Accessing non-Sky POP servers (eg Plusnet and Gmail) from a Sky broadband connection

Old May 18th 19, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default Accessing non-Sky POP servers (eg Plusnet and Gmail) from a Sky broadband connection

Assuming that I set up my email client to use authenticated logon for SMTP
(rather than anonymous) is there likely to be a problem with reading POP
email from my Plusnet account and sending email (either using Plusnet's SMTP
server or Sky's) with a "from" address of my Plusnet address?

I know some ISPs can be very fussy about letting you access "foreign" mail
servers (ie not the ones that they operate). Is Sky one of them?

Old May 18th 19, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeS

On 18/05/2019 16:13, NY wrote:
Assuming that I set up my email client to use authenticated logon for
SMTP (rather than anonymous) is there likely to be a problem with
reading POP email from my Plusnet account and sending email (either
using Plusnet's SMTP server or Sky's) with a "from" address of my
Plusnet address?

I know some ISPs can be very fussy about letting you access "foreign"
mail servers (ie not the ones that they operate). Is Sky one of them?

To access your Plusnet email account you need to use their email servers
not Sky's but you have the issue the wrong way round. What matters is
whether Plusnet will let you continue to use their free email servers if
they are no longer your ISP. Gmail will be unchanged because Google
don't care who your ISP is.

Policy seems to vary with the ISP. Some may let you continue to access
their servers to read received emails but not to send new ones or reply.

Old May 18th 19, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"MikeS" wrote in message
On 18/05/2019 16:13, NY wrote:
[...]

Ah, I should have said that I have a Plusnet connection at another house
(and will continue to do so) and use the email addresses associated with
that connection.

Actually Plusnet now support the concept of email addresses that continue to
work even after you migrate away from them to another ISP: initially there
was a small monthly subscription for this, but now I believe it's free of
charge.

So, assuming that the mail address continues to work, I'd want my existing
set up (using Plusnet's POP and SMTP servers, with authenticated SMTP) to
work from a Sky connection. Normally ISPs allow this (apart from, I think,
Orange which would only allow you to connect to their own POP/SMTP servers
and not anyone else's), but I want to make sure that Sky isn't going to be
fussy like this. And I'm only interested in POP/SMTP, not IMAP (I like to
keep my own copy of incoming messages) or webmail (likewise) so I can back
them up and retrieve them if I accidentally delete anything.

Old May 22nd 19, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Assuming that I set up my email client to use authenticated logon for SMTP
(rather than anonymous) is there likely to be a problem with reading POP
email from my Plusnet account and sending email (either using Plusnet's SMTP
server or Sky's) with a "from" address of my Plusnet address?

I know some ISPs can be very fussy about letting you access "foreign" mail
servers (ie not the ones that they operate). Is Sky one of them?

It's worth mentioning that you need to be a Sky customer to obtain a
Sky email account, but if you leave them the email account continues
to work, At least mine does, and I'm with Plusnet now.

Just to be clear,
From a Plusnet connection I can send from imap.tools.sky.com on port
993 with SSL/TLS authentication

And I can receive from smtp.tools.sky.com on port 465 with SSL/TLS
authentication.

It's not really suprising when you consider both those servers
probably resolve to the same ones that regular Yahoo account would
use.

I've just tried munging the "From" address when sending from the Sky
account, tried a Yahoo and a Gmail email, and both reached their
destination with the "From" intact.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%