Power for a VDSL modem/router.

Old March 15th 19, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Default Power for a VDSL modem/router.

I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a
modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or,
for a wall wart, 12V 25W.
My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what
it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 15th 19, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

PeterC wrote:
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a
modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or,
for a wall wart, 12V 25W.
My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what
it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW.

Measure it?

--
Graham J
Old March 16th 19, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:37:51 +0000, Graham J wrote:

PeterC wrote:
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a
modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or,
for a wall wart, 12V 25W.
My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what
it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW.

Measure it?

The VDSL one? I should have been clearer: I can get FTTC for about 3 pcm
more than my present copper-all-the way, so I don't yet have the VDSL one.

Rather like TVs, finding out the /running/ power of some is very difficult -
some manufacturers' own sites don't have it. My current Panny has no info.
in the handbook but IIRC is about 80W; it has a very good picture at 34W -
not the eye-burning 'shop mode'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 16th 19, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

PeterC wrote:
I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power of a
modem/router for fibre. All the sites show idiotic figures, e.g. 240V or,
for a wall wart, 12V 25W.
My current ADSL one is about 2W when the PC is off - I can't remember what
it is withe PC, TV & PVR on. Wireless is off, BTW.

Measure it?

The VDSL one? I should have been clearer: I can get FTTC for about 3 pcm
more than my present copper-all-the way, so I don't yet have the VDSL one.

Rather like TVs, finding out the /running/ power of some is very difficult -
some manufacturers' own sites don't have it. My current Panny has no info.
in the handbook but IIRC is about 80W; it has a very good picture at 34W -
not the eye-burning 'shop mode'.

OK understood. I have a TG588v(from Zen) that I intend to put into
service on Monday to test an unreliable FTTC line. It runs on 12vdc so
I will measure the current it takes from a 12v battery and let you know.

Watch this space ....

--
Graham J
Old March 17th 19, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

PeterC wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 17th 19, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:39 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Angus Robertson -
Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

I've been trying to find out the runnining and standby(?) power
of a modem/router for fibre.

My Draytek Vigor 2860 with VDSL with dual band wifi takes about 72mA or 9.4W,
rising to 10W every few seconds.

Angus

Thanks - that gives some idea of the level. I guess that it'd be lower
without wifi on.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Old March 17th 19, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Thanks - that gives some idea of the level. I guess that it'd be
lower without wifi on.

Perhaps, but I've got nine wifi devices online, excluding tablets and phones
and several wired devices, so most of us need it always on.

Angus

Old March 18th 19, 07:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 17:29 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Angus Robertson -
Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Thanks - that gives some idea of the level. I guess that it'd be
lower without wifi on.

Perhaps, but I've got nine wifi devices online, excluding tablets and phones
and several wired devices, so most of us need it always on.

Angus

That's a lot! As I have only the TV and PVR (the latter with the custom
firmware), I prefer to run CAT 5 to them.
About 12 - 15 years ago I was working on a friends' laptop and it was very
slow. After about an hour or so it told me that Avast had been updated. The
nearest possible source at that time was at least 50m away! I've been wary
of wifi ever since.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 18th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

That's a lot! As I have only the TV and PVR (the latter with the
custom firmware), I prefer to run CAT 5 to them.

There are 23 devices on the network according to network watcher, three
switches. CAT 5 to most rooms, which pre-dates reliable wifi, before that it
was network coax down the chimneys, perfect cable ducts.

Angus