Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

Old April 15th 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

On 15/04/2019 16:22, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 14 April 2019 23:38:48 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How can they tell you are tethering?

People tend to use somewhat more data on a laptop than they do on a
phone. Having said that, I think 3 don't bother worrying about it any
more, although I could be wrong.

3 don't bother, because Ofcom issued a directive to all mobile
operators, that 'data is data' and if the punter wants to **** away
10 gigs in an hour, let them please.

I think they look up the MAC address and if it isn't a phone they can tell.

I don't think so, it was deep packet inspection

--
Mark
Old April 15th 19, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 15/04/2019 08:43, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:12:52 +0100, Peter
wrote:

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

I discovered this not long ago when I checked my emergency phone and
found that it didn't work. It's a good thing I didn't discover it in
an actual emergency, or it could have been a bit more than a PITA. Now
that I know about it I can deal with it with a calendar reminder to
make a brief call every 12 weeks, but I'm surprised it's actually
legal for a company to take your money and then not provide what
you've paid for.

Ah, but you supposedly read the 'terms and conditions' when you signed up...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 15th 19, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

wrote:

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

I discovered this not long ago when I checked my emergency phone and
found that it didn't work. It's a good thing I didn't discover it in
an actual emergency, or it could have been a bit more than a PITA. Now
that I know about it I can deal with it with a calendar reminder to
make a brief call every 12 weeks, but I'm surprised it's actually
legal for a company to take your money and then not provide what
you've paid for.

Ah, but you supposedly read the 'terms and conditions' when you signed
up...

If the needs of the consumer were out before anything else, it would not be
legal to make such terms and conditions, even if you notified people of them
in advance...

Old April 15th 19, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Peter wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

P&G SIM's for mobiles last for ages, and only require a chargeable call
every three or six months. OTOH they usually will get cut off if you tether.

OTOH P&G SIMs for laptops usually require a regular top up to keep them
alive and get cut off as above for non use.

How can they tell you are tethering?

This is old news. There has been a ruling that ISPs are not allowed to
differentiate between data and phone SIMs. Tethering is now acceptable for
all Sims.

Old April 16th 19, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 14/04/2019 19:12, Peter wrote:

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

Some Three & EE PAYG SIMs are good for 12/24 months with 12GB or 24GB of
prepaid data. They are probably best bought when on offer on Amazon and
you sometimes need heavy data usage away from ADSL or Wifi. eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobil...dp/B01M3VJ2B2/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-PAYG-Car...dp/B013EBUPMO/

Read the small print carefully some PAYG SIMs with the same capacity do
time out after 30 or 90 days.

You might have to do something chargeable every 3 or 6 months to keep
them alive and you lose any data still on it when it expires. The clock
starts ticking from the time of first use. EE requires activation too.

Prices vary remarkably with time. EE was at one point half the Three
price per GB. They are at present much more similar pricing.

So one looks at contract SIMs and I use a Voda data SIM for about 9 a
month. This has something like 1GB allowance and works everywhere I
have been. Voda have a good network and lots of roaming agreements.

That seems a little expensive for what you get. Though Vodafone is the
only network that some of my friends can get a signal from.

My EE phone contract deal is 5.5GB for 5 (plus free texts and 200
minutes). Three is on the other phone which is 11 for 4GB/month and
unlimited mins. One or other usually has signal even in North Yorkshire.
Three contract has the advantage of overseas "feel at home".

These days I only use PAYG SIMs for Mifi broadband when all my other
options for tethering data have run out - which is very rare.

However all this is getting sidelines by the large data allowances on
phone SIMs. I am on Voda on my phone and get 5GB/month for about 17.
So I just use the phone as a hotspot for the laptop.

I have a feeling they are a bit awkward about tethering PAYG SIMs (or
rather they used to be - laws about data only SIMs have changed).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 16th 19, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:37:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:

[...]

It doesn't seem to me to need a consideration of anything special like
"consumer rights", just a fundamental understanding of basic honesty.
It ought to be understood that if you offer something in exchange for
money it should be safe to assume that you will provide it. This
should apply to any transaction, but is particularly important in the
case of something that a person might keep for an emergency.

We need some laws that overrule any individual "terms and conditions"
that somebody might write in the hope of escape from an obligation.
The principle of this is already understood elsewhere; you could not,
for example, write a legal contract that said you could kill a
customer who failed to pay up (not yet in the UK at any rate) because
this is already forbidden by the law of the land. If it works in that
instance it could work just the same for any contract. It just needs
a legal recognition that a promise is a promise and you can't get out
of it by means of weasel words.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old April 16th 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/04/2019 19:12, Peter wrote:

The problem is that nearly all PAYG SIMs nowadays get killed after 90
days of non use. This is a problem with a laptop in which you use that
feature only rarely. I have been doing this for years (travelling
quite a lot) and it has proved to be a PITA.

[snip]

I see the Dartford Crossing is now applying a similar timeout to their
accounts. From:

https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Content/PDF/Dart_Charge_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

"9. Inactive Accounts
If you do not use your Account for a period of more than 12 consecutive
months then we will write to you to inform you of your non-use (the
Non-use Letter) and if you do not recommence using the Account within 90
days of the date of the Non-use Letter, we may close your Account and
cancel any Tag linked to your Account".

So for an occasional user like myself the PAYG arrangement of a toll
booth was a much better option. I'm happy to use an account and leave
it in credit. But the convenience of this is negated by the apparent
need to schedule an annual trip via the Dartford crossing.

--
Graham J
Old April 16th 19, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 16/04/2019 11:37, Graham J wrote:

So for an occasional user like myself the PAYG arrangement of a toll
booth was a much better option.* I'm happy to use an account and leave
it in credit.* But the convenience of this is negated by the apparent
need to schedule an annual trip via the Dartford crossing.

Cancelling an account for non-use is all very well, but they should
refund any unused credit, not just keep it. That is tantamount to
stealing in my book.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 16th 19, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/04/2019 11:37, Graham J wrote:

So for an occasional user like myself the PAYG arrangement of a toll
booth was a much better option.* I'm happy to use an account and leave
it in credit.* But the convenience of this is negated by the apparent
need to schedule an annual trip via the Dartford crossing.

Cancelling an account for non-use is all very well, but they should
refund any unused credit, not just keep it. That is tantamount to
stealing in my book.

Playing Devil's advocate, I guess ISPs would say that it was your choice
not to use it, but importantly you had the CAPACITY to use it (until it was
cancelled). Providing that capacity costs ISPs money. It's analogous to
paying line rental on a land line.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 16th 19, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]