Are there 'home' wired APs available?

Old July 20th 19, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default Are there 'home' wired APs available?

I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated management
control systems that many seem to have.

I.e. I want wired 'backhaul', that is it will have a wired connection
to my main VDSL router and I'd like (but it isn't vital) to have one
or two more RJ45s for local client devices. I don't want a full blown
router, apart from anything else all the extra software/configuration
is pointless and likely to introduce bugs. I would like, if possible,
low level configuration access to the WiFi set up.

Is there anything like this available? I guess something like the
TP-Link EAP225 is the sort of thing I'm after but that is definitely
'business' and has all the central management stuff that I don't need.
It's also quite expensive (I probably want two or three of these).

--
Chris Green

Old July 20th 19, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sat 20/07/2019 10:39, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated management
control systems that many seem to have.

I.e. I want wired 'backhaul', that is it will have a wired connection
to my main VDSL router and I'd like (but it isn't vital) to have one
or two more RJ45s for local client devices. I don't want a full blown
router, apart from anything else all the extra software/configuration
is pointless and likely to introduce bugs. I would like, if possible,
low level configuration access to the WiFi set up.

Is there anything like this available? I guess something like the
TP-Link EAP225 is the sort of thing I'm after but that is definitely
'business' and has all the central management stuff that I don't need.
It's also quite expensive (I probably want two or three of these).

Get a used router - a BT Homehub5 is a good start as they can be found
quite cheaply. All you need do is turn off the DHCP, choose a channel
(which may or may not be the same as the main router) and set an SSID so
you can identify it. Also set a fixed IP address that is in the same
range as the main router but outside the main router DHCP allocation.

Plug you interlink cable into one of the yellow sockets on the back and
any wired connections into one of the other sockets ans off you go. If
you need more than three wired connections just get a small switch and
connect it to one socket only.

I have exactly this only 6ft away from me to spread cover across the
house and it works perfectly.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old July 20th 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

I'm after some WiFi access points

There are certainly 'cheap' access points only, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA801ND-/dp/B004UBU8IE

as soon as you start wanting extra ethernet ports, there's not really
much difference in kit between that and a full blown router ...
Old July 20th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 20/07/2019 10:39, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated management
control systems that many seem to have.

I.e. I want wired 'backhaul', that is it will have a wired connection
to my main VDSL router and I'd like (but it isn't vital) to have one
or two more RJ45s for local client devices. I don't want a full blown
router, apart from anything else all the extra software/configuration
is pointless and likely to introduce bugs. I would like, if possible,
low level configuration access to the WiFi set up.

I think this is the same one as I got and for about the same price. The
link on Amazon for my model is defunct now. It works fine for me, but it
was a royal PITA to set up the first time. The Chinglish instructions
make no sense at all and when you configure it as a wired in wired out
plus Wifi its own config page is no longer accessible so you have to
get everything exactly right or start again from factory reset.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Router-XING...dp/B06WVD3TYC/

By default it is plug and play to piggyback and rebroadcast an existing
wireless netwok. Anything else you have to work to get it going.

I interposed mine between the TV wired ethernet feed and the TV (it has
a pair of wired ethernet connections). Only thing wrong with it is that
the Chinese obviously didn't know which way up a UK socket was!

Is there anything like this available? I guess something like the
TP-Link EAP225 is the sort of thing I'm after but that is definitely
'business' and has all the central management stuff that I don't need.
It's also quite expensive (I probably want two or three of these).

Mine sometimes misbehaves (once every few months) with iP*ds seeing it
but refusing to connect. Power cycling has always fixed that.

For 13 you can't really go wrong.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 20th 19, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

Apple AirPort Extreme from EBay. You can get them for about 30. I've got
one doing exactly what you want to do.

Old July 20th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Woody wrote:
[...]

Yes, I could take the router with things turned off approach, I may
have to in the end. However I was hoping to find something more
oriented towards being a 'good' AP without any of the unwanted (and
possibly buggy) stuff in a router.

--
Chris Green

Old July 20th 19, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated management
control systems that many seem to have.

It doesn't fit your requirements, but the controller for the Ubiquiti APs
runs on a Raspberry Pi - I set one up the other day and it took a few
minutes (it helps if you've used a Pi before):
https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/in...y-pi-in-5-min/

There's then lots of things that can be configured in the wifi setup if you
wish to. For instance, coordinating all your different APs so their channels
don't overlap. Thay's the advantage of a centralised controller if you have
multiple APs.

Theo
Old July 20th 19, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated
management control systems that many seem to have.

TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, 21 from Amazon,
bought one a few months ago, perfect.

Beware not all modem/routers can be used as access points, I first bought a
TP-LINK VDSL router, but despite saying so, I could not make it work as a pure
access point ignoring the WAN interface.

Angus

Old July 20th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article , Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some WiFi access points which are probably 'business'
oriented in their facilities but don't have the complicated management
control systems that many seem to have.

I just got a couple of Unifi UAP-AC-LITEs which I'm very happy with,
but they are intended to have a controller running. You can
supposedly control them with a phone app, but I haven't tried it.
Handoff between them works perfectly.

I'd like (but it isn't vital) to have one
or two more RJ45s for local client devices.

They don't have that. Unmanaged switches are cheap though,
e.g. Netgear GS305 is 13.99 on Amazon.

-- Richard
Old July 20th 19, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Richard Tobin wrote:

I just got a couple of Unifi UAP-AC-LITEs

I hear good things about Ubiquiti kit, but I have similar feelings about
them to Apple.