Routers

Old February 8th 19, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

Default Routers

Following on from a current thread in uk.telecom.broadband entitled "How
do most people manage IP addresses on their LAN?", which mentioned
DrayTek routers quite a lot, and another in which I mentioned that I'd
just managed to acquire a Virgin Data SIM with unlimited downloads for a
really good price per month ...

I now find that my DrayTek Vigor 2830n has lost its WiFi. I am familiar
with these losing knowledge of their WiFi capabilities after a soft
reboot, evidenced when they comes back up by the disappearance of the
Wireless LAN option in the LH menu, and which can be cured by
power-cycling them, and which was supposedly cured - but in fact not
completely so, it still happened, but less often - by a firmware
update. However this is not that problem, the menu option is there, but
there is no WiFi, nothing can connect to it and WiFi Analyzer on my
tablet sees nothing coming out of it at all. I've tried taking off the
cover and reseating the wireless unit in its connector, but no change,
so, unless anyone can suggest differently, I guess it's just died.

So I'm looking for a new or decent second-hand (used) router which:
* Is for the UK market and available here
* Supports A/VDSL, Data SIM (perhaps via USB), & cable WAN
* Has WiFi to n or ac standard
* Has at least three or four Gigabit LAN ports
* When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local DNS
* Is affordable, say ~ 150 new, half that used.

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?
Old February 8th 19, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Green

In uk.telecom.broadband Java Jive wrote:
[snip tale of woe]

So I'm looking for a new or decent second-hand (used) router which:
* Is for the UK market and available here
* Supports A/VDSL, Data SIM (perhaps via USB), & cable WAN
* Has WiFi to n or ac standard
* Has at least three or four Gigabit LAN ports
* When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local DNS
* Is affordable, say ~ 150 new, half that used.

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

The killer is the LAN/DHCP local DNS bit, finding the rest isn't too
difficult.

--
Chris Green

Old February 8th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

I'm looking for a new or decent second-hand (used) router which:
******** Is for the UK market and available here
******** Supports A/VDSL, Data SIM (perhaps via USB), & cable WAN
******** Has WiFi to n or ac standard
******** Has at least three or four Gigabit LAN ports
******** When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local DNS
******** Is affordable, say ~ 150 new, half that used.

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765

plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.
Old February 8th 19, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 8 February 2019 14:35:32 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

You want a Draytek, but they are double that new.
Old February 8th 19, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

.... and they don't do "When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local
DNS".

--
Chris Green

Old February 9th 19, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
MikeS

On 08/02/2019 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I'm looking for a new or decent second-hand (used) router which:
********* Is for the UK market and available here
********* Supports A/VDSL, Data SIM (perhaps via USB), & cable WAN
********* Has WiFi to n or ac standard
********* Has at least three or four Gigabit LAN ports
********* When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local DNS
********* Is affordable, say ~ 150 new, half that used.

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765

plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.
You need to be sure your chosen router will have sufficient space (the
old TP-Link routers I converted certainly do not).

If you are not familiar with OpenWRT suggest you read their Wiki pages
before buying a router to convert. If nothing else the specific model
needs to be in their extensive list of firmware downloads.

Old February 9th 19, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

MikeS wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765
plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.

Choose a dongle you've seen someone else has working.

You need to be sure your chosen router will have sufficient space (the
old TP-Link routers I converted certainly do not).

HH5a has 128MB of flash and the same of RAM, quite a change from the
original WRT54G with 4MB and 16MB

If you are not familiar with OpenWRT suggest you read their Wiki pages
before buying a router to convert. If nothing else the specific model
needs to be in their extensive list of firmware downloads.

And the HH5a is on the list, as far as I'm concerned it *is* the
wonderbeast of openWRT devices, all gigabit ports, internal ADSL/VDSL
modem, dual band "ac" wifi, USB port ... all for 5

Yes you need some linux knowledge, but I'm sure Charles can handle that,
you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial console
connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one of the
20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.

Old February 10th 19, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive

On 09/02/2019 11:52, Andy Burns wrote:

MikeS wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765
plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

Thanks. Got it for under a tenner inc P&P :-) Got to be worth it even
if only on an experimental basis!

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.

Choose a dongle you've seen someone else has working.

I already have a Huawei E3372, which I'm hoping will work.

And the HH5a is on the list, as far as I'm concerned it *is* the
wonderbeast of openWRT devices, all gigabit ports, internal ADSL/VDSL
modem, dual band "ac" wifi, USB port ... all for 5

Yes, got to be worth a try before lashing out on anything more expensive.

Yes you need some linux knowledge, but I'm sure Charles can handle that,
you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial console
connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one of the
20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.

That's not so good - these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron. Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Tx.
Old February 10th 19, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial
console connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one
of the 20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.

That's not so good

couple of spudgers and take it slow getting the back off to avoid
snapping little bits of plastic, I've done three, I think I found a
youtube video on where to spudge when doing the first one.

-* these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron.* Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

You need a 3.3V TTL-R232 dongle, and only need to solder RX/TX/GND
points, plus one extra pin to short to GND to put it into a special boot
mode.
Old February 10th 19, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

I already have a Huawei E3372, which I'm hoping will work

I think that's what I have, AFAIR the default firmware runs the dongle
in "router mode" where it pretends to be a virtual ethernet device, and
that does work, but I wanted to be able to see 4G signal levels etc, so
I reflashed it into "stick mode" where it's a modem and you use it in
PPP session, that makes it shall we say "a little more interesting" to
get working with openWRT and I would recommend you leave it in the
factory mode :-)