis.net/blog/using-th...-with-openwrt/

Yes, I think I've seen that page before, also, among others:
https://gist.github.com/bjoern-r/134...6330e688af1441

However, as in my reply to Andy, there's nothing at 192.168.8.1, even
when the Huawei is plugged into a PC.

Old February 17th 19, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

MikeS wrote:

You will need to be sure that the router firmware is finding the modem
and not a USB stick/CDROM with the drivers etc.

I think I'm right in saying that it's not either/or* -* as long as the
right modules are loaded, both should be found automatically.

I think the usb modeswitch utility takes it from cdrom mode to ethernet
or modem mode.
Old February 17th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

Chronos wrote:

whatever build you're using

openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-bt_homehub-v5a-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

if you're using 18.06.1 you shouldn't need to build packages or modules,
I've even found the nightlies include them
Old February 17th 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

Same again, previous update data lost:

[email protected]:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Unknown package 'luci-app-mwan3'.

still sounds like you haven't (successfully?) done an "opkg update"
before doing any "opkg install" commands

I'm on the same version as you and it installs the mwan3 and its
dependencies.
Old February 17th 19, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

And anyway I *still* can't see either anything like eth1 or wwan0 in the
list of interfaces.* Grrr!

I don't think ypu should see /dev/ttyUSB type devoces, because you're
using fake ethernet, rather than fake serial port mode, I'm using the
latter hence instaling minicom in order to send it hayes AT style
commands to "dial" but I suspect you need usbmodeswitch to put the
dongle into fake ethernet mode?

Old February 17th 19, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
MikeS

On 17/02/2019 14:36, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/02/2019 11:15, MikeS wrote:

You will need to be sure that the router firmware is finding the modem
and not a USB stick/CDROM with the drivers etc.

I think I'm right in saying that it's not either/or* -* as long as the
right modules are loaded, both should be found automatically.

I originally bought the TP-Link routers I mentioned previously for use
with 3G dongles. Their firmware simply reported "modem identified" even
on first use, never any indication of a USB drive.

I also used the same dongles with various versions of Windows whose
behavior varied. Sometimes the device no longer appeared as a USB stick
after the modem was installed, other times it was still there even with
the modem working correctly.