TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

Old February 19th 19, 04:19 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

Default TalkTalk HG635 on VDSL with multiple static IP addresses

hi there

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL
with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear
from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the
supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom
firmware.

Alternatively, if you fancy having a rant about TalkTalk, Huawei or
Openreach, or giving me a lecture about how I don't need the static IP
addresses in the first place then maybe you could give this one a miss.

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 20th 19, 02:07 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Grant Taylor

On 2/19/19 8:19 AM, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
hi there

Hi,

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL
with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear
from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the
supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom
firmware.

Does TalkTalk give out an 8 block (/27) with 6 usable IPs, one of which
will be for the router? Or do they do something else?

What do you mean by "separate them"? What are you wanting to do?

Alternatively, if you fancy having a rant about TalkTalk, Huawei or
Openreach, or giving me a lecture about how I don't need the static IP
addresses in the first place then maybe you could give this one a miss.

Last time I checked, you are a paying customer and can request what ever
you want, for what ever reason you want it. Who would try to tell you
otherwise or say that you don't need a static IP? It doesn't matter if
you need it or not. If you want it and are willing to pay for it,
that's sufficient.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Old February 20th 19, 12:00 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Abandoned Trolley

On 20/02/2019 01:07, Grant Taylor wrote:
[...]

I have separate unix boxes for mail server and web server so I would
like different port forwarding rules within the router. I think its
either a question of router functionality or .. maybe they have sent me
the wrong router. I was hoping that an existing TalkTalk business
customer might have trodden this path before.

FWIW I believe its a block of 4 addresses, 2 of which are usable - I am
only paying for 2

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 20th 19, 01:49 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Grant Taylor wrote:

Does TalkTalk give out an 8 block (/27) with 6 usable IPs

That would be /29.

-- Richard
Old February 21st 19, 05:45 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Grant Taylor

On 2/20/19 5:49 AM, Richard Tobin wrote:
That would be /29.

*FACEPALM*

I spend too much time working with /27s at work that this was habitual.

Thank you for the correction Richard.

Now where did I put the towel to wipe the egg off.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Old February 21st 19, 08:34 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Johann Beretta[_2_]

On 2/19/19 5:07 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
It doesn't matter if
you need it or not.* If you want it and are willing to pay for it,
that's sufficient.

I think you'll find, that as IPV4 space continues to dwindle, many
companies are requiring justification for this diminishing resource.

Took me nearly a month to get another Class C block and I own an ISP...
_and_ I'm paying for the block. Simply wanting to pay for addresses is
not enough reason when plenty of other people will pay for it as well
and can demonstrate a need.

Old February 21st 19, 08:37 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Johann Beretta[_2_]

On 2/19/19 5:07 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

Does TalkTalk give out an 8 block (/27) with 6 usable IPs, one of which
will be for the router?* Or do they do something else?

A /27 is 255.255.255.224

That's 32 hosts, not 8.
Old February 21st 19, 10:36 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

If there's anybody out there using the TalkTalk business service on VDSL
with MORE THAN ONE static IP address, then I would be interested to hear
from you if you have managed to separate them in any way using the
supplied "super" router - which appears to be a Huawei HG635 with custom
firmware.

Few if any ISP supplied routers seem to recognise in their GUIs that
one might have more than one external IP address. Usually it would need
command line configuration of the firewall, via telnet or ssh. I gather
though that the Talktalk Business router has different firmware from their
domestic ones. Searching suggests there are uploadable configurations
for the domestic ones to enable ssh access, but it wasn't clear whether
they also worked on the business firmware.

You've probably tried already, but does their business support line
have sufficient clue to help ? Surely someone else must have asked them
how to do this.

Nick
Old February 21st 19, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

In article ,
(Johann Beretta) wrote:

IPV4 space continues to dwindle,

You mean continues to fill. IP4 is a finite, constant space.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981