Interest 'BT' try-on call this morning

Old June 11th 19, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson[_2_]

Default Interest 'BT' try-on call this morning

Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 14:14:47 +0000 (UTC), (Tony
Mountifield) wrote:

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him that
i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

Well this one was a synthesised voice. They seem to have almost given up using
real people for the calls, and presumably only put it through to a human if
the called party presses a key in response.

At least the ambulance chasers ("We have information that you were in an
accident that was not your fault, is that correct?") make an effort to
sound natural and use voice recognition. But it confuses the automated
script if I respond with something else such as "Oh, what date was that?".

If a call comes from an unrecognised or undeclared number, my phone
responds automatically with something like "This number is protected
by BT Callguard; please state your name". If they don't say anything
(and scam callers and autodialers invariably don't), my phone doesn't
even ring. It creates a call log that I can check later if I can be
bothered, and sometimes if I'm really bored I put the numbers into
Duckduckgo or Google to see if anything is known about them, but
mostly I just delete the list. I haven't been disturbed by an actual
scam call for many years. Everybody should get a phone like this.

Hear, Hear. In our case we haven't had a spam call for three years. If
everyone had one the spammers would all be out of business.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

I can't see the point in the theatre. All that sex and violence. I get
enough of that at home. Apart from the sex, of course. - Baldrick - Sense
and Senility
Old June 11th 19, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 11/06/2019 08:32, Bob Henson wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

If a call comes from an unrecognised or undeclared number, my phone
responds automatically with something like "This number is protected
by BT Callguard; please state your name". If they don't say anything
(and scam callers and autodialers invariably don't), my phone doesn't
even ring. It creates a call log that I can check later if I can be
bothered, and sometimes if I'm really bored I put the numbers into
Duckduckgo or Google to see if anything is known about them, but
mostly I just delete the list. I haven't been disturbed by an actual
scam call for many years. Everybody should get a phone like this.

Hear, Hear. In our case we haven't had a spam call for three years. If
everyone had one the spammers would all be out of business.

I agree in principle, but how would I get it to work with VoIP..? We
have 7 incoming numbers terminating on multiple 8-line IP phones. The
only "normal" landline is the one that broadband is delivered on and
which terminates on the fax machine (yes, we still use it..!)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 11th 19, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 10/06/2019 14:13, tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him
that i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

You're too nice. I tell them they are evil scamming c*nts, and that
normally provokes them to hang up on me.

I did once ask one if

"John, do you like your job scamming old ladies out of their pension money"

he hung up on me

tim

I say to them, "John, let me give you some advice. Use an Asian name
to go with your Asian accent, you will undoubtedly gain more
credibility with the people you call".

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 12th 19, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On 10/06/2019 14:13, tim... wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Another dodgy BT try-on call - I'm not even with BT LOL

https://soundcloud.com/myozone/dodgeybtcall

I got one last week

I couldn't be bothered to give the guy the run-around and just told him
that i didn't want to speak to him and put the phone down

You're too nice. I tell them they are evil scamming c*nts, and that
normally provokes them to hang up on me.

I did once ask one if

"John, do you like your job scamming old ladies out of their pension money"

he hung up on me

tim

I say to them, "John, let me give you some advice. Use an Asian name
to go with your Asian accent, you will undoubtedly gain more
credibility with the people you call".

This guy does a good job at exposing the call centers https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBN...3ic84vw/videos

well work a watch ...