What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less than router's sync speed?

Old March 1st 19, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less than router's sync speed?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Speedtest results which were around 1500, dropping to 600 after a broken
line fault and its repair, suggests an incomplete repair.

To me it suggests the IP profile has not (yet) been set based on the
repaired sync rate, PN support should be able to give it a nudge, what
does the "further diagnostics" page from

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

report? (warning it may look like it's doing nothing, just leave it until
you get a result)

Main page results a

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.40

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.07

Ping Latency (ms): 22412

Further diagnostics

0.4 Mbps down; IP profile 1.35 Mbps

0.07 Mbps up; profile 0.45 Mbps

Interesting that upstream speed is so bad.

And downstream profile is higher than I was expecting, suggesting that maybe
it's not the reason for the poor downstream result.

Old March 1st 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

Ping Latency (ms): 22412

if true, that's horrible. but I suspect it's just a meaningless garbage
number from BT

IP profile 1.35 Mbps

which corresponds with 88% of your sync speed.

And downstream profile is higher than I was expecting

indeed, got a different router you could try?

suggesting that
maybe it's not the reason for the poor downstream result.

not got something else sucking bandwidth, e.g a windows update?
Old March 1st 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:

[snip]

How long ago was the line fault repaired?

Yesterday about 3 PM.

I am aware that it often takes time for the *sync speed* to return to normal, as the modem at the exchange and the one in the router need

time to negotiate the best speed that the line will support.

You've reported the sync speed has already returned to normal.

However the BRAS Profile (or IP Profile) probably has not, and it is
this which may also take several days to return to normal, although your
ISP might be able to kick it.

[snip]
No, the ISP is Plusnet. I referred to BT because they are the people to
report a voice fault to, since the voice service is with BT. The
broadband changes are incidental. I have reported them to Plusnet for
them to check what their tests find, in case they wanted to open a fault
of their own with BT OR. However their tests didn't find any faults, so
they are sending me a new, slightly more modern router, which they think
will help - maybe some routers' modems work better than others with
borderline lines.

It's cheaper for an ISP to send a new router and hope you will go away -
significantly cheaper than calling out Openreach. In due course if
Openreach do not find a fault or find something wrong with your
equipment then they will bill the ISP. Plusnet might pass on this
charge to you.

[snip]

Speedtest results which were around 1500, dropping to 600 after a broken
line fault and its repair, suggests an incomplete repair.

No, it suggests that the BRAS profile has not yet recovered, although
the high error count may indicate another problem.

--
Graham J
Old March 1st 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 01/03/2019 14:47, Graham J wrote:

No, it suggests that the BRAS profile has not yet recovered, although
the high error count may indicate another problem.

No problem with my bra..

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 1st 19, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 28/02/2019 14:05, NY wrote:
Our router used to report a sync speed of around 1.5-2 Mbps down and 0.4
up. Speedtest achieved speeds of somewhere between 0.8 and 1.8 Mbps,
depending on time of day (contention?).

Then our line experienced a total loss of phone (no dialling tone etc)
which has now been fixed and was due to an underground cable fault,
according to the BT OR engineer who phoned to say "fault has been fixed".

During the phone outage, broadband continued with sync of 0.6 D and 0.4
U, with fairly similar Speedtest results.

Now that the line has been fixed, the router syncs at 1.5 D / 0.4 U once
more, but Speedtest is only getting 0.6 D / 0.4 U.

Quite possibly you need to wait for a few days for the line management
to adjust. You might get the profile changed by ringing the ISP. I have
had this problem more than once with Plusnet.

--
Michael Chare
Old March 2nd 19, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 11:47:01 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message
NY wrote:

[snip]

Did you make a note of the SNR margin, loop attenuation, and error
counts before the fault?

Unfortunately no, but from memory, the values are very similar to what I
remember: attenuation about 31 U and 59-62 D, SNR around 6 dB in both
directions.

What we have now is the router syncing at a speed (1500-2000 kb/sec)
which is *always* greatly in excess of the results that Speedtest gives.

How long ago was the line fault repaired?

Yesterday about 3 PM.

I am aware that it often takes time for the *sync speed* to return to
normal, as the modem at the exchange and the one in the router need time to
negotiate the best speed that the line will support.

In this case, the sync speed is significantly higher than the Speedtest
speed (1500 versus 600 kbps), which is different to the normal case of sync
speed being slower than it used to be.

I wish I'd been keeping a note of router stats before the fault - but then
everything was working OK, so there was no need to - except for interest and
as a defence against future problems.

It may well be that there are problems with the line which were exacerbated
when the gross error of the discontinuity which caused the loss of dialling
tone / voice circuit were rectified.

Anyway, I've reopened the fault with BT: line noise and dramatically
slower internet. They are coming on Monday to investigate, and this time
to make a house visit as opposed to working elsewhere. I didn't see a BT
van in the village (though I may have missed it) so I presume I'm still
on the original line pair, and they just tidied up connections to that at
a cabinet or the exchange.

From which I presume your ISP is BT. It's unlikely that their helpdesk
will understand the concept of the BRAS Profile. But you can learn about
it he

No, the ISP is Plusnet. I referred to BT because they are the people to
report a voice fault to, since the voice service is with BT. The broadband
changes are incidental. I have reported them to Plusnet for them to check
what their tests find, in case they wanted to open a fault of their own with
BT OR. However their tests didn't find any faults, so they are sending me a
new, slightly more modern router, which they think will help - maybe some
routers' modems work better than others with borderline lines. I was hoping
they'd say "yes, this line isn't as good as it was" from any stats that they
may keep, and get BT OR to investigate.

So all I can do when the engineer comes on Monday is to talk about
intermittent line noise which only seems to affect incoming calls from my
wife's mobile (and don't affect calls she makes to other mobiles) and which
are usually only heard at her end and not mine, though yesterday even I
could hear a loud rustling when she phoned.

And when I talk to the engineer mention that ADSL is affected as well and
that whatever is causing the voice noise is also, as you'd expect, affecting
ADSL.

Speedtest results which were around 1500, dropping to 600 after a broken
line fault and its repair, suggests an incomplete repair.

A few years back when I lived in a country village with 1mpbs speeds:

1) My ISP, Zen in those days, did say that my Netgear should be better
than some other routers that neighbours might be using when having to
contend with long distances to the exchange

2) The single factor, which they suggested and made a difference, was
a top quality filter. A quality filter will show its credentials on a
poor line whereas any filter is likely to be ok on a good line.

--
AnthonyL
Old March 4th 19, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Ping Latency (ms): 22412

if true, that's horrible. but I suspect it's just a meaningless garbage
number from BT

IP profile 1.35 Mbps

which corresponds with 88% of your sync speed.

And downstream profile is higher than I was expecting

indeed, got a different router you could try?

suggesting that maybe it's not the reason for the poor downstream result.

not got something else sucking bandwidth, e.g a windows update?

Update on our situation.

Last night was very windy, and after the wind had died down, I found that
the sync speed and Speedtest speeds had increased: sync to around 2000-2500,
and Speedtest to about 1.2 Mbps. So getting back towards what we'd had
before the total loss of voice service.

But I'd already arranged a second engineer visit on the grounds of remote
noise in incoming calls and decreased ADSL speed after the voice fault was
fixed.

Today the BT OR engineer found that there was some contact between our pair
and another line's pair, and he and another engineer have spent all day
trying to trace the route that the cables take back to the exchange, because
it doesn't match their diagrams. He had a tone generator in our master
socket to inject a trace signal.

He's coming back again tomorrow to continue tracing where the fault lies, so
it can be fixed. It may be that after that, our broadband speed increases
even to even more than we had originally, if this fault has existed for some
time.

Old March 4th 19, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"NY" wrote in message
Last night was very windy, and after the wind had died down, I found that
the sync speed and Speedtest speeds had increased: sync to around
2000-2500, and Speedtest to about 1.2 Mbps. So getting back towards what
we'd had before the total loss of voice service.

Incidentally, despite the increase in significant increase in sync speed as
a result of "something" working in our favour, the power, attenuation and
noise margin figures have hardly changed at all (no more than 0.1-0.2 dB).
But after running for a while, the FEC figures are a lot better, so
evidently it was retransmissions that caused the lower speed before.

I will be very disappointed if, after all the work by the engineers in
tracing and correcting the contact between our pair and another pair, the
throughput speed doesn't improve to be better that it was originally ;-)

Old March 4th 19, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

Today the BT OR engineer found that there was some contact between our
pair and another line's pair

surprised you didn't hear that as crossed-line voices, or hearing ring
signal in the background of calls etc.
Old March 5th 19, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Today the BT OR engineer found that there was some contact between our
pair and another line's pair

surprised you didn't hear that as crossed-line voices, or hearing ring
signal in the background of calls etc.

The engineer has now found and fixed the problem. It was water in an
underground manhole causing contact through the water (not metal to metal
contact) between our line and several others.

No difference in ADSL speed after the fault was fixed, and no difference in
sync speed, attenuation or noise margin.