Zen IPv6

Old April 16th 19, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Default Zen IPv6

I asked Zen whether they supported IPv6:

"All our IP addresses are static.

We can offer you up to 16 static IP addresses and then we would need you to
complete a requisition form if you wish to have any more than this.

We can provide IPV6 on request, again anything over 16 would need a written
request."

Is this really true, that they only give out 16 IPv6 addresses (ie a /124)?
I was expecting a /64 at the very least.

Theo
Old April 16th 19, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N_i_c_k

On 2019-04-16, Theo wrote:
We can provide IPV6 on request, again anything over 16 would need a written
request."

Is this really true, that they only give out 16 IPv6 addresses (ie a /124)?
I was expecting a /64 at the very least.

The written request part is true, yes, in that
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-provide-IPV6-support
advises you to request ipv6 support by sending an email to Zen. When
I did so in March '18 I got a /48. G'luck.
--
N_i_c_k
Old April 16th 19, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

N_i_c_k wrote:
The written request part is true, yes, in that
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-provide-IPV6-support
advises you to request ipv6 support by sending an email to Zen. When
I did so in March '18 I got a /48. G'luck.

Thanks, that seems a little more sane.

Theo
Old April 27th 19, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 16/04/2019 22:05, Theo wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:
The written request part is true, yes, in that
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-provide-IPV6-support
advises you to request ipv6 support by sending an email to Zen. When
I did so in March '18 I got a /48. G'luck.

Thanks, that seems a little more sane.

Theo

A /60 or /56 would be plenty. /48 seems excessive.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 28th 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

The written request part is true, yes, in that
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-provide-IPV6-support
advises you to request ipv6 support by sending an email to Zen. When
I did so in March '18 I got a /48. G'luck.

Thanks, that seems a little more sane.

A /60 or /56 would be plenty. /48 seems excessive.

I applied for an IPv6 address from Zen - which it turn out I was
unable to use, because my Apple router does not support IPv6
with FTTC (PPPoE) - and they specified two addresses:

ND Prefix: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:x::/64
Delegated Prefix: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/48

I don't know what the difference between them is.

-- Richard
Old April 28th 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 28/04/2019 14:41, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

The written request part is true, yes, in that
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-provide-IPV6-support
advises you to request ipv6 support by sending an email to Zen. When
I did so in March '18 I got a /48. G'luck.

Thanks, that seems a little more sane.

A /60 or /56 would be plenty. /48 seems excessive.

I applied for an IPv6 address from Zen - which it turn out I was
unable to use, because my Apple router does not support IPv6
with FTTC (PPPoE) - and they specified two addresses:

ND Prefix: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:x::/64
Delegated Prefix: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/48

I don't know what the difference between them is.

-- Richard

Two different ways your equipment can find out what IPv6 subnet you've
been allocated.

a) Neighbour Discovery (ND) in which case you will only "find" a /64.
b) Prefix Delegation, you are given a /48 and can allocate any of the
/64 within it to your network(s).

Though I think that you'll probably really be getting the whole /48
either way, just that if you use ND you can't in general assume you have
more than a /64.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 28th 19, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 28/04/2019 14:41, Richard Tobin wrote:
I applied for an IPv6 address from Zen - which it turn out I was
unable to use, because my Apple router does not support IPv6
with FTTC (PPPoE)

If the router supports it you will need to specify that it gets it's
IPv6 by Prefix delegation with a prefix length of 48. It definitely can
work with PPPoE.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 28th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

I applied for an IPv6 address from Zen - which it turn out I was
unable to use, because my Apple router does not support IPv6
with FTTC (PPPoE)

If the router supports it you will need to specify that it gets it's
IPv6 by Prefix delegation with a prefix length of 48. It definitely can
work with PPPoE.

According to the interwebs, the Apple router

does not support the PPP 'IPV6CP' (IPv6 Configuration Protocol), so
it can't negotiate native IPv6 over PPPoE

-- Richard