Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

Old April 2nd 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Mobile broadband question (and oddity)

Hi all,

I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am
pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card.

I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine
has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have
an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it,
which at 1p/MB would last me at least a year or so.

Can I simply use this..? I've tested it and it works, but are Three
going to realise the SIM isn't in a phone any more and block it..? If
so, given my VERY limited use of it, what's the best thing to go for..?

My other query concerns the card itself. For some reason, the BIOS of
the machine (it's a Dell Latitude E6430) doesn't seem to think there is
a card installed at all, but yet it's working, which seems very strange
to me. I'm not clued up enough about computer hardware/firmware or
whatever it is to know.

It's not really a problem, as the card is there and it works, but I'm
just curious.

Thanks in advance,

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 2nd 19, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 02/04/2019 15:28, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Hi all,

I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am
pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card.

I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine
has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have
an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it,
which at 1p/MB would last me at least a year or so.

Can I simply use this..? I've tested it and it works, but are Three
going to realise the SIM isn't in a phone any more and block it..? If
so, given my VERY limited use of it, what's the best thing to go for..?

Probably a free 200MB/month deal from Three then.
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

It is possible that registering your existing one will give it the right
properties but you may as well get a new free one for when it runs out.

My other query concerns the card itself. For some reason, the BIOS of
the machine (it's a Dell Latitude E6430) doesn't seem to think there is
a card installed at all, but yet it's working, which seems very strange
to me. I'm not clued up enough about computer hardware/firmware or
whatever it is to know.

It's not really a problem, as the card is there and it works, but I'm
just curious.

No idea why the Dell doesn't see it as present but still works.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 2nd 19, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 02/04/2019 15:36, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I've ordered one of the free SIM cards, so will use the one I
have until it gets here.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 2nd 19, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Hi all,

I've just bought a new (ok, second hand) laptop from eBay which I am
pleasantly surprised to find contains a mobile broadband card.

I have no plans to make extensive use of it, but given that the machine
has it fitted, my question is, what is the best SIM card to use. I have
an old, unused Three PAYG SIM which still has a few quid left on it,
which at 1p/MB would last me at least a year or so.

I doubt it'll last that long. Don't forget that many apps, plus windows
itself, like to update themselves willy nilly. PCs are not as well behaved
as mobile apps.

Can I simply use this..? I've tested it and it works, but are Three
going to realise the SIM isn't in a phone any more and block it..? If
so, given my VERY limited use of it, what's the best thing to go for..?

Yes, just use it. The rules have changed so all Sims now can be used for
tethering or in mobile broadband devices. So you're good to go.

My other query concerns the card itself. For some reason, the BIOS of
the machine (it's a Dell Latitude E6430) doesn't seem to think there is
a card installed at all, but yet it's working, which seems very strange
to me. I'm not clued up enough about computer hardware/firmware or
whatever it is to know.

It's not really a problem, as the card is there and it works, but I'm
just curious.

It probably only works in software with the appropriate drivers. Lots of
hardware works without needing support in the BIOS. I wouldn't worry.

Old April 3rd 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 16:18:56 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

I have a couple of these SIMs - one in a 3G dongle, the other in a 4G MiFi.
My only gripe is that the "Data Usage" counter on the my3 website lags
badly behind actual usage. I've waited for half an hour and it still hasn't
registered the data I know I've used.
Ah, not the only gripe - the 3 Android app is useless if your SIM isn't in
an actual mobile phone.
Old April 3rd 19, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Wed 03/04/2019 17:44, Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

I'd go with that. I put a 1GB preloaded 3 SIM in my mi-fi last week to
use for mails and just a little surfing. The mi-fi tells me I have
downloaded about 750K and uploaded about 440K (how I know not) in a
week, but the mi-fi is showing a message waiting.

When I collect it 3 is telling me that my data allowance is getting low
and needs to be topped up. How did they work that out I wonder?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 3rd 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Martin Brown wrote:

Probably a free 200MB/month deal from Three then.
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I use one of those for my backup connectivity (used to have one of the
non-expiring vodafone 1GB dongles till they cancelled them) 200MB is
enough to test it every now and then for free, and if I ever need to use
it anger I can just buy a top-up for it.
Old April 3rd 19, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 03/04/2019 18:59, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Probably a free 200MB/month deal from Three then.
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I use one of those for my backup connectivity (used to have one of the
non-expiring vodafone 1GB dongles till they cancelled them) 200MB is
enough to test it every now and then for free, and if I ever need to use
it anger I can just buy a top-up for it.

I had one of those Voda dongles as well, but I lost the damn thing. I
don't anticipate using the SIM often, as I'm rarely away from my home
connection, but if I am I am very reluctant to use public wifi. As the
new laptop has the capability I thought I'd just stick a SIM in it and
forget it, which is why I don't want something that is going to insist
on topping up every month.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 4th 19, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 03/04/2019 18:19, Woody wrote:
[...]

There should be a local data usage indicator somewhere on your device.

Ah, not the only gripe - the 3 Android app is useless if your SIM
isn't in
an actual mobile phone.

I'd go with that. I put a 1GB preloaded 3 SIM in my mi-fi last week to
use for mails and just a little surfing. The mi-fi tells me I have
downloaded about 750K and uploaded about 440K (how I know not) in a
week, but the mi-fi is showing a message waiting.

When I collect it 3 is telling me that my data allowance is getting low
and needs to be topped up. How did they work that out I wonder?

I think it reminds you to top up from the moment you start using them.

They time out 30 days from first use unless you have one of the larger
ones 3GB/90days 12GB/1 year. I tend to go for the latter but only buy
them when they are on a discounted deal. I have an EE one too.

EE often gave better price/GB but didn't always give me a signal where I
needed to use it. Most times now I can get away with tethering my mobile
phone(s) which have 5.5GB & 6GB monthly allocations. That wasn't the
case in the past back when mobile data was more expensive 0.5GB & 2GB.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 4th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

Probably a free 200MB/month deal from Three then.
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I use one of those for my backup connectivity (used to have one of the
non-expiring vodafone 1GB dongles till they cancelled them) 200MB is
enough to test it every now and then for free, and if I ever need to use
it anger I can just buy a top-up for it.

I have recommended it to several of the residual ex-Demon dialup
customers who were still using dialup until the demise of the POPs.

Only snag is you do need a mobile signal for it to work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown