What speed should I expect from Plusnet

Old May 15th 19, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet - Update

On Wed, 15 May 2019 07:10:00 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Open Office and Libre Office OTOH are free for everyone.

On an iPad?

Other computing devices are available.

Most of them are cheaper too.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 15th 19, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

Open Office and Libre Office OTOH are free for everyone.

On an iPad?

Not yet ...

https://adfinis-sygroup.ch/en/blog/libreoffice-on-ios-some-insights
Old May 15th 19, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

wrote:

Open Office and Libre Office OTOH are free for everyone.

On an iPad?

Other computing devices are available.

Most of them are cheaper too.

I almost choked to death when I saw the price of an iPad Pro

:-)

tim

Old May 15th 19, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

wrote:

Open Office and Libre Office OTOH are free for everyone.

On an iPad?

Other computing devices are available.

Most of them are cheaper too.

I almost choked to death when I saw the price of an iPad Pro

:-)

As far as I am concerned, iPads have two problems:

- the extortionate price
- they are not Windows

But the second could well apply in reverse to any dyed-in-the-wool Apple
fanatics talking about Windows computers ;-)

I seem to have a mental block to Apple's UI. I can manage Windows, Android
and Linux (*) (Ubuntu/Raspbian) but Apple's UI never seems as intuitive and
as automatic; I always have to stop and think it through and think "where
have Apple put the menu for configuring X?".

(*) Apart from one silly difference: in Windows when a dialogue box has Yes
and No buttons, the Yes is on the left; in Linux, it's on the right ;-) (or
maybe it's the other way round - I CBA to check)

Old May 15th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:

[snip]

I seem to have a mental block to Apple's UI. I can manage Windows,
Android and Linux (*) (Ubuntu/Raspbian) but Apple's UI never seems as
intuitive and as automatic; I always have to stop and think it through
and think "where have Apple put the menu for configuring X?".

I too struggle with the Apple UI. The Apple help system never seems to
have the answer to the question I ask, but googling often finds other
people with similar difficulties and I usually solve the problem that way.

An example is using icons where words would be more useful. An icon
requires the user to learn its meaning because very few are self-evident
or intuitive, whereas words are part of one's native language and
generally pretty informative. Having said that, I've seen users totally
fail to proceed when faced with a Microsoft error message yet the words
in the message explain exactly the nature of the problem and how to
resolve it. When they ask "What do I do now?" I read them the error
message off the screen, very slowly!

A significant Apple issue is that there is often no debugging tool to
help me find out the cause of the problem. For example, I have iTunes
on a PC configured to sync to an iPad, via WiFi. With each update to
either iTunes or iOS on the iPad the sync via WiFi has become less and
less reliable; so now I don't bother with WiFi and sync via USB.
There's no useful diagnostic - iTunes simply does not show the iPad, yet
the iPad can see the LAN and the internet via the router. I've asked
here, and nobody has a solution, although most admit it doesn't work for
them either.

--
Graham J
Old May 16th 19, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I keep a foot in each camp: Windows PC, iPad tablet and Android phone. And,
yes, I know, that's three feet.

Old May 16th 19, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Recliner" wrote in message
I seem to have a mental block to Apple's UI. I can manage Windows,
Android
and Linux (*) (Ubuntu/Raspbian) but Apple's UI never seems as intuitive
and
as automatic; I always have to stop and think it through and think "where
have Apple put the menu for configuring X?".

I keep a foot in each camp: Windows PC, iPad tablet and Android phone.
And,
yes, I know, that's three feet.

The thing that I always have to stop and think about is how to set up a new
email account on the default email application on iPads and desktop Macs. I
forget the precise details, but the setting up on an email account (or
changing an existing one) is not done from within the application but from a
separate applet in the Apple equivalent of Control Panel. Fine, once you
know! I seem to remember having some problems with the fields for accessing
mail servers - I think it was to do with authentication of logon.

It's a shame that all email programs (on whatever OS) don't use standard
terms for all the parameters that you have to set. It's also a shame that
there isn't a consistent file format for definition of an email account.
Outlook Express / Windows Mail / Windows Live Mail have always used a .iaf
file for each account, but even Outlook on the same OS (Windows) doesn't use
it, and Thunderbird and the Apple email client don't use it.

When you are migrating from one PC to another, it's so useful if you can
export the account settings on the old PC to a file from which you can
import on the new PC, without having to copy the server addresses, ports,
authentication type, username and password manually. Password is
particularly an issue, as it's invisible on the old PC so there's nothing to
copy if someone has lost their own record of it. Before now I've resorted to
running Wireshark to capture the POP traffic, looking for the password - but
that assumes plain-text authentication ;-)

Old May 16th 19, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

wrote:

Open Office and Libre Office OTOH are free for everyone.

On an iPad?

Other computing devices are available.

Most of them are cheaper too.

I almost choked to death when I saw the price of an iPad Pro

:-)

As far as I am concerned, iPads have two problems:

- the extortionate price
- they are not Windows

neither are Android Tabs.

ISTM that the deficiency with Tabs is the complete lack of a right mouse
button equivalent, which would be common to any OS running on this platform

Making a GUI fully functional when you just have short press, long press and
double press is very very difficult

tim

Old May 16th 19, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 15/05/2019 20:13, NY wrote:

As far as I am concerned, iPads have two problems:

- the extortionate price
- they are not Windows

If you ask me, *anything* is better than Windoze. At least Android is
Linux-based.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 16th 19, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"tim..." wrote in message
neither are Android Tabs.

ISTM that the deficiency with Tabs is the complete lack of a right mouse
button equivalent, which would be common to any OS running on this
platform

Making a GUI fully functional when you just have short press, long press
and double press is very very difficult

I sometimes use my Android phone to access my Windows or Raspbian computers
by Teamviewer or RealVNC, if I can't be bothered to go downstairs or I'm
away from home.

Teamviewer is a lot better in terms of right-mouse action, because it uses a
long press on Android. RealVNC requires a two-finger tap to achieve it,
which is much harder to do reliably: if one finger hits the screen before
the other, or the fingers are spaced too far (or too close) it gets
registered as a left click.

The big problem with Teamviewer is that it is forever mis-classifying my
usage as commercial, and flashing warnings that I will be cut off after 5
minutes or else not allowing me to connect at all. I keep filling in
declarations, they keep resetting things - and then a few months later it
happens again. That's why I've switched over to RealVNC as long as I don't
need file-transfer.

Dragging a scroll bar is something that I've no found an equivalent for on
Android and Teamviewer/VNC; you have to repeatedly click on the up or down
arrow at the end of the scroll bar.