Help with Outloom mail

Old March 20th 19, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Help with Outloom mail

For reasons that do not matter I have opened an account for my wife to
use at outlook.com However there is a problem with it in that mails do
not seem to be arriving. I can send from her account to any of our email
existing accounts and they arrive almost immediately. However if I use
any of our accounts to send a mail to the outlook account only the odd
one arrives.

I originally had the (Pop3) server set up as pop3.live.com (or maybe it
didn't have the 3) and mail sent from one of our existing accounts
arrived. I did some digging and found maybe I should me using
pop-mail.outlook.com and when I changed the server to that another mail
arrived but three others (or was it four others?) have still not arrived.

I know e-mail through mail clients can be a nightmare but this has me
puzzled give that only one of the mails shows up on outlook webmail. I
have used Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail (that what comes with W10)
and Thunderbird but none work.

Any (polite) suggestions?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old March 20th 19, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 20/03/2019 17:49, Woody wrote:
[...]

Use IMAP, Lets you check the SPAM folders. Try asking for delivery
reports. check on the web site for SPAM..
... check spam settings

Dave
Old March 20th 19, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Wed 20/03/2019 19:27, David Wade wrote:
[...]

Don't like imap and all the folders it insists on installing: the rest -
been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Curiously we as a family use our own domain address for our mails, and I
have a second domain, and none of these get through. However if we use
the core VM addresses that we all have - like the one I am using for
this Usenet contribution - or a gmail address they all work.

Hmm.......?

Old March 20th 19, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Microsoft mail servers filter they spam very agressively (specially
emails written from open source clients). The problem is that those
messages are completely deleted by the receiving server, and the
sending server receives no acknowledgment that the message was
discarded.

I have had that problem writing to people in organizations that have
Microsfot Exchange server and they didn't receive my emails.

Free accounts in Gmail, Yahoo Mail have spam filters that are
sometimes too agressive. Messages goes to the spam folder, but they
still kept in the spam folder. Microsoft servers just delete
completely those messages.

Gmail, yahoo, gmx are very bad for privacy, but M$ goes to another
level. They also intend to destroy the usability of the email
protocol, and the use of open source clients/servers.

I would try to send a test message from gmail webmail. To be sure
compose the message via the webmail (not in an external client).
Microsoft doesn't dare to bully gmail users. Google is very powerful
and almost everybody nowadays uses gmail.

I guess she wants to use some extra features of outlook.com
(calendaring or something related to Office 365). That's how
Microsoft infested the corporate market, through the 'extra features'.
Nowadays most organizations use Microsoft Exchange server and
corporate email has become totally unreliable.
Old March 21st 19, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

Default Help with Outlook mail

"Alfred" wrote

Free accounts in Gmail, Yahoo Mail have spam filters that are

sometimes too agressive. Messages goes to the spam folder, but they
still kept in the spam folder. Microsoft servers just delete
completely those messages.

So can Gmail. If Gmail sends a message to its Spam folder a suitable filter
will get it direct but some messages are just deleted. I notice this in
messages sent by a mailing list server from AOL.com users.

--
Mike D

Old March 21st 19, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

"Alfred" wrote

Free accounts in Gmail, Yahoo Mail have spam filters that are

sometimes too agressive. Messages goes to the spam folder, but they
still kept in the spam folder. Microsoft servers just delete
completely those messages.

So can Gmail. If Gmail sends a message to its Spam folder a suitable filter
will get it direct but some messages are just deleted. I notice this in
messages sent by a mailing list server from AOL.com users.

Possibly yes, but I have never seen messages sent to gmail vanishing.
They are kept in the spam folder for at least one month. When sending
to Microsoft Exchange servers I had several experiences where the
messages would vanish completely. And companies are paying real money
for those Exchange servers. It's not like gmail that you use it for free.

All this comes because of wanting to integrate calendaring and email.
Microsoft is making email unreliable. I don't think dropping emails
completely with no acknowledment to the sender is compliant with RFCs.
Old March 21st 19, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

On 20/03/2019 19:33, Woody wrote:
[...]

We have our own domain with 1&1 - who is yours with?
We sometimes get messages to hotmail (and it's other guises) that don't
arrive, nor do they go to junk, or bounce back

--
J B
Old March 25th 19, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 20/03/2019 19:33, Woody wrote:

Curiously we as a family use our own domain address for our mails, and I
have a second domain, and none of these get through. However if we use
the core VM addresses that we all have - like the one I am using for
this Usenet contribution - or a gmail address they all work.

SMTP Servers implementing SPF records?
If not they should be and if they are you shouldn't be able to send
through a server that's not included in the list of authorised servers
for that domain.

In simple terms, if you're sending what to all intents and purposes is a
mail from outlook.com via Virgin Media SMTP Server and VM have loosely
implemented SPF records some might go through but if they have rigidly
set SPF records to only allow e-mails from @virginmedia.com (or whatever
you're using) all others should be getting dumped.

Gmail should be going through googles' mail server which would be why
it's always getting through.

At least that's the way I understand it.