Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

Old April 4th 19, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

On 04/04/2019 11:01, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/04/2019 18:59, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Probably a free 200MB/month deal from Three then.
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I use one of those for my backup connectivity (used to have one of the
non-expiring vodafone 1GB dongles till they cancelled them) 200MB is
enough to test it every now and then for free, and if I ever need to
use it anger I can just buy a top-up for it.

I have recommended it to several of the residual ex-Demon dialup
customers who were still using dialup until the demise of the POPs.

Only snag is you do need a mobile signal for it to work.

Which is a problem on a great deal of the UK canal network, which is the
main reason I want the thing..! Annoying or what..?!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 14th 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 21, 2019.

A few years ago laptops with a 3G (sometimes even 4G) modem were
fairly common. They usually came as a Vodafone-locked model and the
laptop maker had a deal going with Vodafone

They could be unlocked with various software utilities which you can
find online. I recall using a thing called 190unlocker.exe...

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

So one looks at contract SIMs and I use a Voda data SIM for about 9 a
month. This has something like 1GB allowance and works everywhere I
have been. Voda have a good network and lots of roaming agreements.

However all this is getting sidelines by the large data allowances on
phone SIMs. I am on Voda on my phone and get 5GB/month for about 17.
So I just use the phone as a hotspot for the laptop.

MissRiaElaine wrote

Hi all,

I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am
pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card.

I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine
has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have
an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it,
which at 1p/MB would last me at least a year or so.

Can I simply use this..? I've tested it and it works, but are Three
going to realise the SIM isn't in a phone any more and block it..? If
so, given my VERY limited use of it, what's the best thing to go for..?

My other query concerns the card itself. For some reason, the BIOS of
the machine (it's a Dell Latitude E6430) doesn't seem to think there is
a card installed at all, but yet it's working, which seems very strange
to me. I'm not clued up enough about computer hardware/firmware or
whatever it is to know.

It's not really a problem, as the card is there and it works, but I'm
just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Old April 14th 19, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 14/04/2019 19:12, Peter wrote:
[...]

EE (or was it 3?) do a 20GB SIM that last 12 months so the idea of 90
days cut-off cannot apply. Most SPs want to see activity once every 180
days before thinking about cutting you off. Having said that 3 boast
that they never cut anyone off. Indeed I was playing with some old
phones a few months ago one of which was two or three phones back so
probably hadn't been used in about 3 years but it had a 3 SIM in it
which still had credit and still worked. I used it - including topping
up a fiver - for about two months for various reasons.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 14th 19, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 19:31:14 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
[...]

P&G SIM's for mobiles last for ages, and only require a chargeable call every three or six months. OTOH they usually will get cut off if you tether.

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them alive and get cut off as above for non use.

Old April 14th 19, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 21, 2019.

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

P&G SIM's for mobiles last for ages, and only require a chargeable call every three or six months. OTOH they usually will get cut off if you tether.

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them alive and get cut off as above for non use.

How can they tell you are tethering?

This was discussed before. There are many ways but all of them have
big problems with false positives. And all can be beaten by using a
VPN.
Old April 14th 19, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/04/2019 19:12, Peter wrote:
[...]

Looking at the terms for the Data Reward SIM from 3, it would seem that
using it once every 6 months is enough to keep it active.

My laptop spends most of its time on a docking station, but What seems
to be a reasonable way of keeping the data SIM active is to take it
through to the bedroom once every so often (which I sometimes do anyway)
and fire up the SIM instead of wifi for a few minutes, just enough to
check emails or whatever. Just takes a few extra minutes and keeps the
SIM feeling wanted :-)

My phone is PAYG so the data use on that I try and keep to a minimum.
17 would keep me going for about three years, never mind a month..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 14th 19, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/04/2019 21:49, Peter wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

P&G SIM's for mobiles last for ages, and only require a chargeable call every three or six months. OTOH they usually will get cut off if you tether.

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them alive and get cut off as above for non use.

How can they tell you are tethering?

People tend to use somewhat more data on a laptop than they do on a
phone. Having said that, I think 3 don't bother worrying about it any
more, although I could be wrong.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 14th 19, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/04/2019 21:32, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them alive and get cut off as above for non use.

Not the Data Reward SIM. 200MB a month free. Nothing about topping up
that I can see,

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 15th 19, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:12:52 +0100, Peter
wrote:

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

I discovered this not long ago when I checked my emergency phone and
found that it didn't work. It's a good thing I didn't discover it in
an actual emergency, or it could have been a bit more than a PITA. Now
that I know about it I can deal with it with a calendar reminder to
make a brief call every 12 weeks, but I'm surprised it's actually
legal for a company to take your money and then not provide what
you've paid for.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old April 15th 19, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 23:38:48 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/04/2019 21:49, Peter wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

P&G SIM's for mobiles last for ages, and only require a chargeable call every three or six months. OTOH they usually will get cut off if you tether.

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them alive and get cut off as above for non use.

How can they tell you are tethering?

People tend to use somewhat more data on a laptop than they do on a
phone. Having said that, I think 3 don't bother worrying about it any
more, although I could be wrong.

I think they look up the MAC address and if it isn't a phone they can tell. Usage as well of course.

3 used to be **** about this, but last year got rapped over the knuckles by Ofcom and may be more sensible now.

Apparently: -

"
Ofcom's Original Net Neutrality Statement

Since we opened our investigation in March 2018, Three has confirmed that it has already:

* withdrawn restrictions which slowed down speeds of Peer-to-Peer and Virtual Private Network traffic for customers when roaming within the EU; and

* withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis.

Three has also confirmed that, from December 2018 (or earlier), it will:

* cease to restrict video quality to Standard Definition when its customers are roaming in the EU;

* remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);

* remove any requirements for customers to purchase a Data Passport to tether when roaming in the EU;

* allow customers on all Advanced Plans to tether without restriction; and

* allow customers on Essential Plans to tether on their current plan, or to migrate to the nearest equivalent Advanced Plan available at that time.
"

--
Ria in Aberdeen