Planning for FTTP

Old April 4th 19, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

Default Planning for FTTP

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 20:13:28 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 02/04/2019 07:54, Peter wrote:

At home, we will go for FTTP one day. We want to re-do our drive
however, well before FTTP will be available here. And I don't want
another Openreach oliver and hardy team to want to dig it all up...

You may find this moling video interesting, I suppose BT could use
similar techniques - though at cost ...

MDPE WATER MAINS INSTALLATION - No Digging - Moling - Trenchless Pipe
Replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3K01X7o340

In the early days of pneumatic moles I was involved in a project to
lay a cable under a very busy 4 lane highway in Perth Western
Australia, c1975

The mole, about $5000 worth as I recall, got about half way and
jammed. There was a reversing cable but in trying to applying that
the cable broke away. Pulling it back by the pneumatic cable didn't
work either. Bear in mind that the ground is basically sand so we
were not expecting major issues.

Although we had an idea of where the mole was we didn't have any
sophisticated locator. A Saturday night/Sunday morning attempt at
digging a hole in the road still failed and in the end it was decided
the cost of any further retrieval attempts outweighed the value of the
item and for all I know it is still there.

--
AnthonyL