Vigor 2860 firmware versions

Old March 29th 19, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Vigor 2860 firmware versions

Java Jive wrote:
On 28/03/2019 18:03, Graham J wrote:

I have a Vigor V2860 which I use on a VDSL service.

[snip]

As you appear to have discovered, the downloads page for that model is*:
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860

** As an aside, since telnet commands have been discussed downthread,
note also on that page the User Guide download (PDF), which has an
appendix of telnet commands from p561 (printed) p575 (PDF reader) onwards.

I found:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860/send/344-vigor-2860/1062-v2860-ug-v45

.... but the telnet section does not include anything on the command
"vdsl snr ?"

Returning to firmware, if you click on the Release Notes on that page
and download and read the resulting PDF, p2:

I have all that, and quoted it in my original post

So I agree that there's nothing there about the others, but they do seem
reasonably confident that you should be using the BT version, which
makes sense, given that we're in the UK.

However, if you'd like to explore the others further, or perhaps more
usefully receive help specifically targetted at your problem, then I'd
suggest raising a support call, and tell them what you've told us:
****https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery

I have posted a support request about the poor reliability but the only
reply so far has been to try the alternate modem code
AnnexA_574307_571801 which did not perform any better.

I explicitly asked for a recommendation of better alternative firmware,
but no response as yet.

--
Graham J
Old March 29th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I have a Vigor V2860 which I use on a VDSL service.

The currently recommended firmware is v2860_3894_BT, but this
drops the line about 3 times per day, at random. The FTTC
cabinet is almost exactly a kilometre away, and the router
reports download speed at 28Mbits/sec, 3dB SNR margin, and 27dB
attenuation; which is consistent with the kilometer distance.
The SNR margin varies between 4dB and 0dB, and when it is near
0dB the connection is likely to drop. When it re-syncs it
achieves 3dB and virtually the same downstream speed as
previously.

You can adjust the Vigor SNR delta to reduce your maximum speed and achieve
more stability, or vice versa. Has to be done from a command line prompt, if
you get it wrong change it back.

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-c...ow-to-adjust-a
dsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

Angus

Old March 29th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Thanks Angus. I've tried to find the telnet manual for the
V2860, without success. The Draytek site only has older manuals
which suggest adsl codinggain (for 2800 series)) but nothing
newer. Can you suggest a link please?

Sorry, I did this about a month ago when my 2860 self destructed and VDSL died
(but not the cable modem it also uses), required a factory reset to bring it
back to life followed by two days of trying to restore rules and settings, lots
of searching online, but forget most of what I did now.

In the end, the SNR delta made no difference, so left it alone.

Angus

Old April 2nd 19, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 9, 2019.

Draytek stuff is probably better than most cheapo consumer routers,
but they are still buggy...

Their support has no access to software development, so nothing gets
fixed.
Old April 2nd 19, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 07:55:46 +0100, Peter wrote:

Draytek stuff is probably better than most cheapo consumer routers, but
they are still buggy...

Their support has no access to software development, so nothing gets
fixed.

My experience was that I reported a bug they didn't know about, and I got
a beta version of new firmware five days later.
Old April 2nd 19, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On 2 Apr 2019 07:46:21 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Draytek stuff is probably better than most cheapo consumer routers, but
they are still buggy...

Their support has no access to software development, so nothing gets
fixed.

My experience was that I reported a bug they didn't know about, and I got
a beta version of new firmware five days later.

"Beta" meaning "possibly containing more bugs"?

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old April 2nd 19, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 12:27:27 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

On 2 Apr 2019 07:46:21 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Draytek stuff is probably better than most cheapo consumer routers,
but they are still buggy...

Their support has no access to software development, so nothing gets
fixed.

My experience was that I reported a bug they didn't know about, and I
got a beta version of new firmware five days later.

"Beta" meaning "possibly containing more bugs"?

I've been using it for several years with no issues!