Interest 'BT' try-on call this morning

Old June 10th 19, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Interest 'BT' try-on call this morning

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall
Old June 10th 19, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

tim

Old June 10th 19, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

Well this one was a synthesised voice. They seem to have almost given up using
real people for the calls, and presumably only put it through to a human if
the called party presses a key in response.

At least the ambulance chasers ("We have information that you were in an
accident that was not your fault, is that correct?") make an effort to
sound natural and use voice recognition. But it confuses the automated
script if I respond with something else such as "Oh, what date was that?".

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old June 10th 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On 10/06/2019 15:14, Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

Well this one was a synthesised voice. They seem to have almost given up using
real people for the calls, and presumably only put it through to a human if
the called party presses a key in response.

At least the ambulance chasers ("We have information that you were in an
accident that was not your fault, is that correct?") make an effort to
sound natural and use voice recognition. But it confuses the automated
script if I respond with something else such as "Oh, what date was that?".

Cheers
Tony

I thought the same, at least record a real person. It seemed odd being a number withheld as well, I guess it works as a crude
filter. I've have fun with the 'you've been in an accident calls in the past', 'Yes I was drunk and ran over 10 children ...' The
Indian must have thought I was kidding because he said he couldn't help me!.
Old June 10th 19, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 10 June 2019 14:15:19 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

tim

I get some every week.

I just leave them off hook on my main line, although sometimes it defaults to a real fraudster even if you press nothing, however on the domestic line I sometimes give them the run around about "what IP address is it?", "when are you installing the internet then (line does not have DSL)" or querying if they have considered prostitution as a career, because whilst still immoral it is at least honest and a lot better paid...
Old June 10th 19, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 10/06/2019 14:13, tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him
that i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

You're too nice. I tell them they are evil scamming c*nts, and that
normally provokes them to hang up on me.

--
Mark
Old June 10th 19, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

I got one last week, Gateshead number, well spoken Brit with a lot of
background office noise wanting to talk to me about phone, broadband and
mobile and offers they could do for me (I am a BT customer despite using
VM for B/B.)

I told him I wasn't interested and he asked why. I told him I didn't
believe he was genuinely calling from BT, wished him good-bye, and put
the phone down.

When I rang the CLI number it was really BT - but they should know
better than to cold call which they have never done before!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 10th 19, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 10/06/2019 14:13, tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him
that i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

You're too nice. I tell them they are evil scamming c*nts, and that
normally provokes them to hang up on me.

I did once ask one if

"John, do you like your job scamming old ladies out of their pension money"

he hung up on me

tim

Old June 10th 19, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In article ,
Tony Mountifield wrote:

Well this one was a synthesised voice. They seem to have almost given up using
real people for the calls,

Minor improvement, at least one of the BT scammers has corrected their
synthetic woeful grammar, from "We are hereby to inform you that your
broadband ..." to something actually in English.

Well done. Now if only you could improve it to the point you didn't make
the calls, that'd be good.

I had one last week, real person, "I am calling on behalf of .... BT"

Are you sure?

"Yes, sir, British Telecom".

Only it sounded like you'd forgotten which company you were pretending
to work for. Do go on ...

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old June 11th 19, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 14:14:47 +0000 (UTC), (Tony
Mountifield) wrote:

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

Well this one was a synthesised voice. They seem to have almost given up using
real people for the calls, and presumably only put it through to a human if
the called party presses a key in response.

At least the ambulance chasers ("We have information that you were in an
accident that was not your fault, is that correct?") make an effort to
sound natural and use voice recognition. But it confuses the automated
script if I respond with something else such as "Oh, what date was that?".

If a call comes from an unrecognised or undeclared number, my phone
responds automatically with something like "This number is protected
by BT Callguard; please state your name". If they don't say anything
(and scam callers and autodialers invariably don't), my phone doesn't
even ring. It creates a call log that I can check later if I can be
bothered, and sometimes if I'm really bored I put the numbers into
Duckduckgo or Google to see if anything is known about them, but
mostly I just delete the list. I haven't been disturbed by an actual
scam call for many years. Everybody should get a phone like this.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com