TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

Old February 22nd 19, 01:27 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Default TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

On 22/02/2019 10:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Abandoned Trolley wrote:

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple
WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?)

yes it does.

---
https://www.avg.com

Thanks for that.
I had been thinking about it anyway for a wireless bridge, but fixed
that problem using DD-WRT.
I managed to download the OpenWRT binary and load it in to an old
router. Its looking quite promising, although there appears to be a bit
of a learning curve :-\

AT
Old February 22nd 19, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:09:31 +0000, Abandoned Trolley
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but as you have no idea what I "need" and
clearly have no intention of answering the original question I am not
sure of the value of your input.

You could always tell us what you need, and why. Then people might be
able to offer more helpful suggestions.

Rod.
Old February 22nd 19, 02:55 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

I would be interested to know if OpenWRT provides support for multiple
WAN IPs ( preferably via GUI ?)

yes it does.

---
https://www.avg.com

Thanks for that.
I had been thinking about it anyway for a wireless bridge, but fixed
that problem using DD-WRT.
I managed to download the OpenWRT binary and load it in to an old
router. Its looking quite promising, although there appears to be a bit
of a learning curve :-\

Good luck, hope it gets you somewhere. This link looks as though it may
be helpful, although it's confusing that you have to add extra interfaces
to your WAN interface. That's not how iptables/nftables does it under
the bonnet, it has very little concept of interfaces ...
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-h...n-wan/13815/14

Nick
Old February 22nd 19, 07:28 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Johann Beretta[_2_]

On 2/21/19 11:47 AM, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

I have a particular reason for not wishing to contact the ISP about this
issue for the time being, but ...

I have to say that I am astonished at the difficulty in getting any kind
of sensible solution for this

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Mikrotik routers can handle any number of IP addresses being assigned to
any particular port you want. Be warned, there is a bit of a learning
curve, but it's not horrible. RouterOS (the OS for Mikrotik) is well
documented. If you can't quite figure it out, there's plenty of folks
on Upwork.com who sell their expertise for reasonable rates.
Old February 22nd 19, 07:37 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Grant Taylor

On 2/21/19 1:19 PM, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
I am open to any suggestions about any router which will actually do the
job ..

You may find that your ISP won't support other routers, especially when
you're using blocks of globally routed IPs.

I've run into multiple providers here in the US that /require/ you to
use their specific router for blocks of globally routed IPs (which are
only available on business class subscriptions).

People have talked about replacing the routers with something else and
maybe getting it to work. But this is an unsupported configuration and
they accepted the risk of doing so.

I've heard / read accounts of cable internet providers in the US doing
this and requiring their router, which did standard things, but they
didn't tell people. Supposedly their router used RIP on the CMTS side
to advertise the local globally routed block to the upstream CMTS
routers (which didn't advertise anything). Thus the upstream routers
could find the downstream router that had the block of globally routed
IPs, despite the fact that said router was itself using DHCP from the
provider.

In some ways this seems like a nasty hack. But in other ways it seems
like an elegant solution.

You may end up being tied to the "super" router provided by the ISP. Or
an unsupported solution.

Good luck.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Old February 22nd 19, 07:51 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Johann Beretta[_2_]

On 2/22/19 1:36 AM, Graham J wrote:

He does need ONE static IP address, but for what he has described any
basic NAT router will be fine.

So we really do need to know why the OP has made these arbitrary
restrictions.* Otherwise we're going to suggest a big Cisco router
running BGP and costing several 1000.

MikroTik has any number of routers that are far more affordable and just
as powerful as anything Cisco offers in the same class.

Just as an example, they offer a 72 core rackmount that will push 80
Gbps for around $3K.

Of course there are ones that are much less than that, but they all
share the same OS.. So a $50 MT has the same capabilities as a $3K one,
as far as functionality, if not raw CPU power.