Virgin Broadband

Old May 28th 19, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Default Virgin Broadband

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 17:38, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole here.

Couldn't touch them with a pole or anything else around here. No service
anywhere in the area and unlikely to be in either the near or long term
future...

We use them for fibre/cable broadband. No problems so far. Also now have a
mobile sim only contract. £10 a month for 10gig data and more minutes and
texts than I'll ever use.

£10 lasts me at least a couple of years on PAYG. The Three Data Reward
SIM gives me more data than I'll ever need while I'm out and I send
about a dozen texts a year if that.

Fine, if that suits you. Just making the point that not everyone's
experience with Virgin is bad. I doubt I'll use 10gig a month regularly
but if I stream videos on my iPad whilst away on holiday say, the data can
get munched up pretty rapidly.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 28th 19, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And then their marketing methods

Ah yes, their marketing methods.

At our old house every so often they'd do a leaflet drop asking if we'd
like to switch to Virgin cable. As we were ADSL only on the wrong end of
an aluminium loop the answer was of course yes.

The only problem being that they didn't serve our street...

Andy
Old May 28th 19, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 28/05/2019 21:10, Tim+ wrote:

I doubt I'll use 10gig a month regularly
but if I stream videos on my iPad whilst away on holiday say, the data can
get munched up pretty rapidly.

If you want to do that. Personally, I can wait until I'm home to watch
the telly.

Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 28th 19, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 21:10, Tim+ wrote:

I doubt I'll use 10gig a month regularly
but if I stream videos on my iPad whilst away on holiday say, the data can
get munched up pretty rapidly.

If you want to do that. Personally, I can wait until I'm home to watch
the telly.

Fair enough, but my point wasn't to address your use, it was to provide
counter-experience to all those who wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge
pole.

It's not always about you.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 28th 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 28/05/2019 22:24, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 21:10, Tim+ wrote:

I doubt I'll use 10gig a month regularly
but if I stream videos on my iPad whilst away on holiday say, the data can
get munched up pretty rapidly.

If you want to do that. Personally, I can wait until I'm home to watch
the telly.

Fair enough, but my point wasn't to address your use, it was to provide
counter-experience to all those who wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge
pole.

The only gripe I have with Virgin is I don't get the chance to have a
gripe about them, their service simply isn't available. I'm talking
about broadband here, not mobile.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 29th 19, 05:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 21:10, Tim+ wrote:

I doubt I'll use 10gig a month regularly
but if I stream videos on my iPad whilst away on holiday say, the data can
get munched up pretty rapidly.

If you want to do that. Personally, I can wait until I'm home to watch
the telly.

Fair enough, but my point wasn't to address your use, it was to provide
counter-experience to all those who wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge
pole.

It's not always about you.

Tim

My VM has worked without a hitch for over 25 years. Had it since cable
modems were first a thing in the UK.

Offspring have had it in various student houses in other cities, also
without issue.

Old May 29th 19, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 28 May 2019 21:11:16 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

And then their marketing methods

Ah yes, their marketing methods.

At our old house every so often they'd do a leaflet drop asking if we'd
like to switch to Virgin cable. As we were ADSL only on the wrong end of
an aluminium loop the answer was of course yes.

The only problem being that they didn't serve our street...

Same here. I can't remember how I eventually managed to persuade them
that it was pointless advertising to a street they didn't serve, but
it took several years. For a communications company their departments
didn't seem to communicate very well amongst themselves.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 29th 19, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And then their marketing methods

Ah yes, their marketing methods.

At our old house every so often they'd do a leaflet drop asking if we'd
like to switch to Virgin cable. As we were ADSL only on the wrong end of
an aluminium loop the answer was of course yes.

The only problem being that they didn't serve our street...

Andy

I'm in a small enclave of a few streets that VM (well Nynex actually)
"forgot" to cable.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 30th 19, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 30/05/2019 17:10, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 21:11:16 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And then their marketing methods

Ah yes, their marketing methods.

At our old house every so often they'd do a leaflet drop asking if we'd
like to switch to Virgin cable. As we were ADSL only on the wrong end of
an aluminium loop the answer was of course yes.

The only problem being that they didn't serve our street...

A friend of mine lived on a street which /was/ served by Virgin cable.
Just that his pair of houses had been built after the duct was installed,
and there didn't seem to be any way that they could come back after so
many years and install the "tap off" for the two new houses.

They don't 'tap off' - they run a new siamese cable (coax + 2pair) from
the property to the local street cab. If there is no duct in place they
can install it but at your cost.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 30th 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

Or these days, just coax and give you some sort of VOIP.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls