Do I choose new tech or good service?

Old May 25th 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

Default Do I choose new tech or good service?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 08:20:15 -0700, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Saturday, 25 May 2019 12:06:57 UTC+1, Trolleybus wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:41:51 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/05/2019 11:50, Trolleybus wrote:
I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's
very tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I
need that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming
services we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time.

We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC
conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close
to 300Mb.

What volume of data are you moving around per month?
Do you ever suffer delays that cause problems?

For a domestic user nearly 80Mbs will probably support two streams of
4k video. By comparison my village the average speed will barely
support a single channel of basic iPlayer TV. My own connection will
do HD on a good day but on bad days even internet radio can stall and
buffer!

Gigaclear also offer a 300Mb product, at a lower price. But if price
were the only criterion I'd now be with Vodafone or Plusnet.

How much of an advantage would transfers being 4x faster give you and
is that worth the extra price and possible hassle of jumping ship?

Thank you Martin and the other responders. A faster connection would
help me in some ways to do things I didn't mention, such as perform
backups to Backblaze and maintain sites over SFTP, but I've been
persuaded that sticking with Zen is the way to go.

In part I asked the question to gather arguments for the in-village
discussions that are already taking place, but every conversation I've
had so far suggests that everybody agrees that service should be an
important factor when buying broadband right up to the point that
Vodafone/Plusnet/BT/Sky make them as offer that's 'too good to miss'.

---
https://www.avg.com

Backup is usually an overnight activity, and bandwidth matters little.

Forty years ago I worked on a system where the central main frames
phoned ~250 shops nightly during "nightline" period (00:00 - 06:00) and
took the day's transactions and current inventory off every one over
300bps modems.

45 years ago, I worked as an operator for a large towel rental company.
Their stock levels came in overnight on Telex (75 baud I think), and we
loaded the data in from the 5 track paper tape the Telex machines
produced!
Old May 25th 19, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Trolleybus wrote:
I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's very
tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I need
that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming services
we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time.

We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC
conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close
to 300Mb.

Be aware that g.fast is 'up to' on steroids. 300Mbps is the optimal speed,
but what you get may be much less depending on line length. Although they
won't sell it to you if it can't get more than 100Mbps.

FTTP gives you the advertised rate, irrespective of line length.

Obviously both are subject to congestion, contention etc beyond the local
loop.

So I wouldn't assume you'll actually get 300Mbps g.fast unless your
neighbours already can.

OK, I understand that g.fast isn't symmetrical (is Gigaclear?) but I'm
now in a quandary: do I stay on old tech with a supplier I trust; or
do I jump ship to newer tech (and a clear upgrade path, assuiming I
don't go straight for 900Mbs) with a supplier whose reliability and
customer service levels are, to me, unknown?

If gigaclear went bust, you could always go back to Zen. I don't think you
have much to lose - you could always run it overlapped for a month or two to
see how the service looks.

Theo
Old May 25th 19, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 25/05/2019 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:

45 years ago, I worked as an operator for a large towel rental company.
Their stock levels came in overnight on Telex (75 baud I think), and we
loaded the data in from the 5 track paper tape the Telex machines
produced!

Telex was generally 50 baud. Although the Creed 444 (PO model 15)
teleprinter could be modified for 75 baud if required.

Lovely machines, used one on RTTY for many a year, wish I still had it
(although the neighbours probably don't..!)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 26th 19, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 25 May 2019 23:36:23 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 25/05/2019 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:

45 years ago, I worked as an operator for a large towel rental company.
Their stock levels came in overnight on Telex (75 baud I think), and we
loaded the data in from the 5 track paper tape the Telex machines
produced!

Telex was generally 50 baud. Although the Creed 444 (PO model 15)
teleprinter could be modified for 75 baud if required.

Lovely machines, used one on RTTY for many a year, wish I still had it
(although the neighbours probably don't..!)

Yes, 50 baud sounds right. Not that I ever saw data actually arriving -
we were just presented with lots of small rolls of 5 track tape to read
in.

The Creed factory was actually only a couple of miles from where I
worked! I believe it was an Underwood factory before that.
Old May 26th 19, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trolleybus

wrote:

[...]

I worked for a supplier to one of the retaul banks at about the same
time. The 'morning reports' sent to every branch was the big
challenge.