"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

Old March 28th 19, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default "Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

On 28/03/2019 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I am
in debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

Not truthfully ... it wouldn't stand up in court.

Old March 28th 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

So, by their own admission, as my contract has ended

I suspect their lawyers would phrase it differently to a bod on their
service desk ...
Old March 28th 19, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 28/03/2019 21:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

So, by their own admission, as my contract has ended

I suspect their lawyers would phrase it differently to a bod on their
service desk ...

But that's what they have informed me in writing, so what can they do?

Old March 29th 19, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Java Jive wrote:

So, by their own admission, as my contract has ended

I suspect their lawyers would phrase it differently to a bod on their
service desk ...

But that's what they have informed me in writing, so what can they do?

I'd agree. That email should be legally binding. Ball's in their court.

Old March 29th 19, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Java Jive wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47692485

"Britons who get their broadband from the UK's biggest suppliers are the
"most likely" to be getting a bad deal, reports Which?

The consumer group's latest broadband satisfaction survey places the big
providers at the bottom of rankings for service.

The which survey is always flawed as it only depends on people's answers
with no objective measure. How can customers judge slow speed being an ISP
issue versus a limitation of the line? My friend get 150mbps why can't I?

Customers complained about slow speeds, poor value for money, connection
dropouts and general service problems.

TalkTalk and Sky are the two firms at the bottom of the satisfaction survey.

They're the biggest so more people will have problems and complain.

Zen Internet came out top of the satisfaction table, with a score of 87%.

By comparison Vodafone and Virgin had 58%, BT 51% and Sky and TalkTalk 50%.

"It's outrageous that the biggest providers are still letting their
customers down with shoddy broadband, especially when we know that
longstanding customers are the most likely to be overpaying," said
Natalie Hitchins, head of home products and services at Which?"

Just like energy suppliers. Simply switch or threaten to. I've not paid
full price for years.

Old March 29th 19, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:

So, by their own admission, as my contract has ended

I suspect their lawyers would phrase it differently to a bod on their
service desk ...

But that's what they have informed me in writing, so what can they do?

I'd agree. That email should be legally binding. Ball's in their court.

The 18 month contract may have ended but I would be very surprised if
the ongoing T&Cs for the service do not include a 30 day (or one month)
notice period for changing broadband supplier.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 29th 19, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 29/03/2019 08:58, Martin Brown wrote:

The 18 month contract may have ended but I would be very surprised if
the ongoing T&Cs for the service do not include a 30 day (or one month)
notice period for changing broadband supplier.

According to what they have put in writing to me, 10 days' notice, which
they more than had. The whole problem is that they've chosen to ignore
it because it was put in a support ticket, whereas they'd rather I rang
them up, but, as I've already pointed out, a phone call is only legally
binding if they have recorded it with my permission, while what I put in
a support ticket is equivalent to email and therefore legally binding -
there is no legal basis for them choosing to ignore it.
Old March 30th 19, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cybuerke

On 29/03/2019 09:48, Java Jive wrote:

According to what they have put in writing to me, 10 days' notice, which
they more than had.* The whole problem is that they've chosen to ignore
it because it was put in a support ticket, whereas they'd rather I rang
them up, but, as I've already pointed out, a phone call is only legally
binding if they have recorded it with my permission, while what I put in
a support ticket is equivalent to email and therefore legally binding* -
*there is no legal basis for them choosing to ignore it.

Yes, I suspect that the reason they try to insist on a phone call is to
give their retention agents a chance to earn some commission.

I had a falling out with an ISP some years back, and they tried to
insist that my support email wasn't acceptable notice, and even
mentioned the possibility of debt collectors unless I went through the
"proper procedure". Not being over impressed, and my having had a
particularly bad week, I resorted to less than polite language in my
reply. Something along the lines of "bring it on", "get a life" or "go
forth and multiply". They didn't give me the courtesy of a reply.

Old March 30th 19, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 30/03/2019 07:29, cybuerke wrote:

I had a falling out with an ISP some years back, and they tried to
insist that my support email wasn't acceptable notice, and even
mentioned the possibility of debt collectors unless I went through the
"proper procedure". Not being over impressed, and my having had a
particularly bad week, I resorted to less than polite language in my
reply. Something along the lines of "bring it on", "get a life" or "go
forth and multiply". They didn't give me the courtesy of a reply.

I presume you heard nothing further..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 30th 19, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cybuerke

On 30/03/2019 19:01, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 30/03/2019 07:29, cybuerke wrote:

I had a falling out with an ISP some years back, and they tried to
insist that my support email wasn't acceptable notice, and even
mentioned the possibility of debt collectors unless I went through the
"proper procedure".* Not being over impressed, and my having had a
particularly bad week, I resorted to less than polite language in my
reply. Something along the lines of "bring it on", "get a life" or "go
forth and multiply".* They didn't give me the courtesy of a reply.

I presume you heard nothing further..?

Not a word. The new provider took over the line without a hitch. Come
to think of it, the old supplier still owes me for a couple of days line
rental credit. It's less than six years - if I can raise the
enthusiasm, I might put in a claim for that...