Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

Old March 30th 19, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 30/03/2019 22:42, Martin Brown wrote:

On 30/03/2019 17:55, Java Jive wrote:

No it's desperately s-l-o-w, around 1.4Mbps, and is also unreliable on
a different timescale* -* in the past I've had to suffer several
months at half or less than that, and when this happens, OpenReach
always try to wriggle out of fixing it by declaring it a 'long-line
issue'* -* one

It probably is. I have similar long line problems but at 5Mbps ADSL.

No, the basic bandwidth of 1.4Mbps is a long line issue, it suddenly
being halved for no apparent reason is a fault.
Old April 1st 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 30/03/2019 20:36, Graham J wrote:

A friend in a location where there is no ADSL whatever is using a 4G
router and external antennae (all from Solwise).* It appears to be
reliable, but speeds range from 25mbits/sec down to 1.5mbits/sec
according to congestion.

This?
https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-router-patriot-4g.html
Old April 1st 19, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 29/03/2019 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now in 3 different routers, and
it's given trouble in all of them

Mine is only as a backup, it has an EE SIM with 250MB of free data per
month (which I test every few weeks) so I can't speak about its
reliability as a primary device.

Does yours have a microSD Card?

Old April 1st 19, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Java Jive wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:36, Graham J wrote:

A friend in a location where there is no ADSL whatever is using a 4G
router and external antennae (all from Solwise).* It appears to be
reliable, but speeds range from 25mbits/sec down to 1.5mbits/sec
according to congestion.

This?
https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-router-patriot-4g.html

No.

Teltonika RUT 950

See: https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/...-datasheet.pdf

He used two separate antennae mounted high up on an external wall.
Solwise say it's important to keep the antennae close together - no more
than about 50cm apart.

He has line of sight to the 4G mast which I think is at Hunstanton,
about about 20km distant.

--
Graham J
Old April 1st 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 01/04/2019 12:45, Graham J wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On 30/03/2019 20:36, Graham J wrote:

A friend in a location where there is no ADSL whatever is using a 4G
router and external antennae (all from Solwise).* It appears to be
reliable, but speeds range from 25mbits/sec down to 1.5mbits/sec
according to congestion.

This?
https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-router-patriot-4g.html

No.

Teltonika RUT 950

See: https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/...-datasheet.pdf

He used two separate antennae mounted high up on an external wall.
Solwise say it's important to keep the antennae close together - no more
than about 50cm apart.

There will likely be an optimum antenna spacing that allows you to put a
null onto any adjacent interfering source. Too large a separation and/or
a spacing that isn't perpendicular to the line of sight to the mast and
you will potentially get phase delay problems that affect decoding.

He has line of sight to the 4G mast which I think is at Hunstanton,
about about 20km distant.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 1st 19, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Mine is only as a backup

Does yours have a microSD Card?

It has a slot, but I don't have a card installed, it was originally an
E3372h and I converted the firmware to E3372s.
Old April 8th 19, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 29/03/2019 15:03, Java Jive wrote:
As stated in other threads, I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now
in 3 different routers, and it's given trouble in all of them* -* first
a DrayTek Vigor 2830n, next each of two BT Home Hub 5as that I have
posted about recently, and it's pretty much the same story on all of
them* -* particularly but by no means exclusively in bad weather, not
just rain, squalls of wind alone seem to be sufficient, the connection
drops, sometimes repeatedly several times in an hour.* Each time the
router must at least be rebooted, or, always with the DrayTek, sometimes
with the HH5as, power-cycled.* AFAIAA, despite the weather relatedness
this isn't a signal problem only, because my mobile always seems to have
a connection, and as it's happened similarly in so many routers, I guess
it's just a bad'un, and must be replaced.

Well, what do you know, it's been faultless for a week now, even during
bad weather. I wonder if work was being done on the local mast, or
something like that?