"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

Old March 31st 19, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default "Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

On 28/03/2019 21:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I am
in debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

Not truthfully ... it wouldn't stand up in court.

Try it with Sky or Ancestry and I suspect you will lose big time unless
you follow their specific unsubscribe instructions to the exact letter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 31st 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 31/03/2019 11:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I
am in debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

Not truthfully ... it wouldn't stand up in court.

Try it with Sky or Ancestry and I suspect you will lose big time unless
you follow their specific unsubscribe instructions to the exact letter.

I have proof that they themselves have informed me in (digital) writing
that my contract with them has ended, therefore they cannot claim that
their own T&C still apply. I can prove also that they have been
informed in (digital) writing that I do not wish to continue with their
(so-called) service. If they choose to ignore that communication for
procedural reasons internal to themselves, the legal consequences of
that are their problem, not mine.
Old March 31st 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 29/03/2019 08:39, Chris wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

"It's outrageous that the biggest providers are still letting their
customers down with shoddy broadband, especially when we know that
longstanding customers are the most likely to be overpaying," said
Natalie Hitchins, head of home products and services at Which?"

Just like energy suppliers. Simply switch or threaten to. I've not paid
full price for years.

Because the not-so-Great British public are lame rather than great, we
have accepted a world where the default behaviour of a business is
dishonest, and they only see a need to be honest with us when we
complain, but the point is we shouldn't have to undergo this annual
farce just to keep suppliers honest - shouldn't their behaviour be
honest by default? By negotiating rather than walking, you are ensuring
that next year you'll have to undergo the same farce again. Wouldn't it
be more sensible in the long term to find a supplier whose behaviour you
can trust? This is why I stick with Virgin for my mobile phone service,
and LV for my insurance, because their annual price increases are mostly
in step with inflation.

Old March 31st 19, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

This is why I stick with [...] LV for my insurance, because their
annual price increases are mostly in step with inflation.

My renewal with LV this year was increased and was higher than a quote I
obtained from their website as a new customer, unfortunately due to
"other things" I didn't have time to speak to them, so let it renew ...
Old April 1st 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Java Jive wrote:

[...]

It's called a competitive market. It is common in many areas for potential
customers to be enticed with sweetener deals. It's up to the customer to
play the market.

You can complain all you like about it being unfair or you can just get on
with it and earn your discounts.

Most of these services are indistinguishable from each other; they're
simply cables or pipes into your home so there's little point to stick with
a supplier.

Old April 1st 19, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 01/04/2019 08:26, Chris wrote:

It's called a competitive market. It is common in many areas for potential
customers to be enticed with sweetener deals. It's up to the customer to
play the market.

No, you are mistaken, in the absence of actual monopolies or price
fixing rings, markets have always been competitive, whereas this
particular phenomenon, though it has its historical precedents - for
example the behaviour of bus companies in providing services that
arrived at bus stops a few minutes before the published timetables of
rivals - is comparatively recent. It is perfectly possible to have a
competitive market where companies behave themselves.

You can complain all you like about it being unfair or you can just get on
with it and earn your discounts.

Or you can be more ethical and choose to do business only with companies
that experience has taught that you can trust.

Most of these services are indistinguishable from each other; they're
simply cables or pipes into your home so there's little point to stick with
a supplier.

There is every point - it saves you the hassle of sorting out the mess
every year.
Old April 7th 19, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended.

That's pretty much normal now. Tempt newcomers with a low price and put
it in the small print that the price increases at the end of the initial
contract.

I'm with BT and it was made fairly clear to me that when my initial 18
month contract expires the price will increase by some huge amount.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 7th 19, 06:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 07/04/2019 00:30, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments
by 50% when my initial contract with them ended.

That's pretty much normal now. Tempt newcomers with a low price and put
it in the small print that the price increases at the end of the initial
contract.

I'm with BT and it was made fairly clear to me that when my initial 18
month contract expires the price will increase by some huge amount.

....unless you renew your contract.

Twas ever the same with BT Privacy. You renew your contract and you get
free CLI (sorry, Caller Display) but when your contract expires you
continue to get phone service and BT Privacy but they start charging you
for the latter.

Thankfully of course OfCom have stepped in and made all SPs provide CLI
f.o.c.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 7th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Woody wrote:
[...]

Ah, that'll explain it. I was reviewing my plus.net account the other day
and I noticed caller display was free. Never used to be. Signed up
immediately it was working within a few hours.

Old May 28th 19, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default The John Lewis Broadband Fiasco (was "Britons get 'bad deal' frombroadband giants")

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended.* They're not getting any
more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me.* Then
they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket wasn't a
method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I stopped the
payments.* They still keep sending me payment reminders to which I can't
reply, so I simply delete them.* AFAIAC, it's all a problem entirely of
their own making, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help them solve it!

To remind you, I requested cancellation of the service via a support
ticket on 2/3/19, but they chose to ignore it.

For your edification, I enclose some correspondence which tell the end
of the story ...

JLB 05/03/19

"We can only accept cancellation notice Verbally via phone and we
require 10 days notice.

If you would like to action this, please call our Customer Options Team
on: 0800 022 3300"

I did not ring, because I considered that I had taken adequate legal
steps to discontinue the service, so I simply cancelled the Direct Debit.

JLB 11/03/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We're emailing you as we've noticed that you don't have any payment
details setup for your account. You need to set these up now, otherwise
this will affect your service."

Me 11/03/19

"As previously advised, I have closed my account, and expect the service
to end on 22nd March."

JLB 11/03/19

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we don't pick up any emails
sent to this address."

And so followed countless other emails from JLB adopting an initially
harassing but then increasingly threatening tone, none of which could be
replied to.

JLB 31/03/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We've still not received the payment for your service that was due on
18th March 2019. Because of this, your service has been restricted."

JLB 27/04/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

This is an important message about payments you haven't made.

We have previously notified you there is an overdue balance of 76.20 on
your account."

Finally on 17/05/19 a letter came from JLB saying that the so-called
debt had been passed to a debt collection agency. This was my reply:

"You are mistaken. I owe John Lewis Broadband nothing, and consequently
I demand that they discontinue their harassment of me immediately.

I enclose a copy of a support email from JLB dated 31/01/2019 which
states unambiguously that my contract with them had already ended. If
my contract has ended, then so have the T&C I agreed to when first
accepting JLB's service, so there can no longer be any possible legal
basis for JLB claiming that I owe them money.

Further, I enclose also a copy of a support ticket I raised in reply
requesting termination of the service, which was also copied to Ofcom
and my local parliamentary representatives. I am aware that JLB chose
to ignore this request, but that request was made in a legally valid
manner and thus JLB have no legal basis for choosing to ignore it, and
any consequences of their so doing are their problem not mine.
Incidentally, just before the expiration date mentioned therein, I
disconnected my phone and router from the line.

Further JLB have since sent me countless harassing emails, none of which
could be replied to, so I have simply ignored them. Again, if JLB want
to make themselves awkward and difficult to do business with, the
consequences of that are down to them, and two can play at that game.

I repeat that JLB have no possible legal basis for claiming that I owe
them any money, and, to prevent possible counter legal action, this
harassment must cease immediately."

There then followed a couple of "Oops! Sorry!" emails, and finally today:

Finally today, JLB 28/05/19:

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We've now closed your Contact us Query (reference 190524920).

The following comment was added to your Query:

Dear Mr Macfarlane,

I have now requested the removal of your account from the third party
Debt Collection Agency, and this will take 7-10 working days to action.
You may receive contact in the interim, but please ignore this as we are
in the process of having your balance removed.

[...]

INTERNAL

Balance removed from DCA, customer requested to cancel in March, OB not
owed."

As to whether this humiliation will make them change their procedures so
that they can respond appropriately when a customer retaliates to their
silly-buggery with silly-buggery of his/her own, is anybody's guess, but
they sure-as-hell they need to.

Incidentally, the debt collection agency also sent me an email about the
so-called debt, which also could not be replied to. WTF is the point of
all this modern technology, which would seem almost miraculous to
someone born 100 years ago, when it's so widely abused as to be rendered
almost neutered?