"Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

Old March 27th 19, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default "Britons get 'bad deal' from broadband giants"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47692485

"Britons who get their broadband from the UK's biggest suppliers are the
"most likely" to be getting a bad deal, reports Which?

The consumer group's latest broadband satisfaction survey places the big
providers at the bottom of rankings for service.

Customers complained about slow speeds, poor value for money, connection
dropouts and general service problems.

TalkTalk and Sky are the two firms at the bottom of the satisfaction survey.

Zen Internet came out top of the satisfaction table, with a score of 87%.

By comparison Vodafone and Virgin had 58%, BT 51% and Sky and TalkTalk 50%.

"It's outrageous that the biggest providers are still letting their
customers down with shoddy broadband, especially when we know that
longstanding customers are the most likely to be overpaying," said
Natalie Hitchins, head of home products and services at Which?"

You can say that again.

I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended. They're not getting any
more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me. Then
they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket wasn't a
method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I stopped the
payments. They still keep sending me payment reminders to which I can't
reply, so I simply delete them. AFAIAC, it's all a problem entirely of
their own making, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help them solve it!
Old March 27th 19, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Welsh[_2_]

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

[...]

It might be prudent to write them a letter, with proof of posting,
disputing the debt. If you do this it makes it difficult for them to
make a negative entry with a Credit Reference agency.

As well as Zen, IDNet are good.
Old March 27th 19, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 27/03/2019 13:01, Paul Welsh wrote:

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments
by 50% when my initial contract with them ended.* They're not getting
any more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me.
Then they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket
wasn't a method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I
stopped the payments.* They still keep sending me payment reminders to
which I can't reply, so I simply delete them.* AFAIAC, it's all a
problem entirely of their own making, and I'm not going to lift a
finger to help them solve it!

It might be prudent to write them a letter, with proof of posting,
disputing the debt. If you do this it makes it difficult for them to
make a negative entry with a Credit Reference agency.

I have a copy of the auto-acknowledgement email from when I asked them
to end their service to me because of their overcharging, I believe
that is legal status enough. (I also sent copies of that to Ofcom and
my local Parliamentary representatives to make the point more widely
that this practice of upping the monthly charge by 50% when a contract
ends is a rip-off and an unacceptable way of doing business.) Besides
that, the reason that they started overcharging me in the first place
was said end of contract, so, if I no longer have a contract with them,
how can they claim I owe them money? Further, the emails they keep
sending do not accept replies, and the only way of contacting them seems
to be by raising a support ticket or ringing them up. The latter has no
legal status unless the call is recorded by them, yet that is their
preferred option for ending their service!

So all in all, it seems to me that they've dug themselves into a legal
hole. I think I hold all the cards here.
Old March 27th 19, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended. They're not getting any
more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me. Then
they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket wasn't a
method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I stopped the
payments. They still keep sending me payment reminders to which I can't
reply, so I simply delete them. AFAIAC, it's all a problem entirely of
their own making, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help them solve it!

A slightly risky way of doing it.

After many failed attempts with tech support and formal complaints to
Vodafone for very erratic download speeds. I told them I was cancelling
3 months into the 18 month contract.

They told me I'd have to pay for early cancellation. I sent a
registered letter telling them that if they took anything by direct
debit, without further notice I'd seek to reclaim whatever they took by
action in the Small Claims Court, plus of course costs. On the basis
that the service I'd purchased from them was not of merchantable quality
(Sale of Goods Act).

The point is not to ignore them and not to cancel a DD because you then
risk them registering it as an unpaid debt with credit reference
agencies. Trying to get that cleared is a million times more difficult
than issuing a summons to reclaim whatever they take. In my case
Vodafone never attempted to take anything by DD.

Malcolm
Old March 27th 19, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On 27/03/2019 15:18, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

I suppose you are aware Mac that JLP broadband is provided by PlusNet?

Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old March 27th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 27/03/2019 18:57, Woody wrote:

I suppose you are aware Mac that JLP broadband is provided by PlusNet?

Yes, but I can't see the relevance.
Old March 27th 19, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

See my other reply to Paul Welsh ...

On 27/03/2019 15:54, Malcolm Loades wrote:

On 27/03/2019 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

I've just ditched John Lewis Broadband for upping my monthly payments by
50% when my initial contract with them ended.* They're not getting any
more of my business until they repay what they overcharged me.* Then
they tried to claim that ending my service via a support ticket wasn't a
method that was acceptable to them, so, to be certain, I stopped the
payments.* They still keep sending me payment reminders to which I can't
reply, so I simply delete them.* AFAIAC, it's all a problem entirely of
their own making, and I'm not going to lift a finger to help them
solve it!

A slightly risky way of doing it.

After many failed attempts with tech support and formal complaints to
Vodafone for very erratic download speeds.* I told them I was cancelling
3 months into the 18 month contract.

My contract had already expired.

The point is not to ignore them and not to cancel a DD because you then
risk them registering it as an unpaid debt with credit reference
agencies.

As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I am in
debt to them.
Old March 28th 19, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

the reason that they started overcharging me in the first place was said
end of contract, so, if I no longer have a contract with them, how can
they claim I owe them money?

I'm sure you well know that you didn't reach the "end of contract", you
reached the end of the "minimum period of contract"
Old March 28th 19, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 27/03/2019 20:12, Java Jive wrote:
As I no longer have a contract with them, they cannot claim that I am in
debt to them.

They can claim it alright...

I had a GSM dongle for a while. I didn't notice when I bought it that
they'd put my son's name down.

When I tried to cancel I couldn't pass the security questions. Nor could
he. We even went into a shop - only to find the place where I bought it
no longer dealt with that company...

I had no choice but to stop the direct debit. Even that didn't make them
contact me - although the tracked down my son (who had moved out 5 years
before) who of course denied all knowledge.

Andy
Old March 28th 19, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 28/03/2019 16:45, Andy Burns wrote:

I'm sure you well know that you didn't reach the "end of contract", you
reached the end of the "minimum period of contract"

No ...

"Dear Mr Macfarlane, In response to your query regarding the charges for
your services, I have reviewed your account and can confirm that your
contract has now ended and therefore the discounts you had in place have
also expired. This is why there has been an increase in your bills.
Prior to your contract ending, you were charged as agreed."

So, by their own admission, as my contract has ended, they cannot claim
that I owe them any money !-)