TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

Old February 21st 19, 07:47 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Default TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

On 21/02/2019 09:36, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL
with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear
from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the
supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom
firmware.

Few if any ISP supplied routers seem to recognise in their GUIs that
one might have more than one external IP address. Usually it would need
command line configuration of the firewall, via telnet or ssh. I gather
though that the Talktalk Business router has different firmware from their
domestic ones. Searching suggests there are uploadable configurations
for the domestic ones to enable ssh access, but it wasn't clear whether
they also worked on the business firmware.

You've probably tried already, but does their business support line
have sufficient clue to help ? Surely someone else must have asked them
how to do this.

Nick

I have a particular reason for not wishing to contact the ISP about this
issue for the time being, but ...

I have to say that I am astonished at the difficulty in getting any kind
of sensible solution for this

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 21st 19, 08:12 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Abandoned Trolley* wrote:

[...]

You're making a rod for your own back!

Get a proper ISP and a sensible router - but then you specifically
discounted that line of advice in your initial post.

Begs the question - why?

--
Graham J
Old February 21st 19, 08:19 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

[...]

I am open to any suggestions about any router which will actually do the
job ..

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 22nd 19, 01:30 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Char Jackson

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

[...]

Actually, you've also been vague about what "the job" is. You apparently
have two servers on which you've configured publicly routable IPs, even
though the two servers run completely different services. With what
you've provided so far, a single routable IP would be fine and you'd
steer traffic based on its destination port. Also, any run of the mill
NAT router would then work.

It seems, though, that there might be more to the story. Hence, the
"vague" part.

Old February 22nd 19, 08:54 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

[...]

"or giving me a lecture about how I don't need the static IP addresses
in the first place then maybe you could give this one a miss" ...

AT
Old February 22nd 19, 09:31 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on
VDSL
with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to
hear
from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the
supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with
custom
firmware.

I am open to any suggestions about any router which will actually do the
job ..

Last time I needed multiple public IPs the routing was done by an old
Pentium with a DSL adaptor, running Debian and Shorewall, so apols but
I can't help on that one ... Unfortunately the HG635 isn't supported
by OpenWRT either (which I am currently getting to grips with to expand
the capabilities of my current router) so no help to be had there.

Nick
Old February 22nd 19, 09:36 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Abandoned Trolley* wrote:

[...]

He does need ONE static IP address, but for what he has described any
basic NAT router will be fine.

So we really do need to know why the OP has made these arbitrary
restrictions. Otherwise we're going to suggest a big Cisco router
running BGP and costing several 1000.

--
Graham J
Old February 22nd 19, 10:09 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, but as you have no idea what I "need" and
clearly have no intention of answering the original question I am not
sure of the value of your input.

AT
Old February 22nd 19, 10:13 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

On 22/02/2019 09:31, Nick Leverton wrote:
Abandoned Trolley wrote:

[...]

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple
WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?) as I have a couple of suitable router
hosts. I have tried on the DD-WRT forum but cannot find any clear
answers there.

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 22nd 19, 10:31 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple
WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?)

yes it does.