Virgin Broadband

Old May 30th 19, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Virgin Broadband

On Thu, 30 May 2019 19:33:48 +0100, Woody wrote:

On Thu 30/05/2019 17:10, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 21:11:16 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And then their marketing methods

Ah yes, their marketing methods.

At our old house every so often they'd do a leaflet drop asking if we'd
like to switch to Virgin cable. As we were ADSL only on the wrong end of
an aluminium loop the answer was of course yes.

The only problem being that they didn't serve our street...

A friend of mine lived on a street which /was/ served by Virgin cable.
Just that his pair of houses had been built after the duct was installed,
and there didn't seem to be any way that they could come back after so
many years and install the "tap off" for the two new houses.

They don't 'tap off' - they run a new siamese cable (coax + 2pair) from
the property to the local street cab. If there is no duct in place they
can install it but at your cost.

Sorry, by "tap off" I meant the little plastic box in the pavement with
the liftable lid, giving access to the existing duct.
Old May 31st 19, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 30/05/2019 23:05, Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

That's a good example of quality. Around here (and in Sheffield which
was a Telewest area) they are all cast iron access points.

At least ours was until the council mower smashed it to pieces!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 31st 19, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

A friend of mine lived on a street which /was/ served by Virgin cable.
Just that his pair of houses had been built after the duct was installed,
and there didn't seem to be any way that they could come back after so
many years and install the "tap off" for the two new houses.

They don't 'tap off' - they run a new siamese cable (coax + 2pair) from
the property to the local street cab. If there is no duct in place they
can install it but at your cost.

VM call it "shotgun cable", presumably because the shape of its
cross-section is reminiscent of the double barrel of a shotgun.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old May 31st 19, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

wrote:

A friend of mine lived on a street which /was/ served by Virgin cable.
Just that his pair of houses had been built after the duct was installed,
and there didn't seem to be any way that they could come back after so
many years and install the "tap off" for the two new houses.

They don't 'tap off' - they run a new siamese cable (coax + 2pair) from
the property to the local street cab. If there is no duct in place they
can install it but at your cost.

VM call it "shotgun cable", presumably because the shape of its
cross-section is reminiscent of the double barrel of a shotgun.

I thought that was satellite cable (when you have two LNBs)?

I would have thought that Siamesed BB cable and a phone line wouldn't look
much like a shotgun barrel in cross section.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 31st 19, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

A friend of mine lived on a street which /was/ served by Virgin cable.
Just that his pair of houses had been built after the duct was installed,
and there didn't seem to be any way that they could come back after so
many years and install the "tap off" for the two new houses.

They don't 'tap off' - they run a new siamese cable (coax + 2pair) from
the property to the local street cab. If there is no duct in place they
can install it but at your cost.

VM call it "shotgun cable", presumably because the shape of its
cross-section is reminiscent of the double barrel of a shotgun.

I thought that was satellite cable (when you have two LNBs)?

I would have thought that Siamesed BB cable and a phone line wouldn't look
much like a shotgun barrel in cross section.

Well is does - ish. The 2pair is a tad smaller than the coax but it is
big enough to be otherwise called 'figure-of-eight.'

Old June 3rd 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

wrote:

If there is no duct in place they can install it but at your cost.

Or install it FOC for customer who signs for a BB, phone and TV
package, as they did for three of my neighbours in our previously
cable-free enclave who separately decided they wanted Virgin services.
When the area was cabled the installer required approval from all six
householders to install the cable under the private block-paved access
roads. They didn't get it so cable wasn't installed. (I agreed
because, although I wasn't interested in the TV, all that was on offer
at the time, I thought that it might have been useful at some later
date. My neighbours weren't so forward thinking.)
When the three houses mentioned ordered the service it was provided by
what I assume to be armoured cable laid directly in the ground. Some
of it is over the ground under a prickly bush. A new connection point
was installed for only one of them.
Old June 9th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 30 May 2019 12:24:23 +0100 (GMT+01:00), just as I was about to
take a herb, "Graham." disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

When my son had VM in his student digs in Liverpool, he was
getting sub dialup speed from the supposedly 50Mb/s connection
that they were paying top whack for.

Cripes!
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Old June 10th 19, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

and wrote:

When my son had VM in his student digs in Liverpool, he was
getting sub dialup speed from the supposedly 50Mb/s connection
that they were paying top whack for.

Cripes!

Kensington area, very posh.
The ice-cream van came round after midnight even in winter, playing
"Teddy-bear's picnic", only it wasn't selling ice-cream.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 11th 19, 07:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 30 May 2019 12:24:23 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Graham."
wrote:

When my son had VM in his student digs in Liverpool, he was
getting sub dialup speed from the supposedly 50Mb/s connection
that they were paying top whack for.

Student digs, you say? How many other users was he sharing this 50Mb/s
connection with, either officially or unofficially?

How often did they change the wi-fi password and how were new
passwords conveyed to those who were supposed to have them?

Just wondering...

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old June 11th 19, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 07:43:49 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Roderick Stewart disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

Student digs, you say? How many other users was he sharing this 50Mb/s
connection with, either officially or unofficially?

How often did they change the wi-fi password and how were new
passwords conveyed to those who were supposed to have them?

Just wondering...

With somebody as technically adept as G3ZVT on the case, there is no
need to wonder at all ;-).

73 de G4DWV 4X1LT