Free text usenet services

Old May 18th 19, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default Free text usenet services

I currently use Plusnet as an ISP and they have their own Usenet (News)
server that clients such as Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird can access.

We may be changing to Sky who do not have a news server.

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an ISP
that does not have its own new server?

Old May 18th 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an
ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the occasional
downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's free, so I now
pay €10/year for individual.net
Old May 18th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 18/05/2019 16:27, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an
ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the occasional
downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's free, so I now
pay €10/year for individual.net

Ditto, but in the past I have found aioe.org to be pretty good.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 18th 19, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an
ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the occasional
downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's free, so I now
pay €10/year for individual.net

I'm with eternal September and the downtime is barely noticeable to me. I
guess it depends how often you check it.

Old May 19th 19, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson[_2_]

Chris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an
ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the occasional
downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's free, so I now
pay €10/year for individual.net

I'm with eternal September and the downtime is barely noticeable to me. I
guess it depends how often you check it.

It may well depend on the news client too - Andy uses Thunderbird, which
has always had a particular problem with ES and fails more than other
clients. I'd still go with Individual net though.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Kids in the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.
Old May 19th 19, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from
an ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the
occasional downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's
free, so I now pay €10/year for individual.net

Ditto, but in the past I have found aioe.org to be pretty good.

+1 for AIOE

I (still) but in practice used to have a one time fixed fee text only
Usenet account on Teranews. It worked well enough for a decade or so but
then became unreliable some time back (and their support isn't good).

AOIE is OK apart from the odd group which is blocked because of abuse.
(some of these blocked groups can be mystifying harmless hobby ones)

If your choice of hobby is unaffected then the server is quite reliable
- it sometimes times out at peak times in the USA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 19th 19, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Martin Brown wrote:

MissRiaElaine wrote:

I have found aioe.org to be pretty good.

+1 for AIOE

I thought it had some quite small message limits per day?

Old May 19th 19, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apd

"Andy Burns" wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have found aioe.org to be pretty good.

+1 for AIOE

I thought it had some quite small message limits per day?

https://news.aioe.org/

40, which is enough for anyone who isn't a damn nuisanmce (spammer or
troll).

Regarding blocked groups, the owner is very amenable to reopening
requests at aioe.news.helpdesk when abuse of those groups has ceased.

Old May 19th 19, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 19/05/2019 10:15, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

MissRiaElaine wrote:

I have found aioe.org to be pretty good.

+1 for AIOE

I thought it had some quite small message limits per day?

About 40 or 50 I think. I have hit it once or twice in a decade.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 19th 19, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Forman

Bob Henson writes:

Chris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Are there are reputable free news servers that can be accessed from an
ISP that does not have its own new server?

Free ones (eternal-september etc) are okish, but I found the occasional
downtime annoying and you can hardly complain when it's free, so I now
pay €10/year for individual.net

I'm with eternal September and the downtime is barely noticeable to me. I
guess it depends how often you check it.

It may well depend on the news client too - Andy uses Thunderbird, which
has always had a particular problem with ES and fails more than other
clients. I'd still go with Individual net though.

+1 to all the comments in this thread. I have been happy with Eternal
September since moving to them when Individual started charging.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com