What speed should I expect from Plusnet

Old May 7th 19, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

On 06/05/2019 23:43, Recliner wrote:

Have you tried
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Wweellll! ... That used to be my opinion, and it does seem to working
now and agrees with the two others I've posted, so I guess they finally
fixed it at last, but a month or two ago, tests never completed, and for
a while before that it was giving silly results. Perhaps we can rely on
it again now, but I'd be inclined to check it against the other two I've
posted for at least a while.

It's supposed to be the most reliable test for a BT Openreach line, which I
think PlusNet uses.

Yes, it did, but it started to give problems some while back.

The obvious thing for you to do, as others have suggested, is to upgrade to
FTTC. I don't think it costs anything, and the monthly charge is much the
same. Depending on how far you are from the cabinet, your speeds shoot up.

Yes, if he can get it at all, probably by shopping around he can get it
for much the same price. No question of that where I live though.
Old May 7th 19, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Recliner wrote:

[snip]
Incidentally, I thought all Openreach lines had similar performance,
regardless of ISP.

Line length is the limiting factor. For two lines of the same length
electrical noise and other factors may make a significant difference in
performance. So no, all Openreach lines do not necessarily have similar
performance.

The performance is measured by sync speed. This parameter is shown in
your router.

However the speed measured by downloading a test file - which is what
all the speedtest measurement websites will do - can vary dramatically
from one ISP to another. Clearly the maximum download speed cannot be
any more than the sync speed; but the actual download speed will depend
on congestion on the ISP's network. So at times of day when many users
are on-line download speeds can be much lower than at off-peak times.

Some ISPs will provide more capacity to accommodate greater customer
demand, so choice of ISP becomes important.

--
Graham J
Old May 7th 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

The test to use is dslchecker.bt.com

This will show what you would expect to get on ADSL and on FTTC, the
latter usually starting from the cab at about 76Mb.

The ADSL figure will show what you could get and what they expect you to
get, the first figure being determined by where you are connected in the
exchange. A farmer friend in Somerset has four lines: two are rated to
get 2Mb max and both give around 1.8Mb, the third is rated 3Mb and gets
about 2.5Mb, and the fourth is rated 6Mb and gets 5.6Mb. Now how you can
have three different speed ratings on four lines that run from the same
exchange in the same cable* can only be down to different connections in
the exchange - which incidently is shown as 2908m away it says.
*Confirmed no differential routing - not possible with the exchange
cabling structure.

Above right of the box that dslchecker shows will be the number of the
cabinet that serves your premises and the serving exchange. Now go to
www.magsys.co.uk and select CodeLook at the upper left. Enter your
number and when the result shows click on the exchange name. On the next
box will be an option to show all fibre cabinets - click it. Move your
mouse onto the lollipops until you find your cab number and you will get
an idea of how far it is from your place. Note I say how far as that is
not always accurate as when Angus built the site he was only given
postcodes (I think.) For example my cab should be about 200yds down the
road, but in fact it is about 250yds, round a corner and perhaps another
150yds from there. If you go walkabout you will find the cab as it will
have the number painted on the outside.

For other readers these tests only work on lines associated with BT. If
your ISP is Sky or TT or similar for example the system will deny any
knowledge of your number.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 7th 19, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Recliner wrote:

I thought all Openreach lines had similar performance,
regardless of ISP.

Insofar as a different ISP on the same line will have the same speed,
unless they use LLU and their own equipment
Old May 7th 19, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

The test to use is dslchecker.bt.com
This will show what you would expect to get on ADSL and on FTTC

The observed speeds data is new since last time I used that ...

VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 79.77
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 20
Observed Date 2019-04-30
Old May 7th 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:
I had a look at who else in my block/road has PN and I can only see one
other

Can you get FTTC at your address?

Tis not clear

the checker says, inside the box:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC FTTP Availability Date
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available

at the bottom of the box:

FTTP is not available.

BTW it predicts 7.5Mbps ADSL speed.

That would give you an enormous improvement at 1 mile form the exchange -
except they may not have enabled it with you so close.

Is that really a determining factor

the increased speed is so large even (some) people who get good ADSL speed
will want it

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

What internal telephone wiring do you have?

None

I don't like wires pinned to the woodwork, so I took it all out and replaced
it with a single wireless router (+ cordless phone) right by the incoming
connection

Any extensions? Unplug them all, put the router straight on the master
socket, and give it a while. If it improves there may be things you can do
yourself.

Ask your neighbours what speed they are getting. They'll all be using
Openreach wires, even if they aren't on Plusnet.

A bunch of Geriatrics. I'm now the "expert" in the block (their
designation, not mine). Many of them wont even understand the question

tim

Old May 7th 19, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"NY" wrote:

"tim..." wrote:

I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less,

well yes

But I don't think that 2Mbps is within an acceptable margin of error, do
you?

regardless of what the advert says, OFCOM says that ISPs must now give you
a guaranteed minimum speed, what did plusnet say when you signed-up?

I don't recall that they did (beyond the "up to 10" in the ad)

but my personal account pages currently say 5-7

Old May 7th 19, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Graham J" wrote in message
Recliner wrote:

[...]

Yep

I understood all of this (without actually knowing the numbers I should
expect)

and I had assumed that (given my distance from the exchange) the poor PN
performance yesterday was due to my sharing the ISP uplink with more than an
average number of people, because PN hadn't provisioned enough for this
exchange. (and complaining might prompt them to look at this)

I'm getting better speeds this morning because much of the "domestic"
competition for that bandwidth is now at work

But that isn't going to help me evenings/weekends

now that you (all) have given me some more speed checkers to use I'll try
again this evening and see what happens

thanks everybody

tim

Old May 7th 19, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Graham J" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2019 22:19:13 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow. So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

And remember that even that isn't a perfect test. This house is the
middle of a terrace of three. The outer two are connected to a cabinet
just down the road. Ours is 1.3km away. Speeds are very different!

Look at the statistics in the router. If you don't know how to do this,
ask here.

I'd like to know how to do this

all I can get out of my router is a load of config values

(and a list of connected devices - my laptop and one other which I presume
is my TV - turns TV off - goes away - good)

tim

Old May 7th 19, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

Graham J wrote:

Look at the statistics in the router.