Planning for FTTP

Old April 2nd 19, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Planning for FTTP

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 9, 2019.

Hi All,

I have a Q about the way BT would run the fibre.

At work, they are "putting in" FTTP and will connect into a manhole
cover across the road. The fibre will run in the ground all the way.

They are so far taking about 5 months because the pipe running under
the road, with the rope in it, got crushed at some point so they can't
pull the rope through, so in a comedy like Fawlty Towers they set up
roadworks to dig the road up, only to realise it is also crushed
further along, so more roadworks planned... it is ridiculous. I
thought they had those drilling devices which can go under the ground?

At home, we will go for FTTP one day. We want to re-do our drive
however, well before FTTP will be available here. And I don't want
another Openreach oliver and hardy team to want to dig it all up...

Currently the copper wire runs from a pole to the roof of our house,
through some trees whose foliage it is sitting on.

Will they run the fibre the same way. or does it have to go
underground?

I could put in a drain pipe with a rope in it, under the new drive,
but would BT be willing to use it? These people are sometimes really
anal.

Many thanks for any tips
Old April 2nd 19, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Tue 02/04/2019 07:54, Peter wrote:
[...]

Er, shouldn't that be Laurel and Hardy?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 2nd 19, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Peter wrote:

[snip]

Will they run the fibre the same way. or does it have to go
underground?

I could put in a drain pipe with a rope in it, under the new drive,
but would BT be willing to use it? These people are sometimes really
anal.

Many thanks for any tips

A friend living in Lyddington, Rutland had fibre run by a non-BT
organisation (perhaps Rutland Telecom) through the village. A trench
ran along the pavement between his boundary and the road, in which the
fibre was laid.

Outside each house was installed a small footway box, circular rather
like the box used for a water meter, and those people wishing to connect
to the fibre were expected to install a suitable duct across their front
garden to carry a fibre to this footway box where presumably their fibre
would be optically coupled.

Then in the house they would be provided with a router having a fibre
termination.

Next time I go there I will look carefully at several of these
installations to see what more I can learn.

I've seen FTTP "cables" on poles in a rural area near Holbeach St
Matthews, but as yet these cables are not connected to anything (and
haven't been for at lest 3 years!) - they are just coils tied to the
poles. I suspect this means that if FTTP is ever available there, it
will be brought into each individual dwelling overhead in the same way
as the copper dropwires are currently.

--
Graham J
Old April 2nd 19, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 02/04/2019 07:54, Peter wrote:

Currently the copper wire runs from a pole to the roof of our house,
through some trees whose foliage it is sitting on.

Will they run the fibre the same way. or does it have to go
underground?

When ADSL came to an estate nearby, it was run underground for the last
part.

The houses were either side of the road off the main highway and a
semicircle at the end of the cul de sac.

The problem was that the front wall of each house was its boundary. The
front garden and road were still council property.

Therefore, when they had permission from the council, the installers
just merrily dug and laid pipes through all the gardens and across drives.

Block paving had a tarmac band in the middle and rose bushes disappeared.

Try to find out directly what they plan to do. (But be careful. Any
suggestion that you might know better may result in your upgrade
slipping down the queue).

--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Old April 2nd 19, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill[_2_]

On 02/04/2019 10:12, Graham J wrote:
Peter wrote:

[snip]

[...]

That is the way that GigaClear provide FTTP. GigaClear are the main
providers of the EU/UK government funded programme to roll out FTTP to
rural areas of the country.

Next time I go there I will look carefully at several of these
installations to see what more I can learn.

I've seen FTTP "cables" on poles in a rural area near Holbeach St
Matthews, but as yet these cables are not connected to anything (and
haven't been for at lest 3 years!) - they are just coils tied to the
poles. I suspect this means that if FTTP is ever available there, it
will be brought into each individual dwelling overhead in the same way
as the copper dropwires are currently.

That is they way it is being done in my village. This is being done by a
company called Truespeed. They have strung cables up on the existing
poles and then they will feed individual properties overhead from the poles.

Of course my house has all services coming in underground. They say
they'll use the ducts but there's no sign of that yet. Ho Hum.

Regards

Mark
Old April 2nd 19, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare[_2_]

[...]

Try posting on www.thinkbroadband.com Good chance of a knowledgeable

answer.

--
Michael Chare
Old April 2nd 19, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Mark Undrill" wrote in message

Of course my house has all services coming in underground. They say
they'll use the ducts but there's no sign of that yet. Ho Hum.

Do BT still insist on feeding the underground cable through a duct that ends
*outside* the house, where it is vulnerable to accidental or deliberate
damage between the end of the duct and the point where the cable goes
through the house wall?

Old April 2nd 19, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill[_2_]

On 02/04/2019 16:24, NY wrote:
"Mark Undrill" wrote in message

Of course my house has all services coming in underground. They say
they'll use the ducts but there's no sign of that yet. Ho Hum.

Do BT still insist on feeding the underground cable through a duct that ends
*outside* the house, where it is vulnerable to accidental or deliberate
damage between the end of the duct and the point where the cable goes
through the house wall?

BT is not involved in any of this. If your provider is GigaClear then
they provide a connection point outside your house. They will connect
your house up, at a cost, or you can do it yourself or pay someone else
to do it for you. Other providers will have different
operations/requirements.

Regards
--
Mark
Old April 2nd 19, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 02/04/2019 07:54, Peter wrote:
Will they run the fibre the same way. or does it have to go
underground?

Our FTTP is run overhead.

In fact the feeds to the entire village are overhead a lot of the way!

Andy
Old April 3rd 19, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 02/04/2019 07:54, Peter wrote:

At home, we will go for FTTP one day. We want to re-do our drive
however, well before FTTP will be available here. And I don't want
another Openreach oliver and hardy team to want to dig it all up...

You may find this moling video interesting, I suppose BT could use
similar techniques - though at cost ...

MDPE WATER MAINS INSTALLATION - No Digging - Moling - Trenchless Pipe
Replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3K01X7o340

--
Adrian C