VPN on Windows 10

Old June 10th 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default VPN on Windows 10

On a Windows 7 PC I can set up a dial-up VPN connection to a Draytek
router at a remote location.

Using the same IP address and login credentials I try to set up a VPN on
a Windows 10 PC. It fails saying "Windows could not create your
connection" - a typical Microsoft unhelpful error message!

Does anybody know why the VPN client works with Windows 7 and not with
Windows 10, and so what to change in Windows 10 to fix this?

--
Graham J
Old June 11th 19, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Graham J wrote:
On a Windows 7 PC I can set up a dial-up VPN connection to a Draytek
router at a remote location.

Using the same IP address and login credentials I try to set up a VPN on
a Windows 10 PC. It fails saying "Windows could not create your
connection" - a typical Microsoft unhelpful error message!

Does anybody know why the VPN client works with Windows 7 and not with
Windows 10, and so what to change in Windows 10 to fix this?

What client?

I'm using a sonic wall VPN client with work and it's fine on won10.

Old June 11th 19, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
On a Windows 7 PC I can set up a dial-up VPN connection to a Draytek
router at a remote location.

Using the same IP address and login credentials I try to set up a VPN on
a Windows 10 PC. It fails saying "Windows could not create your
connection" - a typical Microsoft unhelpful error message!

Does anybody know why the VPN client works with Windows 7 and not with
Windows 10, and so what to change in Windows 10 to fix this?

What client?

I'm using a sonic wall VPN client with work and it's fine on won10.

The client built into Windows 10. Similarly for Windows 7, the
built-in client

--
Graham J
Old June 11th 19, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
On a Windows 7 PC I can set up a dial-up VPN connection to a Draytek
router at a remote location.

Using the same IP address and login credentials I try to set up a VPN on
a Windows 10 PC. It fails saying "Windows could not create your
connection" - a typical Microsoft unhelpful error message!

Does anybody know why the VPN client works with Windows 7 and not with
Windows 10, and so what to change in Windows 10 to fix this?

What client?

I'm using a sonic wall VPN client with work and it's fine on won10.

The client built into Windows 10. Similarly for Windows 7, the
built-in client

Ah, didn't know it had a built-in client. Sorry I can't help further.

Old June 12th 19, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 11/06/2019 21:04, Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
On a Windows 7 PC I can set up a dial-up VPN connection to a Draytek
router at a remote location.

Using the same IP address and login credentials I try to set up a VPN on
a Windows 10 PC. It fails saying "Windows could not create your
connection" - a typical Microsoft unhelpful error message!

Does anybody know why the VPN client works with Windows 7 and not with
Windows 10, and so what to change in Windows 10 to fix this?

What client?

I'm using a sonic wall VPN client with work and it's fine on won10.

The client built into Windows 10. Similarly for Windows 7, the
built-in client

Ah, didn't know it had a built-in client. Sorry I can't help further.

Microsoft's own implementation of L2TP/IPsec

Use "L2TP/IPsec windows 10" in a google search and you will come across
a minefield. Tread carefully, this is where scammers have laid traps for
the unwary with fixitforme packages that will explode.

Might be this?

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowl...p-vpn-servers/

--
Adrian C
Old June 13th 19, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

In my case I'm using PPTP, not L2TP/IPsec.

PPTP works with Windows 7 talking to a Draytek router (I've used many,
from the 2600 series, 2800, 2820, 2830, 2860, and 2900 series). PPTP is
needed because the user dialling in may be anywhere. By contrast
L2TP/IPsec appears (with the Draytek) to need a static IP address or
some additional mechanism to identify the dial-in user, whereas PPTP
only requires a username/password pair.

The issue is that with exactly the same settings, a Windows 10 machine
fails to establish a VPN.

Other people have seen the same problem, see:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/41642230-946a-4c0d-b04c-38cb0c63e609/windows-10-builtin-vpn-pptp-not-working?forum=win10itpronetworking

Not seen any answer yet.

--
Graham J
Old June 14th 19, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

I use the native client with my router to a dynamic IP. You do need to
generate and install a certificate but it seems to work ok...

Dave
Old June 14th 19, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

David Wade wrote:

[snip]

I use the native client with my router to a dynamic IP. You do need to
generate and install a certificate but it seems to work ok...

In my case the remote client has the dynamic IP, and the Draytek router
is the VPN server having the static IP.

In the Draytek configuration page the only way to enable the "IKE
Authentication Method" (which offers either the pre-shared key or an
X.509 certificate) is to first enable "Specify Remote Client" which
provides for either an IP address or a "Peer ID". I do see that there
is a separate page for "VPN IKE/IPsec General Setup" and this would
allow me to set up one key for all dial-in clients; which might work.

It would be much easier if I could get the PPTP option to work!

--
Graham J
Old June 15th 19, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 14/06/2019 08:24, Graham J wrote:
David Wade wrote:

[snip]

I use the native client with my router to a dynamic IP. You do need to
generate and install a certificate but it seems to work ok...

In my case the remote client has the dynamic IP, and the Draytek router
is the VPN server having the static IP.

In my case both have dynamic IP. The router registers the VPN address
with a DNS name.

In the Draytek configuration page the only way to enable the "IKE
Authentication Method" (which offers either the pre-shared key or an
X.509 certificate) is to first enable "Specify Remote Client" which
provides for either an IP address or a "Peer ID".* I do see that there
is a separate page for "VPN IKE/IPsec General Setup" and this would
allow me to set up one key for all dial-in clients; which might work.

I know I had to do lots of twiddling to get it working. Perhaps its that
the 2862 I have has different options?

It would be much easier if I could get the PPTP option to work!

Have you opened a case on the Drayteck support site? They seem very helpfull

Dave
Old June 16th 19, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 13/06/2019 16:50, Graham J wrote:
In my case I'm using PPTP.Ha!

You poor devil.