WiFi enabled camera

Old February 14th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Default WiFi enabled camera

Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

Old February 14th 19, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 14/02/2019 19:06, Tweed wrote:
Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

I have a little Nikon that's WiFi enabled. It creates its own network,
you then connect the phone to it and can transfer the photos to the
device. I have an Android app that works with it.

I must say its clunky and slow, and finding the pics is painful. I
usually take a Netbook with me. Thats also clunky and slow but less
painful than the Android App. Just copy the pics in bulk to a folder on
the Netbook and it then uploads to cloud storage in the background...

Dave
Old February 15th 19, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 14/02/2019 22:39, David Wade wrote:
I have a little Nikon that's WiFi enabled. It creates its own network,
you then connect the phone to it and can transfer the photos to the
device. I have an Android app that works with it.

I must say its clunky and slow, and finding the pics is painful. I
usually take a Netbook with me. Thats also clunky and slow but less
painful than the Android App. Just copy the pics in bulk to a folder on
the Netbook and it then uploads to cloud storage in the background...

Just don't get caught out like POTUS's photographer did with immediate
WiFi transfer of images!

Old February 16th 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 14/02/2019 19:06, Tweed wrote:
Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

If the camera connects to you local network then it might appear on the
system as a separate hard drive, or (more likely) the software provided
with the camera will do it for you.

If you want a camera with quality that has wi-fi look at the Panasonic
Lumix TZ80/90/100/200 (which all have a viewfinder), or if the camera
you want to use doesn't have built-in wi-fi you can get a SD card that
is also a wi-fi transponder.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old February 19th 19, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

On 14/02/2019 19:06, Tweed wrote:
Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

---
https://www.avg.com

All the ones I have seen create their own network, which you then attach
your smartphone / device to. The smartphone app can then take control of
the camera, with a live real time remote viewfinder on the smartphone.
Pictures files can then be transferred to the smartphone, and when you
turn the camera off, the wifi network simply disappears and you can
connect to your normal network and upload the pictures to anywhere you like.

Its very useful for remote control of the camera (for wildlife pics and
self portraits etc) and I know for a fact that some of these small
cameras have wifi with a good enough range for you to send the camera up
in a drone and do some aerial photography.

Some of the larger drones have a payload capacity sufficient for a full
size DSLR - the latest Canon EOS 5D is the sort of thing that
professionals might use.

To cut a long story short, these wifi systems have not been engineered
just to save you the trouble of connecting a cable to get your pictures out.

AT

Old April 3rd 19, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lucifer

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 19:06:20 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. Iím looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (donít want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I donít want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
Iíve read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but itís not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I donít understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

ad-hoc
Old April 3rd 19, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Lucifer
writes
wrote:

Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

ad-hoc

Agreed, at least here.

My Olympus TG-4 sets itself up as a WiFi hotspot. If I connect my phone
to it (a one time process using a QR code it displays), I can upload
pictures from the camera to the phone.

Olympus provide a suite of programs ( for Android at least) that allow
not just sharing, but remote control of the camera.

Oh and its a nice little camera with some nice features. Water resistant
(the instructions say to run it under cold water if it gets dirty!) and
a very good macro facility that includes automatic focus stacking.
--
Invalid
Old April 3rd 19, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 14/02/2019 19:06, Tweed wrote:

Most of my photography has migrated to my iPhone, largely because of the
convenience. Pictures automatically appear on my iPad and go to the cloud
(both iCloud and OneDrive) by virtue of apps on my iPad. I'm looking for a
compact camera for my holidays (don't want something DSLR sized) because of
the lack of an optical zoom on the iPhone. However, I don't want to faff
around with plugging SD cards into a reader or using a USB transfer cable.
I've read that some cameras now come with WiFi, but it's not obvious how
they work. Do they transfer directly to the iPad via the local WiFi LAN,
and if so how how do they cope with differing networks, eg the hotel WiFi,
or do they create some sort of ad-hoc network? Basically I don't understand
the detail of how a WiFi enable camera works.

As others have noted, many of these cameras seem to set them up as a
hotspot. I've just acquired a Nikon, and unfortunately it has no way of
editing the parameters of the hotspot, it's stuck on an IP range of ...
192.168.1.*
.... which means inevitably it's going to clash with many people's
routers, etc. So if your PC is cabled to your router, and attempts to
link to your camera by WiFi at the same time, the PC throws a wobbly -
almost certainly it won't log on to your camera, and may also break the
cabled connection for the duration of its attempt, perhaps longer.