FTTP - delay between poles being provisioned and service offered?

Old April 6th 19, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

Default FTTP - delay between poles being provisioned and service offered?

In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can see
telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination blocks
at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead fibre to be
strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung).

One location had a massive burst of activity for several months clearing
out the underground ducting to run the fibre back to the exchange as well
as running fibre up the poles. All is now quiet.

OpenReach can't/won't give any information apart from "If it isn't on the
availability checker we can't say when it will be available.".

Does anyone have a feel for how long the delay is between provisioning to
the top of the local poles and FTTP being available for provisioning?

Although I am receiving good service from VM at the moment I am tempted by
the much higher upstream speeds offered by fibre.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Old April 6th 19, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 06/04/2019 10:36, David wrote:
In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can see
telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination blocks
at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead fibre to be
strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung).

One location had a massive burst of activity for several months clearing
out the underground ducting to run the fibre back to the exchange as well
as running fibre up the poles. All is now quiet.

OpenReach can't/won't give any information apart from "If it isn't on the
availability checker we can't say when it will be available.".

Similar story here ... Shiney new FTTC cabinet installed, no-one
connected to it.
Old April 6th 19, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 4/6/2019 1:59 PM, Java Jive wrote:
On 06/04/2019 10:36, David wrote:
In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can
see
telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination blocks
at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead fibre to be
strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung).

One location had a massive burst of activity for several months clearing
out the underground ducting to run the fibre back to the exchange as well
as running fibre up the poles. All is now quiet.

OpenReach can't/won't give any information apart from "If it isn't on the
availability checker we can't say when it will be available.".

Similar story here ... Shiney new FTTC cabinet installed, no-one
connected to it.

And here (about 40 miles north of you).

Old April 8th 19, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 17:17:20 +0100, S Viemeister wrote:

On 4/6/2019 1:59 PM, Java Jive wrote:
On 06/04/2019 10:36, David wrote:
In two widely separate locations (opposite sides of the country) I can
see telephone poles with fibre run up to the top and black termination
blocks at the top just waiting (as far as I can tell) for overhead
fibre to be strung to the houses (as the current copper is strung).

One location had a massive burst of activity for several months
clearing out the underground ducting to run the fibre back to the
exchange as well as running fibre up the poles. All is now quiet.

OpenReach can't/won't give any information apart from "If it isn't on
the availability checker we can't say when it will be available.".

Similar story here ... Shiney new FTTC cabinet installed, no-one
connected to it.

And here (about 40 miles north of you).

Grand switching on ceremony like the Blackpool Illuminations?

Perhaps there is some strategic timing related to grants and/or targets or
regulations which means that there is a preferential date for providing
FTTP.

Or perhaps there is a soggy bit in the provisioning process.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1