Plusnet router - carry-over of configured settings from previous PN router

Old March 6th 19, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Plusnet router - carry-over of configured settings from previousPN router

NY wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
NY wrote:

[snip]

I'm trying to remember now why I used reserved DHCP for the computers
on the LAN but static addresses for the printer and webcams (using
addresses outside the DHCP scope). I wonder why I didn't use the same
mechanism for all the devices that needed fixed addresses... One of
life's mysteries.

It may depend on the capabilities of the DHCP server in the router.

The "scope" is usually the range within which IP addresses are issued
when there is no other rule applied.

However, those routers which allow binding of IP address to MAC
address can usually bind any address, either within or outside of the
"scope".

I've not seen a domestic router that allows for "reservation".* I've
only seen this within a server such as Microsoft SBS2011, where the
DHCP service can "reserve" IP addresses so that they are never issued
by the DHCP service.* There are circumstances where for reliability
one might have two DHCP servers; in this case one DHCP server might
reserve a block of addresses knowing that they are allocated by the
other; and vice versa.

I think they might be some confusion (my fault!) with the use of the
word "reservation". I'm sure one router (maybe my old TP Link) uses the
term to describe an IP address which is permanently bound to a MAC
address, so the same PC always gets the same address from DHCP. I was
using the word in that sense, but maybe wrongly :-(

Evidently "reservation" really means addresses within the range of the
scope which are excluded from being handed out by DHCP, presumably
because those computers are set locally to a static address. In that
situation I tend to use static addresses which are within the subnet but
which are outside the scope, to avoid clashes. Plusnet's routers seem to
set the scope to 192.168.1.65-253, leaving 1-63 within the subnet but
outside the scope, and therefore suitable for static addresses.

Terminology probably varies from one manufacturer to another.

A test you could do:

1. Disconnect the new router

2. Reconnect the old router, connect it to the ADSL service, and check
that everything has the IP address you expect - including the static
addresses you set in specific machines. Leave this working, meanwhile:

3. Power up and factory reset the new router. Connect it to a different
PC, but not to any ADSL service. Verify that the router has no
reservations, bindings or whatever, and only knows about the IP address
of the PC you are using to test with. When satisfied, disconnect the
test PC, and factory reset the new router again.

4. Disconnect the old router.

5. Following the procedure you used when originally connecting the new
router repeat that procedure but DO NOT connect the router to the ADSL
service. Check what the router tells you about the IP addresses for all
the connected clients. If it shows the same IP addresses and curious
description of Static or DHCP that you reported earlier, then it is the
router itself that has worked out what is on the network.

When you've completed this test connect the router to the ADSL service.

Bewa when testing a Technicolor TG588v2 router not connected to
either ADSL or VDSL I could not achieve a reliable connection from the
test PC to the router. Once connected to a good broadband service, the
router communicated sensibly with the test PC. Not very useful if you
have an intermittent broadband service and are trying to debug it!

--
Graham J