A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

What speed should I expect from Plusnet



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 7th 19, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

tim... wrote:


"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
...
On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:
I had a look at who else in my block/road has PN and I can only see one
other


Can you get FTTC at your address?


Tis not clear


What does it say in the "WBC FTTC Availability Date" column?


  #22  
Old May 7th 19, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

On Tue, 7 May 2019 08:48:15 +0100, tim... wrote:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

What internal telephone wiring do you have?


None

I don't like wires pinned to the woodwork, so I took it all out and replaced
it with a single wireless router (+ cordless phone) right by the incoming
connection


Can you try a wired connection to your router, just for a speed test?
That will eliminate any possible problems with wireless.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
please send any emails to the address below
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com


  #23  
Old May 7th 19, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 181
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:


"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
...
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow.* (currently downloading a
700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)


I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less,


well yes

But I don't think that 2Mbps is within an acceptable margin of error, do
you?

depending on the length of your phone line to the exchange.


well the building that says Telephone Exchange on the outside is about a
mile away.


Put your number into this URL and note what it says :

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

It usually errs on the side of caution. That and Sam knows will tell you
what is available on your exchange. Some of the benchmark sites will
also show you what your neighbours are getting by way of speed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
  #24  
Old May 7th 19, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 492
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

"Graham J" wrote in message
...
The performance is measured by sync speed. This parameter is shown in
your router.

However the speed measured by downloading a test file - which is what all
the speedtest measurement websites will do - can vary dramatically from
one ISP to another. Clearly the maximum download speed cannot be any more
than the sync speed; but the actual download speed will depend on
congestion on the ISP's network. So at times of day when many users are
on-line download speeds can be much lower than at off-peak times.


I have found that the best Speedtest.net speed is about 3/4 of the router's
reported sync speed for download. Upload speeds are *considerably* lower
than the sync speed.

For example, my sync speeds are 2.4/0.4 (D/U) and the best speedtest.net
results I've had have been about 1.8/0.1. And that's despite BT OR checking
the line very thoroughly while they were fixing a problem that took out
voice completely for a few days, due to bad joints and water in an
underground sump.

  #25  
Old May 7th 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 557
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

On Mon, 6 May 2019 22:56:13 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

If the speedtest values are significantly lower than 85% of the sync
speed then change your ISP.


to Zen.

Rod.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

  #26  
Old May 7th 19, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 58
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

tim... wrote:


"Graham J" wrote in message
...
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2019 22:19:13 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow.* So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

And remember that even that isn't a perfect test. This house is the
middle of a terrace of three. The outer two are connected to a cabinet
just down the road. Ours is 1.3km away. Speeds are very different!


Look at the statistics in the router.* If you don't know how to do
this, ask here.


I'd like to know how to do this

all I can get out of my router is a load of config values

(and a list of connected devices - my laptop and one other which I
presume is my TV - turns TV off - goes away - good)


So you have to tell us the make and model of the router.

Always connect your PC to the router by Ethernet cable, that way you
will not be confused by the potential performance issues with WiFi.

On your PC open a command window (Google will tell you how) and type the
command:

ipconfig /all

In the section describing the Ethernet connection, note the value for
"Default Gateway". This is the IP address of your router.

Open a browser at that IP address. You will be prompted for a username
and password. The documentation provided by your ISP will give you these.

Look at all the different pages in the router. One of them will give
you DSL statistics ..


--
Graham J
  #27  
Old May 7th 19, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 58
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

NY wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
...
The performance is measured by sync speed.* This parameter is shown in
your router.

However the speed measured by downloading a test file - which is what
all the speedtest measurement websites will do - can vary dramatically
from one ISP to another.* Clearly the maximum download speed cannot be
any more than the sync speed; but the actual download speed will
depend on congestion on the ISP's network.* So at times of day when
many users are on-line download speeds can be much lower than at
off-peak times.


I have found that the best Speedtest.net speed is about 3/4 of the
router's reported sync speed for download. Upload speeds are
*considerably* lower than the sync speed.

For example, my sync speeds are 2.4/0.4 (D/U) and the best speedtest.net
results I've had have been about 1.8/0.1. And that's despite BT OR
checking the line very thoroughly while they were fixing a problem that
took out voice completely for a few days, due to bad joints and water in
an underground sump.


Throughput as measured by speed test websites will be about 85% of the
raw downstream sync speed because of the protocol overhead, see:

https://blog.ipspace.net/2009/03/adsl-overhead.html

Also, your line may be configured by your ISP with a BRAS profile, whch
may be significantly lower than the raw sync speed. The profile is
usually set lower in response to noise on the line which causes packets
to be retransmitted. This potentially causes congestion in the ISP's
equipment, so the data rate is reduced to allow for these
retransmissions. If your line was performing badly, and Openreach
attended to resolve a problem with their wiring your download speeds
might not increase immediately - it may take several days or weeks for
the Openreach Dynamic Line Management algorithm to adjust your profile
upwards.


--
Graham J
  #28  
Old May 7th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet



"Recliner" wrote in message
...
tim... wrote:


"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
...
On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:
I had a look at who else in my block/road has PN and I can only see one
other

Can you get FTTC at your address?


Tis not clear


What does it say in the "WBC FTTC Availability Date" column?


was that not in the bit you snipped?

it says "available"

but at the bottom of the chart it said "FTTC is unavailable"

which one takes precedence here?



  #29  
Old May 7th 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet



"Graham J" wrote in message
...
tim... wrote:


"Graham J" wrote in message
...
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2019 22:19:13 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile
away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow. So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

And remember that even that isn't a perfect test. This house is the
middle of a terrace of three. The outer two are connected to a cabinet
just down the road. Ours is 1.3km away. Speeds are very different!


Look at the statistics in the router. If you don't know how to do this,
ask here.


I'd like to know how to do this

all I can get out of my router is a load of config values

(and a list of connected devices - my laptop and one other which I
presume is my TV - turns TV off - goes away - good)


So you have to tell us the make and model of the router.


I did wonder :-)

It says: Sagemcon 2704N Plusnet


Always connect your PC to the router by Ethernet cable,


Oh, is that really necessary for the task in hand?

Are pages that aren't there on wifi going to exist on Ethernet?

that way you will not be confused by the potential performance issues with
WiFi.

On your PC open a command window (Google will tell you how)


I'm not that inexperienced.

and type the command:

ipconfig /all

In the section describing the Ethernet connection, note the value for
"Default Gateway". This is the IP address of your router.


I already know that (it's printed on the back of the router)

that's how I interrogate it now.

Open a browser at that IP address. You will be prompted for a username
and password. The documentation provided by your ISP will give you these.

Look at all the different pages in the router. One of them will give you
DSL statistics ..


Nope, can't see one

Just config settings. No usage statistics at all (other than number/list of
wifi connections)

tim




  #30  
Old May 7th 19, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet



"Martin Brown" wrote in message
...
On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:


"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
...
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a
700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less,


well yes

But I don't think that 2Mbps is within an acceptable margin of error, do
you?

depending on the length of your phone line to the exchange.


well the building that says Telephone Exchange on the outside is about a
mile away.


Put your number into this URL and note what it says :

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/


yes I found this from one of the PPs.

I am indeed connected to (a line in) that building




 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Speed Should I Expect Sean Black uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 19 March 3rd 11 07:16 PM
Should I expect faster speeds? Ron Mason uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 January 14th 08 11:18 PM
What speed can I expect as all checks differ? Ken uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 October 3rd 06 11:35 AM
What speed should I expect Roger uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 February 24th 05 04:41 PM
Plusnet - can I expect it to get better? tcm uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 17 November 16th 03 08:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.