Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

Old February 18th 19, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

Default Plusnet disabling all SMTP servers but their own?

This afternoon I received an email from Plusnet which looks genuine and says the following:
quote
Important - you might need to update your email settings

We're changing the way our emails work

Not using our outbound mail server? You'll find this useful.

We're about to upgrade the way our emails work, meaning if you currently
send yours through a non-Plusnet server, we need you to check that your
outgoing server settings are up to date. If you've never altered your
outgoing server settings, you can ignore this. However, if you have,
read on.

Your outbound mail server needs to be set to relay.plus.net to ensure
your emails keep working after we've made our changes. If it's already
set to that, or you just use webmail - great news, you don't need to
worry.
end quote

I just tried to phone the Plusnet helpline which was 15 minutes of my time wasted as the supposedly tech person who answered didn't know anything about this email nor could he answer basic messages about using alternative SMTP servers. I have used the Plusnet server occasionally but it only works (or used to) when accessed via the paid-for phone line, so it's no use if one is using email on a laptop connected elsewhere, so it seems simpler to keep the same SMTP settings all the time. Plusnet now seem determined to make life difficult to their users.

If Plusnet are really going to block all ports for SMTP servers except their own relay.plus.net then I find that absolutely outrageous. I will take it as a major change in their contract conditions and try to cancel my contract and move to a better Internet supplier. But I suppose it could be a hoax or just their usual total incompetence - has anyone else had one of these messages? And if so do you understand it?

Oh, and just like their billing changes which means that most browsers don't get the link to the bill because they don't give it a .pdf extension, this email included a link to their own Guide which didn't work because it wasn't a proper URL.
And when I did track down their Guide it had no reference to a change in their rules for accessing SMTP servers.

--

Clive Page
Old February 18th 19, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Clive Page wrote:

Not using our outbound mail server? You'll find this useful.

We're about to upgrade the way our emails work, meaning if you currently
send yours through a non-Plusnet server, we need you to check that your
outgoing server settings are up to date.

I don't think they're blocking use of 3rd party SMTP servers, just that
they will be adding SPF records to indicate that relay.plus.net is the
only server that should be delivering mail from
addresses.
Old February 18th 19, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

It should be possible to configure a portable computer (phone, tablet,
laptop) to *one* SMTP server which is accessible on any network -
subject to the normal restriction that you have to supply a valid
username and password

allowing encryption and authentication from non-plusnet connections sure
would help
Old February 19th 19, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brighton Rock

On 18/02/2019 23:05, Clive Page wrote:
On 18/02/2019 16:36, Brighton Rock wrote:
There is a thread about this in plusnet.service.customer-feedback and
more information on the Plusnet forum e.g. at
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/...s/td-p/1612778

In short, the change effects only sending emails using Plusnet
addresses; gmail, yahoo and other third parties are not effected.

There is indeed.* And it may be that this is right, but these forum
postings are just by customers who are interpreting what is a very vague
email.

If it is right, then what on earth stopped Plusnet explaining the issue
properly?* The same incompetence that stopped them providing a link that
worked in the email?** Or in forcing a new billing system on customers
that didn't work (and still has some obvious faults)?

I am distinctly unimpressed.

The thread that I linked to on the Forum contains a number of statements
by Plusnet staff clarifying the email.

--

Michael

Old February 19th 19, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:36:31 +0000, Brighton Rock
wrote in
:

In short, the change effects only sending emails using Plusnet
addresses; gmail, yahoo and other third parties are not effected.

Do you mean e-mails that contain a Plus Net address in the "From:" header?

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old February 19th 19, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 14:14:32 +0000, Peter Boulding wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:36:31 +0000, Brighton Rock
wrote in
:

In short, the change effects only sending emails using Plusnet
addresses; gmail, yahoo and other third parties are not effected.

Do you mean e-mails that contain a Plus Net address in the "From:"
header?

Technically, probably those that contain a Plusnet address in the MAIL
FROM: exchange within SMTP. These are usually (but not always) the same!
Old February 19th 19, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Clive Page wrote:
On 18/02/2019 16:36, Brighton Rock wrote:
There is a thread about this in plusnet.service.customer-feedback and
more information on the Plusnet forum e.g. at
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/...s/td-p/1612778

In short, the change effects only sending emails using Plusnet
addresses; gmail, yahoo and other third parties are not effected.

There is indeed. And it may be that this is right, but these forum
postings are just by customers who are interpreting what is a very vague email.

If it is right, then what on earth stopped Plusnet explaining the issue
properly? The same incompetence that stopped them providing a link that
worked in the email? Or in forcing a new billing system on customers
that didn't work (and still has some obvious faults)?

I am distinctly unimpressed.

Stick your hand in your pocket and pay for a decent ISP such as AAISP. Then
you don't have to mess about with support forums, just pick up the phone
and get through to somebody that knows what they are talking about.

Old February 19th 19, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/02/2019 17:16, Tweed wrote:

Stick your hand in your pocket and pay for a decent ISP such as AAISP. Then
you don't have to mess about with support forums, just pick up the phone
and get through to somebody that knows what they are talking about.

This only works if when you put your hand in said pocket there is
something in there to pull out. In my case, fluff and used bus tickets.

Next idea..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old February 20th 19, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/02/2019 17:16, Tweed wrote:

Stick your hand in your pocket and pay for a decent ISP such as AAISP. Then
you don't have to mess about with support forums, just pick up the phone
and get through to somebody that knows what they are talking about.

This only works if when you put your hand in said pocket there is
something in there to pull out. In my case, fluff and used bus tickets.

Next idea..?

But I don't think you are the one who is complaining. There are too many
people who *do* have the means, who pay buttons for something and then
moan.

Old February 20th 19, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 18 February 2019 16:08:07 UTC, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

BT own Plusnet now.

Despite Plusnet customer service being better than BT's and lower cost, sooner or later BT were bound to start making life difficult for Plusnet customers, in the same way as they constantly mess their own customers about.