Another "router" question

Old February 11th 19, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

Default Another "router" question

I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test
webserver and allow access via a smartphone.

Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite
nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the
smartphones without an external router.

Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect
to a DHCP server but not how to make your Windows a DHCP provider.

I'm using 10.0.0.x as the IP range, ideally.

--
AnthonyL
Old February 11th 19, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 11/02/2019 13:34, AnthonyL wrote:
I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test
webserver and allow access via a smartphone.

Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite
nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the
smartphones without an external router.

Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect
to a DHCP server but not how to make your Windows a DHCP provider.

I'm using 10.0.0.x as the IP range, ideally.

Make sure that you make a careful and accurate note of your current
connection setting before trying the following, so that if necessary you
can restore them to their current state.

It's a long while and a previous version of Windows since I tried to
share an Internet Connection, but you could try investigating ...
Control Panel
Network and Sharing centre
Change adaptor settings
Choose the connection you want to share
Rt-Click and choose Properties, Sharing, Allow ...

AFAICR, that will turn other devices into clients which receive a DHCP
from Windows. What I can't remember is whether automatically that will
bridge connections so that a WiFi connected device can share an internet
connection via a cabled connection, or vice versa - you may have to
bridge the connections manually, which you would do by selecting them
both, and then choosing Advanced, Bridge connections from the same
Control Panel page.

Perhaps someone will come along and be able to give more precise
instructions, but, if not, the above should get you close.

Old February 11th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test
webserver and allow access via a smartphone.

Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite
nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the
smartphones without an external router.

Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect
to a DHCP server but not how to make your Windows a DHCP provider.

I'm using 10.0.0.x as the IP range, ideally.

If the connection sharing route doesn't do what you need, tftpd32
(which despite the name also ships 64 bit software these days) includes
a DHCP server.

Presumably you're setting the Wifi part up as an Ad-Hoc station to
station connection ?

Nick
Old February 11th 19, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:50:27 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

I had tried setting the Adapter to Ad-hoc which it said it had done
but I couldn't get anything else to connect over WiFi. I know I have
in the past done this on a wired basis on XP or maybe even before.
I'l revisit to check if I missed something.

--
AnthonyL
Old February 11th 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 14:27:11 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I want a local wireless lan on Win 7 without a router to run a test
webserver and allow access via a smartphone.

Thus far I've discovered XAMPP which runs a a local web server quite
nicely but I have not found a way of getting IP address to the
smartphones without an external router.

Searching for DHCP Windows of course brings up loads of how to connect
to a DHCP server but not how to make your Windows a DHCP provider.

I'm using 10.0.0.x as the IP range, ideally.

If the connection sharing route doesn't do what you need, tftpd32
(which despite the name also ships 64 bit software these days) includes
a DHCP server.

Presumably you're setting the Wifi part up as an Ad-Hoc station to
station connection ?

That looks really interesting and useful, thanks.

--
AnthonyL