Do I choose new tech or good service?

Old May 24th 19, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trolleybus

Default Do I choose new tech or good service?

I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's very
tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I need
that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming services
we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time.

We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC
conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close
to 300Mb.

Gigaclear also offer a 300Mb product, at a lower price. But if price
were the only criterion I'd now be with Vodafone or Plusnet.

OK, I understand that g.fast isn't symmetrical (is Gigaclear?) but I'm
now in a quandary: do I stay on old tech with a supplier I trust; or
do I jump ship to newer tech (and a clear upgrade path, assuiming I
don't go straight for 900Mbs) with a supplier whose reliability and
customer service levels are, to me, unknown?

A third option is to use a Gigaclear reseller. I'm fairly sure they
exist but I can't find who they are.

Opinions?

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 24th 19, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 24 May 2019 11:50:10 UTC+1, Trolleybus wrote:
[...]

I get stable 4K video over an ~50Mbps BT FTTC connection and Wi-Fi in the HH6.

I can't think of much that one might want domestically that needs more bandwidth than that.

Obviously a busy office of video editors might justify a Gigabit connection.
Old May 24th 19, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 24 May 2019 11:50:09 +0100, Trolleybus
wrote:

[...]

If you're cureently with Zen and getting 78Mb/s and that's good enough
for everything you need, then stay where you are and stop worrying.

Ask yourself two questions-

1. Would 900Mb/s, or even 300Mb/s, do anything more for you that's
actually useful than the service you already have?

2. In the event of a technical problem, how much would you value the
speed and efficiency with which it was fixed?

Be honest with yourself. Impressive numbers are not everything.

My suggestion would be that unless you're considering running a
business with hundreds of employees or involving lots of video
traffic, the question you're posing is equivalent to asking which kind
of racing car is best for going to the shops. What you already have is
more than you're ever likely to need for a typical domestic situation.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 24th 19, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 24/05/2019 11:50, Trolleybus wrote:
[...]

Suggestion: have a look at the history of Gigaclear. IMSMC they have
either gone bust or been bailed out twice. They do the
superfastdevonandsomerset and are years behind in their rollout.

Rather the devil you know?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 24th 19, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 24 May 2019 13:28:27 +0100
Woody wrote:

[...]

Indeed. And Zen are far from being a devil, they show the others how it
should be done.

--
Davey.
Old May 24th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Trolleybus
writes
[...]

Our village has a few of the outlying houses served by Gigaclear.
Friends of ours have a 50/50 ( I think) service. However their options
were 2MB (unreliably) on ADSL or Gigaclear - so no choice really. As I
understand it Gigaclear services are symmetric.

Service has been fine (as far as I know) for the 2+ years they have had
it, but Gigaclear keep having to come back and rebury the fibre sheaths
after the badgers dig them up along the roadside banks. The sheaths are
not in ducts, just buried fairly shallowly in the roadside dirt.

Two things to remember. Gigaclear don't offer any E-mail services, so If
you are with an ISP and use their E-mail service, a bit of juggling is
needed - but looking at your domain address, that probably won't concern
you.

The second is that to get the savings, you will need to switch your
landline number to a VOIP provider and factor in the cost of that
service as opposed to the line rental + calls package - again assuming
you still use a landline for calls (incoming or outgoing).

A final thought - I am not sure ( they are a private company and don't
publish their accounts) what their financial state is. Most of their
money seems to be from investors or from public sector contracts to roll
out fibre. How sustainable their business model is long term remains to
be seen.

If Zen folded (unlikely) you would have the fall back of a range of
other suppliers who use the Openreach infrastructure. If Gigaclear go
under in the future, you would be dependent on someone else picking up
their infrastructure and continuing to supply you with service - and as
the monopoly supplier there is limited guarantee of competitive prices.

In your position I would stick with Zen.
--
Invalid

Old May 25th 19, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 24/05/2019 11:50, Trolleybus wrote:
I live in a village that's just been fibred up by Gigaclear. It's very
tempting to just sign up for 900Mbs. But I really don't think I need
that speed. There are only two of us and the only streaming services
we use are Netflix etc., one thing at a time.

We're currently with Zen and getting 78Mbs on an up-to-80 FTTC
conection. If I stick with Zen I can upgrade to g.fast and get close
to 300Mb.

What volume of data are you moving around per month?
Do you ever suffer delays that cause problems?

For a domestic user nearly 80Mbs will probably support two streams of 4k
video. By comparison my village the average speed will barely support a
single channel of basic iPlayer TV. My own connection will do HD on a
good day but on bad days even internet radio can stall and buffer!

Gigaclear also offer a 300Mb product, at a lower price. But if price
were the only criterion I'd now be with Vodafone or Plusnet.

How much of an advantage would transfers being 4x faster give you and is
that worth the extra price and possible hassle of jumping ship?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 25th 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trolleybus

On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:41:51 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

Thank you Martin and the other responders. A faster connection would
help me in some ways to do things I didn't mention, such as perform
backups to Backblaze and maintain sites over SFTP, but I've been
persuaded that sticking with Zen is the way to go.

In part I asked the question to gather arguments for the in-village
discussions that are already taking place, but every conversation I've
had so far suggests that everybody agrees that service should be an
important factor when buying broadband right up to the point that
Vodafone/Plusnet/BT/Sky make them as offer that's 'too good to miss'.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 25th 19, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Backup is usually an overnight activity, and bandwidth matters little.

Forty years ago I worked on a system where the central main frames phoned ~250 shops nightly during "nightline" period (00:00 - 06:00) and took the day's transactions and current inventory off every one over 300bps modems.