"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

Old May 28th 19, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default The John Lewis Broadband Fiasco (was "Britons get 'bad deal'from broadband giants")

On Tue 28/05/2019 16:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments
by 50% when my initial contract with them ended.* They're not getting
any more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me.
Then they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket
wasn't a method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I
stopped the payments.* They still keep sending me payment reminders to
which I can't reply, so I simply delete them.* AFAIAC, it's all a
problem entirely of their own making, and I'm not going to lift a
finger to help them solve it!

To remind you, I requested cancellation of the service via a support
ticket on 2/3/19, but they chose to ignore it.

For your edification, I enclose some correspondence which tell the end
of the story ...

JLB 05/03/19

"We can only accept cancellation notice Verbally via phone and we
require 10 days notice.

If you would like to action this, please call our Customer Options Team
on: 0800 022 3300"

I did not ring, because I considered that I had taken adequate legal
steps to discontinue the service, so I simply cancelled the Direct Debit.

JLB 11/03/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We're emailing you as we've noticed that you don't have any payment
details setup for your account. You need to set these up now, otherwise
this will affect your service."

Me 11/03/19

"As previously advised, I have closed my account, and expect the service
to end on 22nd March."

JLB 11/03/19

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we don't pick up any emails
sent to this address."

And so followed countless other emails from JLB adopting an initially
harassing but then increasingly threatening tone, none of which could be
replied to.

JLB 31/03/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We've still not received the payment for your service that was due on
18th March 2019. Because of this, your service has been restricted."

JLB 27/04/19

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

This is an important message about payments you haven't made.

We have previously notified you there is an overdue balance of 76.20 on
your account."

Finally on 17/05/19 a letter came from JLB saying that the so-called
debt had been passed to a debt collection agency.* This was my reply:

"You are mistaken.* I owe John Lewis Broadband nothing, and consequently
I demand that they discontinue their harassment of me immediately.

I enclose a copy of a support email from JLB dated 31/01/2019 which
states unambiguously that my contract with them had already ended.* If
my contract has ended, then so have the T&C I agreed to when first
accepting JLB's service, so there can no longer be any possible legal
basis for JLB claiming that I owe them money.

Further, I enclose also a copy of a support ticket I raised in reply
requesting termination of the service, which was also copied to Ofcom
and my local parliamentary representatives.* I am aware that JLB chose
to ignore this request, but that request was made in a legally valid
manner and thus JLB have no legal basis for choosing to ignore it, and
any consequences of their so doing are their problem not mine.
Incidentally, just before the expiration date mentioned therein, I
disconnected my phone and router from the line.

Further JLB have since sent me countless harassing emails, none of which
could be replied to, so I have simply ignored them.* Again, if JLB want
to make themselves awkward and difficult to do business with, the
consequences of that are down to them, and two can play at that game.

I repeat that JLB have no possible legal basis for claiming that I owe
them any money, and, to prevent possible counter legal action, this
harassment must cease immediately."

There then followed a couple of "Oops! Sorry!" emails, and finally today:

Finally today, JLB 28/05/19:

"Account username: xxxxxxxx

We've now closed your Contact us Query (reference 190524920).

The following comment was added to your Query:

Dear Mr Macfarlane,

I have now requested the removal of your account from the third party
Debt Collection Agency, and this will take 7-10 working days to action.
You may receive contact in the interim, but please ignore this as we are
in the process of having your balance removed.

[...]

INTERNAL

Balance removed from DCA, customer requested to cancel in March, OB not
owed."

As to whether this humiliation will make them change their procedures so
that they can respond appropriately when a customer retaliates to their
silly-buggery with silly-buggery of his/her own, is anybody's guess, but
they sure-as-hell they need to.

Incidentally, the debt collection agency also sent me an email about the
so-called debt, which also could not be replied to.* WTF is the point of
all this modern technology, which would seem almost miraculous to
someone born 100 years ago, when it's so widely abused as to be rendered
almost neutered?

Well, JLB is actually supplied by PlusNet who are owned by...... BT.

Says it all really.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com