Router port forwarding for VoIP

Old April 18th 19, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Router port forwarding for VoIP

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse. One suggestion I have seen is to set up port forwarding for it.

I am using a TP-Link Archer D2 router and port forwarding comes under
the banner of Virtual Server.

I have no problem with setting up the VS except for one thing: what do I
enter under 'Service Type' for VoIP? It isn't Telnet or HTTP or any of
the other items in the pop-up list, so what do I enter there, or is this
just an aide memoire?

Anyone help?

(Copied to uk.t.broadband)

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 19th 19, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 22:33:03 +0100, Woody wrote:

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse.

They are notorious for having PSU problems. Might be worth rigging up
some monitoring or a spare one.
Old April 19th 19, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 19/04/2019 00:23, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 22:33:03 +0100, Woody wrote:

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse.

They are notorious for having PSU problems. Might be worth rigging up
some monitoring or a spare one.

Ah, well given that it is probably well over 10 years old that may be a
good idea - and I've got quite a few 5V wall-warts, just a case of
finding one with the right plug! I think I've also got a new PAP2T
somewhere that might be an option.

Old April 19th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/04/2019 07:44, Woody wrote:
On Fri 19/04/2019 00:23, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 22:33:03 +0100, Woody wrote:

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse.

They are notorious for having PSU problems. Might be worth rigging up
some monitoring or a spare one.

Ah, well given that it is probably well over 10 years old that may be a
good idea - and I've got quite a few 5V wall-warts, just a case of
finding one with the right plug! I think I've also got a new PAP2T
somewhere that might be an option.

I had a similar problem with a PAP2, I now use a Samsung USB supply from
an old phone I no longer have, and it has been faultless.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 19th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 19/04/2019 12:30, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/2019 07:44, Woody wrote:
On Fri 19/04/2019 00:23, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 22:33:03 +0100, Woody wrote:

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse.

They are notorious for having PSU problems. Might be worth rigging up
some monitoring or a spare one.

Ah, well given that it is probably well over 10 years old that may be
a good idea - and I've got quite a few 5V wall-warts, just a case of
finding one with the right plug! I think I've also got a new PAP2T
somewhere that might be an option.

I had a similar problem with a PAP2, I now use a Samsung USB supply from
an old phone I no longer have, and it has been faultless.

Well it has been running on a PAPT2 supply now for about 5 hours and it
hasn't dropped out yet so I think Bob E might just be right.

As I need the PAPT2 power supply for something else, I'll have to go
digging in my bits box!

Oh, and I think its really about 16 years old having done the sums!

Thanks all.

Old April 19th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse. One suggestion I have seen is to set up port forwarding for it.

I am using a TP-Link Archer D2 router and port forwarding comes under
the banner of Virtual Server.

I have no problem with setting up the VS except for one thing: what do I
enter under 'Service Type' for VoIP? It isn't Telnet or HTTP or any of
the other items in the pop-up list, so what do I enter there, or is this
just an aide memoire?

Anyone help?

(Copied to uk.t.broadband)

No I don't think so.

Port forwarding is useful for incoming connections on the WAN side to
make connection to a machine on your LAN and you might need to forwaed
your SIP control and media ports, but you have an issue with a LAN-LAN
connection and I can't see how port forwarding will help.

Does the SPA2000 have a static address on your LAN or does it use the
router's DHCP?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old April 19th 19, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 19/04/2019 13:51, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Thanks Graham but it now seems to be resolved. Seems the SPA series are
notorious for problems with the PSU. I have had a PAPT2 PSU running it
now for 7 hours and it hasn't hiccuped once.

For the record all of my network has static IP addresses by reservation
within the router. DHCP still runs however for visitors.

Old April 19th 19, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

Come to think of it, I have a spare PAP2 that loses it's LAN
connection intermittently (The corresponding LED on my switch goes
out) I know it's not the separate PSU because I have tried several, I
wonder if it's repairable?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old April 19th 19, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
David Higton

In message
Woody wrote:

I have a Sipura SPA2000 for use on Sipgate. It has developed a habit of
losing its network connection requiring a power cycle to get it to
reconnect. This is not new but the frequency of it happening is getting
worse.

I know you've already confirmed that the PSU is the source of the
problems, but I think it's worth pointing out that the PSU is, in
general, the most highly stressed part of pretty much any electronic
system. As such it's the one most likely to fail. Sometimes the
failure mode is not simply "it's dead".

Over the years I've seen several PSUs fail in that they could no
longer provide the full rated current output.

One failure mode is the current sense resistor's resistance going
up with age (note, this includes the resistance of the soldered
joints at both ends!). This resistor is necessary to sense over-
current or short circuit and thus protect the PSU.

A PSU needs to be tested under a realistic load.

David