"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

Old March 31st 19, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default "Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

On 28/03/2019 21:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I am
in debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

Not truthfully ... it wouldn't stand up in court.

Try it with Sky or Ancestry and I suspect you will lose big time unless
you follow their specific unsubscribe instructions to the exact letter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 31st 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 31/03/2019 11:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:17, Java Jive wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:11, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I
am in debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

Not truthfully ... it wouldn't stand up in court.

Try it with Sky or Ancestry and I suspect you will lose big time unless
you follow their specific unsubscribe instructions to the exact letter.

I have proof that they themselves have informed me in (digital) writing
that my contract with them has ended, therefore they cannot claim that
their own T&C still apply. I can prove also that they have been
informed in (digital) writing that I do not wish to continue with their
(so-called) service. If they choose to ignore that communication for
procedural reasons internal to themselves, the legal consequences of
that are their problem, not mine.
Old March 31st 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 29/03/2019 08:39, Chris wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

"It's outrageous that the biggest providers are still letting their
customers down with shoddy broadband, especially when we know that
longstanding customers are the most likely to be overpaying," said
Natalie Hitchins, head of home products and services at Which?"

Just like energy suppliers. Simply switch or threaten to. I've not paid
full price for years.

Because the not-so-Great British public are lame rather than great, we
have accepted a world where the default behaviour of a business is
dishonest, and they only see a need to be honest with us when we
complain, but the point is we shouldn't have to undergo this annual
farce just to keep suppliers honest - shouldn't their behaviour be
honest by default? By negotiating rather than walking, you are ensuring
that next year you'll have to undergo the same farce again. Wouldn't it
be more sensible in the long term to find a supplier whose behaviour you
can trust? This is why I stick with Virgin for my mobile phone service,
and LV for my insurance, because their annual price increases are mostly
in step with inflation.

Old March 31st 19, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

This is why I stick with [...] LV for my insurance, because their
annual price increases are mostly in step with inflation.

My renewal with LV this year was increased and was higher than a quote I
obtained from their website as a new customer, unfortunately due to
"other things" I didn't have time to speak to them, so let it renew ...
Old April 1st 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Java Jive wrote:

[...]

It's called a competitive market. It is common in many areas for potential
customers to be enticed with sweetener deals. It's up to the customer to
play the market.

You can complain all you like about it being unfair or you can just get on
with it and earn your discounts.

Most of these services are indistinguishable from each other; they're
simply cables or pipes into your home so there's little point to stick with
a supplier.

Old April 1st 19, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 01/04/2019 08:26, Chris wrote:

It's called a competitive market. It is common in many areas for potential
customers to be enticed with sweetener deals. It's up to the customer to
play the market.

No, you are mistaken, in the absence of actual monopolies or price
fixing rings, markets have always been competitive, whereas this
particular phenomenon, though it has its historical precedents - for
example the behaviour of bus companies in providing services that
arrived at bus stops a few minutes before the published timetables of
rivals - is comparatively recent. It is perfectly possible to have a
competitive market where companies behave themselves.

You can complain all you like about it being unfair or you can just get on
with it and earn your discounts.

Or you can be more ethical and choose to do business only with companies
that experience has taught that you can trust.

Most of these services are indistinguishable from each other; they're
simply cables or pipes into your home so there's little point to stick with
a supplier.

There is every point - it saves you the hassle of sorting out the mess
every year.
Old April 7th 19, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended.

That's pretty much normal now. Tempt newcomers with a low price and put
it in the small print that the price increases at the end of the initial
contract.

I'm with BT and it was made fairly clear to me that when my initial 18
month contract expires the price will increase by some huge amount.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 7th 19, 06:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 07/04/2019 00:30, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments
by 50% when my initial contract with them ended.

That's pretty much normal now. Tempt newcomers with a low price and put
it in the small print that the price increases at the end of the initial
contract.

I'm with BT and it was made fairly clear to me that when my initial 18
month contract expires the price will increase by some huge amount.

....unless you renew your contract.

Twas ever the same with BT Privacy. You renew your contract and you get
free CLI (sorry, Caller Display) but when your contract expires you
continue to get phone service and BT Privacy but they start charging you
for the latter.

Thankfully of course OfCom have stepped in and made all SPs provide CLI
f.o.c.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 7th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Woody wrote:
[...]

Ah, that'll explain it. I was reviewing my plus.net account the other day
and I noticed caller display was free. Never used to be. Signed up
immediately it was working within a few hours.