Fibre to pole - what does it mean?

Old April 12th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default Fibre to pole - what does it mean?

On 12/04/2019 14:45, David wrote:
Not what I am seeing. The link shows something that is an alternative to
FTTP.
I think I am seeing true FTTP with plug in connectors, 8 to a block, at
the top of the pole.

Our FTTP has a junction box on a pole at intervals. The junction box is
about as fat as the pole, 3ft high, and pointed at the top. It is at a
convenient working height. The drop fibre to the house is welded to the
main fibre inside the box.

Andy
Old April 12th 19, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 14:10:01 UTC+1, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , I wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

I see my exchange is on this list:

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...rward-look.pdf

So I guess its for FTTP.

-- Richard

I missed a trick here. BT deveised FTTC in the UK to mean Fibre To The Cabinet, whereas in the US it means Fibre To The Curb (Kerb in British English).

The use of FTTP to mean Fibre To The Pole rather than the already generally understood Fibre To The Premises is a similar use of smoke and mirrors to pass off an inferior product for more money.
Old April 13th 19, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

In article , I wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

I see my exchange is on this list:

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...rward-look.pdf

So I guess its for FTTP.

-- Richard

I missed a trick here. BT deveised FTTC in the UK to mean Fibre To The Cabinet, whereas in the US it means Fibre To The Curb (Kerb in British English).

The use of FTTP to mean Fibre To The Pole rather than the already generally understood Fibre To The Premises is a similar use of smoke and mirrors to pass off an inferior product for more money.

What's this with "British English" ???

Surely you mean "English" as apposed to "American" !!!!!!

--
Graham J
Old April 13th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

In article , I wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

I see my exchange is on this list:

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...rward-look.pdf

So I guess its for FTTP.

-- Richard

I missed a trick here. BT deveised FTTC in the UK to mean Fibre To The Cabinet, whereas in the US it means Fibre To The Curb (Kerb in British English).

The use of FTTP to mean Fibre To The Pole rather than the already generally understood Fibre To The Premises is a similar use of smoke and mirrors to pass off an inferior product for more money.

What's this with "British English" ???

Surely you mean "English" as apposed to "American" !!!!!!

--
Graham J

No because for some centuries most people in Scotland have spoken English rather than Scots, although some still do and in NI.

Other former colonies often have their own versions too.
Old April 14th 19, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 13/04/2019 15:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 13 April 2019 07:51:42 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:

What's this with "British English" ???

Surely you mean "English" as apposed to "American" !!!!!!

--
Graham J

No because for some centuries most people in Scotland have spoken English rather than Scots, although some still do and in NI.

Other former colonies often have their own versions too.

English is the language of the English people, who live in England.

Scots is a dialect with varying differences from English. Often less
different than American.

You may of course mean Gaelic...

My English slips from time to time from too much contact with the
Merkins. I've worked for California based companies for about 15 years.

Andy
Old April 14th 19, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 21:18:33 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/04/2019 15:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 13 April 2019 07:51:42 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:

What's this with "British English" ???

Surely you mean "English" as apposed to "American" !!!!!!

--
Graham J

No because for some centuries most people in Scotland have spoken English rather than Scots, although some still do and in NI.

Other former colonies often have their own versions too.

English is the language of the English people, who live in England.

Scots is a dialect with varying differences from English. Often less
different than American.

You may of course mean Gaelic...

Naw - I ken wit am talking aboot.

I mean Scots. It is similar to English and spoken with a Scottish dialect. It is NOT Gaelic.

James VI of Scotland (I of England) spoke it and tried to stamp out Gaelic (or Erse as he called it).

My English slips from time to time from too much contact with the
Merkins. I've worked for California based companies for about 15 years.

Andy

This started happening to me when I was seconded to New York for just three weeks!
Old April 14th 19, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/04/2019 21:28, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 14 April 2019 21:18:33 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

My English slips from time to time from too much contact with the
Merkins. I've worked for California based companies for about 15 years.

Andy

This started happening to me when I was seconded to New York for just three weeks!

My other half has only got to be in the same room as someone from say
Yorkshire and she's talking with a weird accent (which may or may not be
Yorkshire..!) for days..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 15th 19, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 23:42:18 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/04/2019 21:28, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 14 April 2019 21:18:33 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

My English slips from time to time from too much contact with the
Merkins. I've worked for California based companies for about 15 years.

Andy

This started happening to me when I was seconded to New York for just three weeks!

My other half has only got to be in the same room as someone from say
Yorkshire and she's talking with a weird accent (which may or may not be
Yorkshire..!) for days..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Start worrying if she comes home late speaking with an Italian accent...
Old April 15th 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 14/04/2019 23:42, MissRiaElaine wrote:
My other half has only got to be in the same room as someone from say
Yorkshire and she's talking with a weird accent (which may or may not be
Yorkshire..!) for days..!

I was a student in York. Only three years mumble years ago.

I still refer to the Gates in York in a way that does not rhyme even
vaguely with the gate on my garden...

Andy