FFTX upgrade? - poor daffodils

Old February 23rd 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default FFTX upgrade? - poor daffodils

Against all the odds Hell seems to have possibly frozen over!

My tiny village is apparently getting a full fibre upgrade! (there are
all of a dozen houses in it). This is more than a bit surprising to me.

The first I knew of it was traffic lights blocking my drive and a man in
dayglo banging on the front door asking me to move my daffodils as I was
about to leave for work in Newcastle (fat chance of that). The guys were
good though and did move them out of the way before trenching but as
they so rightly put it they are not gardeners. My early daffodils were
just into glorious flower and are a local landmark for spring

The foreman seemed to think they were installing a fibre run made out of
4" grey PVC drainpipe for want of a better description under the verge
in front of my house. The weird thing is that this fibre pipe covers an
isolated section about 300m long but more than 1km away from the main
fibre runs from the exchange so it makes no sense at all to me.

It goes to a small manhole dug into my front lawn last year when the
half of the village past me lost all phone and internet due to ingress
of water. To make their life interesting they also found a water main
and stop cock that was not on any of their plans in the way.

I don't see how they can possibly get fibre to this point since there is
a huge chunk of bare cable in hedgerow that has not been dealt with. I
had always assumed that they would do the shortest run they could get
away with which would be to the junction and about optimal for the more
or less symmetrical distribution of houses either side. I can't imagine
why they have put a fibre run right the to bottom of my drive (unless
they are hoping to offer FTTP to some of their more vocal critics).

If it really happens I will be 100m to the putative FTTP cabinet which
obviously will be a very big improvement over 3100m.

It could be that the trench diggers are mistaken (they just have a map
and a blue line on it) and the new pipe is for a segment of new copper
which they are no longer permitted to just bury in a narrow slit trench
as a solitary wire. We will have to wait for the next instalment when
the guys who mend drives and install the cables come to do their bit.

Anyone else in a highly rural setting seeing inexplicable actions by BT?

Right now the only thing that is certain is that my front garden next to
the road looks like the Somme after a particularly bad day

Perhaps we are getting FTTRN- I will post updates as and when available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

PS Apologies if this appears twice. First attempt to post it vanished.
Old February 23rd 19, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apd

"Martin Brown" wrote:
PS Apologies if this appears twice. First attempt to post it vanished.

Probably because you posted it as a reply in the "Yahoo Group
invitation" thread. I've no idea why you would do that. Anyway,
that's where others have responded.

Old February 23rd 19, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

earlier this week they dug a hole outside our path at the foot of the
telegraph pole, followed in the next few days by five more holes they
smashed the duct and seemed to successfully installed a draw-string.
whether it was fibre or copper they pulled I have no idea. Manchester
suburb.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VbfU3TnKcNR36emQA

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 23rd 19, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 23/02/2019 18:28, Apd wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote:
PS Apologies if this appears twice. First attempt to post it vanished.

Probably because you posted it as a reply in the "Yahoo Group
invitation" thread. I've no idea why you would do that. Anyway,
that's where others have responded.

Finger trouble on my part most likely.

--
Regards,