Weird 4G speeds

Old August 17th 19, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Default Weird 4G speeds

Our local 4G speed sucks when it deigns to visit our house. Today I was
running Speedtest in various parts of our town and surroundings. At my
house I was getting 5.82 Mbps download and 0.24 Mbps upload.

Down on the beach I could get 18 Mbps download and 34.6 Mbps upload. Isn't
this a reversal of the “normal” download/upload ratios?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 18th 19, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sat 17/08/2019 22:44, Tim+ wrote:
Our local 4G speed sucks when it deigns to visit our house. Today I was
running Speedtest in various parts of our town and surroundings. At my
house I was getting 5.82 Mbps download and 0.24 Mbps upload.

Down on the beach I could get 18 Mbps download and 34.6 Mbps upload. Isn't
this a reversal of the “normal” download/upload ratios?

Tim

4G is even more dependent upon signal levels than 3G and as the path
between the base station and your mobile is non-reciprocal (in terms of
transmitter power) hence why you get 5.82/0.24 at home.

On the beach it is likely to be the number of people downloading as
there is still only a limited amount of data available on a base
station. If you had tried that that early morning or late evening when
few people were around I would have expected a much higher download speed.

Here at home in an urban area with the (O2) 'stick' base station about
400m away I get around 15Mb down and a bit less up with a following
wind. Last week we were about the same distance and almost line of sight
from a 400KV pylon site in rural North Wales and I was getting 57Mb down
and about 40Mb up.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old August 18th 19, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

I doubt that there were more than a dozen people within a half mile radius
of this bit of beach. It's moderately remote.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 18th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 22:44:05 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Our local 4G speed sucks when it deigns to visit our house. Today I was
running Speedtest in various parts of our town and surroundings. At my
house I was getting 5.82 Mbps download and 0.24 Mbps upload.

Down on the beach I could get 18 Mbps download and 34.6 Mbps upload. Isn't
this a reversal of the “normal” download/upload ratios?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

A colleague got similar reversal on 3 in Manchester, however now he has installed pro' equipment, it seems to be working OK and three to four times faster on 4G than his flaky ADSL.

When I originally tested 4G at home (nearly two years ago) I got 76Mbps down and about half that up (did not note it alas) from an O2 macro cell ~250m away.