Yahoo Group invitation

Old February 22nd 19, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Yahoo Group invitation

I have been invited to join a Yahoo Group, which would be convenient,
but when I looked at the T&Cs, I found them horrifying. One paragraph
seems to sum up their whole ethos:

" When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the
data processing, sharing, transferring and usage of your information as
outlined in this Privacy Policy. Regardless of the country where you
reside, you authorise us to transfer, process, store and use your
information in countries other than your own in accordance with this
Privacy Policy and to provide you with Services. Some of these
countries may not have the same data protection safeguards as the
country where you reside."

So why would I even think about joining them, if they openly admit that
my data might go elsewhere, and they have no control over it when it's
there, wherever there is?

Thanks, but No, thanks. Even if if does, as suggested, provide for
better targeting of advertising.

--
Davey.
Old February 22nd 19, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 22 February 2019 12:04:35 UTC, Davey wrote:
[...]

I used to access news groups through Yahoo!. Yahoo constantly Spammed me with unwanted invitations and much else.
Old February 22nd 19, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 22/02/2019 12:04, Davey wrote:
[...]

Any advertising targeted at me ends up with my ad-blocker. Not seen an
ad in years.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old February 23rd 19, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 14:13:45 +0000
MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

Same here. But it was the things that Yahoo Groups say they can do that
was the subject of my post, advertising being merely a small part of
that.
--
Davey.
Old February 23rd 19, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default FTTX upgrade? - poor daffodils

Against all the odds Hell seems to have possibly frozen over!

My tiny village is apparently getting a full fibre upgrade! (there are
all of a dozen houses in it). This is more than a bit surprising to me.

The first I knew of it was traffic lights blocking my drive and a man in
dayglo banging on the front door asking me to move my daffodils as I was
about to leave for work in Newcastle (fat chance of that). The guys were
good though and did move them out of the way before trenching but as
they so rightly put it they are not gardeners. My early daffodils were
just into glorious flower and are a local landmark for spring

The foreman seemed to think they were installing a fibre run made out of
4" grey PVC drainpipe for want of a better description under the verge
in front of my house. The weird thing is that this fibre pipe covers an
isolated section about 300m long but more than 1km away from the main
fibre runs from the exchange so it makes no sense at all to me.

It goes to a small manhole dug into my front lawn last year when the
half of the village past me lost all phone and internet due to ingress
of water. To make their life interesting they also found a water main
and stop cock that was not on any of their plans in the way.

I don't see how they can possibly get fibre to this point since there is
a huge chunk of bare cable in hedgerow that has not been dealt with. I
had always assumed that they would do the shortest run they could get
away with which would be to the junction and about optimal for the more
or less symmetrical distribution of houses either side. I can't imagine
why they have put a fibre run right the to bottom of my drive (unless
they are hoping to offer FTTP to some of their more vocal critics).

If it really happens I will be 100m to the putative FTTP cabinet which
obviously will be a very big improvement over 3100m.

It could be that the trench diggers are mistaken (they just have a map
and a blue line on it) and the new pipe is for a segment of new copper
which they are no longer permitted to just bury in a narrow slit trench
as a solitary wire. We will have to wait for the next instalment when
the guys who mend drives and install the cables come to do their bit.

Anyone else in a highly rural setting seeing inexplicable actions by BT?

Right now the only thing that is certain is that my front garden next to
the road looks like the Somme after a particularly bad day

Perhaps we are getting FTTRN- I will post updates as and when available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 23rd 19, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 23/02/2019 09:58, Martin Brown wrote:

Anyone else in a highly rural setting seeing inexplicable actions by BT?

Well, yes & no ...

Our area has seen one entirely explicable improvement. Around 6 months
ago, I noticed a news report that the Scottish Government was making
available more funds for rural broadband, so I wrote to the quango in
charge of the project, Highland & Island Enterprise (HIE), reminding
them of Shinness' request to be included in the rollout of FTTC at
Lairg, which was turned out at the time through shortage of funds, and
would they please give us FTTC this time? The result has been that OR
have installed the nearest to Lairg of the minimum of three cabinets
that we need, but I don't think that it's actually been hooked up yet.

However, inexplicably, they've put it in the worst possible location.
Imagine yourself driving up the stem of a T-junction, and you're shortly
going to have to turn left or right, but it's icy, so instead against
your will you carry straight on through the fence and park in the field,
as many others have done before you, not yet including myself but
apparently including even a gritting lorry that ended up on its side
there a few years ago. It's happened at least twice, I think three
times, since I've been here. On one of these occasions I found an
elderly gentleman sitting in the passenger seat of the car in the field
surrounded by snow, waiting for help, which, naturally I offered to
fetch for him, but he said he was waiting for his wife to return,
because she'd walked off to get help already.

But no longer, there is now a crash barrier, the shiny new green
cabinet! EVERYONE who speaks of it begins by saying what a stupid place
to put it!

So I'm not expecting our joy to last very long, and am currently
exploring an alternative wireless system for the community!
Old February 23rd 19, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]

I've seen something similar in the rural wilds of the fens, north of
Spalding; an area where there is perhaps one big farm every 5 miles and
no more than 10 houses in between.

There are coils of "cable" hanging on the phone poles, and overhead runs
between some poles. The "cable" is black, with a yellow stripe, and
about 8mm diameter. The reference number on it suggests it contains 32
fibres.

These were installed about 2 years ago as part of a FTTP rollout which
was never completed.

My guess is that the installation cost was minimal, and it was done to
tick a box.

There is ADSL in the area, sometimes offering as much as 2 Mbits/sec;
but the demand for FTTP will be minimal at perhaps one farm per fibre
cable (where the cost might be justified), and perhaps one other
customer - somebody prepared to pay the extra cost for the technical
benefit. Other households cannot get ADSL at all because their distance
from the exchange is about 10km.

Openreach/BT will no doubt say that - having invested in the
infrastructure - there is no demand for the service, so it is no longer
offered.

As I say, probably a box-ticking exercise.

--
Graham J
Old February 23rd 19, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ermin

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 09:58:16 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Anyone else in a highly rural setting seeing inexplicable actions by BT?

Sort of (north Yorks). Lots of vans around and the verges of the main A
road has had pipes laid in the verges ('for fibre' according to the
contractors in a no-name van).

BT have been around us to 'survey options' and claim to have all
underground work done. But all this was back end of last year and nowt
else has happened.
Old February 23rd 19, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill[_2_]

On 23/02/2019 09:58, Martin Brown wrote:
snip

Anyone else in a highly rural setting seeing inexplicable actions by BT?

It could be Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK), a government/EU funded
programme to bring fast broadband to rural areas. Down here is the West
Country we have had our village cabled up for FTTP. Unfortunately they
seem to be having difficulty getting the village connect to the outside
world. I'm sure It'll happen eventually

--
Mark

Old February 23rd 19, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

I've seen something similar in the rural wilds of the fens, north of
Spalding; an area where there is perhaps one big farm every 5 miles and
no more than 10 houses in between.

If it's an area near Gosberton I think it stalled due to issues gaining
access over the railway line. I've noticed similar pole-based fibre in
use around Deeping st Nicholas/Hop Pole