What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less than router's sync speed?

Old March 5th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default What factors affect "speedtest" speed, when it is less thanrouter's sync speed?

On 05/03/2019 11:07, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Today the BT OR engineer found that there was some contact between
our pair and another line's pair

surprised you didn't hear that as crossed-line voices, or hearing ring
signal in the background of calls etc.

The engineer has now found and fixed the problem. It was water in an
underground manhole causing contact through the water (not metal to
metal contact) between our line and several others.

It may take a couple of days before any improvements made get reflected
in the sync speed. Monitor your line statistics to see if it does.

No difference in ADSL speed after the fault was fixed, and no difference
in sync speed, attenuation or noise margin.

I'd have expected it to impact on noise margin if there was crosstalk to
other active lines. It certainly did on mine when I had my line
accidentally crossed with the local farm shop in the run up to Xmas. My
ADSL recovered but theirs never did and they gave up in favour of the
peer to peer microwave network that most farmers round here now use.

It is broadly price comparable with landline but with faster uploads:
https://www.quickline.co.uk/home-con...-a2446251-9172

(if that doesn't work try and click on Packages & Prices)

https://www.quickline.co.uk/home-connect-internet-only/

They have changed name recently - used to be Clannet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 5th 19, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
No difference in ADSL speed after the fault was fixed, and no difference
in sync speed, attenuation or noise margin.

I'd have expected it to impact on noise margin if there was crosstalk to
other active lines.

Yes, I was surprised that there was no change to noise margin: still 16 U
and 6.3 D. Sync speed is actually a little higher at 2800 rather than 2400,
so maybe the ISP's line profile will increase in due course.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ reports download speed of 1.2, as for
Ookla Speedest, but "Further testing" won't run (it has in the past with the
previous router) so I can't see what profile is set. "The Performance Tester
is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection.
Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue
with your service provider."

Old March 5th 19, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 05/03/2019 12:28, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
No difference in ADSL speed after the fault was fixed, and no
difference in sync speed, attenuation or noise margin.

I'd have expected it to impact on noise margin if there was crosstalk
to other active lines.

Yes, I was surprised that there was no change to noise margin: still 16
U and 6.3 D. Sync speed is actually a little higher at 2800 rather than
2400, so maybe the ISP's line profile will increase in due course.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ reports download speed of 1.2, as
for Ookla Speedest, but "Further testing" won't run (it has in the past
with the previous router) so I can't see what profile is set. "The
Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your
broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem
persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

FWIW additional diagnostics doesn't work for me either.
I suspect it doesn't work for anyone any more - BT have FUBARed it.

My figures on an ADSL2+ link at up 1003k down 4656k a

Up 0.77Mbps Down 4.00Mbps Ping latency 707ms!

Not surprisingly things can be slow if there are any resends.

There was a time when I had non-interlaced ping 20ms. The wires
connecting me to the exchange get more fragile every year.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 5th 19, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Martin Brown wrote:

FWIW additional diagnostics doesn't work for me either.
I suspect it doesn't work for anyone any more - BT have FUBARed it.

It's not well, plusnet admit it can give impossible results, it ran for
me a few days ago, but sat there looking like it was doing nothing for a
few minutes before coughing-up the "advanced" page, but today all I got was