Power for a VDSL modem/router.

Old March 18th 19, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Power for a VDSL modem/router.

Graham J wrote:
PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:37:51 +0000, Graham J wrote:

PeterC wrote:
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a
modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g.
240V or,
for a wall wart, 12V 25W.
My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't
remember what
it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW.

Measure it?

The VDSL one? I should have been clearer: I can get FTTC for about 3 pcm
more than my present copper-all-the way, so I don't yet have the VDSL
one.

Rather like TVs, finding out the /running/ power of some is very
difficult -
some manufacturers' own sites don't have it. My current Panny has no
info.
in the handbook but IIRC is about 80W; it has a very good picture at
34W -
not the eye-burning 'shop mode'.

OK understood.* I have a TG588v(from Zen) that I intend to put into
service on Monday to test an unreliable FTTC line.* It runs on 12vdc so
I will measure the current it takes from a 12v battery and let you know.

Watch this space ....

OK. TG588v v2

Connect 12vdc from wall-wart PSU; measure 0.13A

Connect one Ethernet cable to PC; measure 0.24A and 0.27A fluctuating

Connect VDSL cable and wait for good PPP session, measure 0.30A

Hope this helps.

--
Graham J
Old March 19th 19, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:42:23 +0000, Graham J wrote:

PeterC wrote:
[...]

Yes, thank you. 3.6W with those connections is pretty good, as is 1.56W
basic.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 19th 19, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

PeterC wrote:
[...]

Just to but in with my own “did you know that?” factoid - as a very first
approximation, the power consumption of a device in Watts is its annual
running cost in pounds, if left running 24/7. I find it a very useful
calculation to decide if it is worth worrying about a device being left on.
I think last time I did the proper calculation against my actual
electricity tariff it underestimated the cost by 20%.

Old March 19th 19, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:55:51 +0000 (UTC), Tweed wrote:

Connect 12vdc from wall-wart PSU; measure 0.13A

Connect one Ethernet cable to PC; measure 0.24A and 0.27A fluctuating

Connect VDSL cable and wait for good PPP session, measure 0.30A

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you. 3.6W with those connections is pretty good, as is 1.56W
basic.

Just to but in with my own did you know that? factoid - as a very first
approximation, the power consumption of a device in Watts is its annual
running cost in pounds, if left running 24/7. I find it a very useful
calculation to decide if it is worth worrying about a device being left on.
I think last time I did the proper calculation against my actual
electricity tariff it underestimated the cost by 20%.

That depends on the price/unit, shirley. At 15p/unit, 1W is ~8.75 kWh pa so
about 1.30.
As a (very) rough guide, but not too bad given the often approximation for
power, 1W will be 9 kWh pa (8,720 or 8,744 h pa).
A 'low energy' (bloody stupid term) lamp, left on 24/7 because it's 'low'
will often 'use' more energy than a low-wattage incandescent lamp switched a
dust and dawn.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 19th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

PeterC wrote:
[...]

I did say it was a first approximation - it's a handy guide to working out
what is worth doing. I have an outside light that is a 3W led. Over the
years I've tried various bulbs with inbuilt dusk to dawn sensors, all
costing 10 each, and they didn't last that long, even the CFL one. So
when LED bulbs came along I decided a 3W lamp left on 24/7 was only going
to cost me around 3/year - so not worth the cost and unreliability of a
dusk dawn fitted unit. And you'd know not to leave a 2kW fan heater on 24/7
unless you are totally uncaring about cost!

Old March 19th 19, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

as a very first approximation, the power consumption of a device
in Watts is its annual running cost in pounds, if left running
24/7.

Currently true for my energy supplier, wanted to leave my hifi turned on 24/7
to play Alexa on demand (much better speakers), can not have her turn it on
since it powers up in standby, 22W idle worked out at 20 a year.

Angus

Old March 19th 19, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

A 'low energy' (bloody stupid term) lamp, left on 24/7 because it's 'low'
will often 'use' more energy than a low-wattage incandescent lamp switched a
dust and dawn.

You must have very short nights.

An LED lamp typically uses around an eighth of the energy of an
incandescent lamp for the same light output.

-- Richard
Old March 20th 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:55:28 +0000 (UTC), Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

A 'low energy' (bloody stupid term) lamp, left on 24/7 because it's 'low'
will often 'use' more energy than a low-wattage incandescent lamp switched a
dust and dawn.

You must have very short nights.

An LED lamp typically uses around an eighth of the energy of an
incandescent lamp for the same light output.

-- Richard

By 'low energy' I ment CFL - it's only recently that the term has been used
for Leds. Damned nuisance as, prior to this, it was a quick and dirty filter
to eliminate CFLs from a search.
A 9W CFL v. 25W filament...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 20th 19, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 14:36 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Angus Robertson -
Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

as a very first approximation, the power consumption of a device
in Watts is its annual running cost in pounds, if left running
24/7.

Currently true for my energy supplier, wanted to leave my hifi turned on 24/7
to play Alexa on demand (much better speakers), can not have her turn it on
since it powers up in standby, 22W idle worked out at 20 a year.

Angus

Around the year 2000 my then gf got a hifi stack. Standby with clock ~11W,
without ~0.5W. A lot of AA cells-worth!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 20th 19, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
In article ,
PeterC wrote:

A 'low energy' (bloody stupid term) lamp, left on 24/7 because it's 'low'
will often 'use' more energy than a low-wattage incandescent lamp switched
dust and dawn.

You must have very short nights.

An LED lamp typically uses around an eighth of the energy of an
incandescent lamp for the same light output.

Part of the problem with LED bulbs is that they may be remote controlled (eg
Philips Hue) and so there is permanent power to the bulb's contacts, with a
quiescent current to drive the electronics that listens for "switch on"
signals from a phone app, Alexa or a remote RF-driven light switch. I wonder
what that quiescent power consumption is in that situation.