Sharp Practice - BT renege again

Old June 21st 19, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Sharp Practice - BT renege again

Over a year ago I took out an [re]fresh month contract for BT Broadband that included free BT Sport. This was mostly to watch the Ashes, but as it was at night and my student days are behind me I couldn't stay awake enough to watch most of it (and we lost). I also watched the odd football match.

The Sport ran out last month, but I let it roll on briefly because English teams were still in both European football competitions.

On 2nd June I rang up to cancel the Sport as there is no cricket I did not want pay 6 per month for it. After some discussion I was instead persuaded to continue half price at 3 per month [and got the broadband contract extended for another 18 months at the same reduced price.

To my surprise just a fortnight later BT emailed me to say they were increasing my monthly sub by 4 per month. (so 7 for me and 10 for rack rate customers).

This time there was a totally unsatisfactory conversation and I cancelled.

I am not sure how BT thinks they can get away with such outrageous rip off?

I suppose if only a third of current customers cancel BT will still be up on the deal and more so if they have fees based on viewership and consequently pay less to the content providers.
Old June 21st 19, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 06:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

[...]

It was similar bait-and-switch accounting that persuaded me to leave BT
for my landline. Trying to follow processes such as 'charge the
next month at x', then 'change the charge a third of the way into the
month, so refund the second two thirds', then 'recharge at the new
rate', etc. Since I changed to Zen, some years ago, I can't remember any
increases.

--
Davey.

Old June 22nd 19, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

[...]

Indeed - one pays up front for a year in advance and although one has bought and paid in advance and then they put the price up and take more money. A bit like if you fill the tank on your car up, but the next time you pass the petrol station the price has gone up so they swipe another couple of quid off your credit card.

Plenty more where that came from.

For may years BT business used to ring up every so often asking to get back lines (that they cut off in botched migrations) and calls (where they dishonoured a low set up charge deal) and mobiles (where they floated theirs off as O2) back. Initially I enjoyed reminding them how it was their own actions that resulted in all this lost business, but eventually I got bored and they thankfully gave up.